Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Apple releases Photoshop killer: Aperture. Where's GIMP?

Apple releases Photoshop killer: Aperture. Where's GIMP?

Karen Hill

Apple is just amazing. Their hardware is so awesome and stylish that
it is common to see Java, Linux and Unix developers carting their
PowerBooks around at Linux and Open Source Expos. Computing hasn't
been this stylish and powerful since the last time Steve Jobs has been
at Apple which was at the height of the original Macintosh.

Now Apple has announced the release of its Aperture software. It is
designed from the ground up on the digital camera workflow. Most
professionals are now putting digital backs on their hasselblad
cameras.

Apple has released such great photo software which seems much further
advanced than the Gnu Image Manipulation Program (GIMP). The Aperture
user interface is awesome compared to gimp. Apple designers no doubt
put careful thought and research into the user interface. Where in
GIMP you can spend 10 minutes looking for a feature on google and every
menu, the Aperture interface is intuitive.

My point is this. Why can Apple release a product that matches and
surpases Photoshop in most areas, where the GIMP program has struggled
extensively? I know that Apple has integrated pdf support into OS X,
has made Adobe retreat with Final Cut Pro kicking Premier off the map.

We can see Apple's development model as superiour to the GNU model.
Apple embraces the superiour software of BSD. Most BSD software is of
better quality than its GPL counterpart. PostgreSQL is better than
MySQL, OpenBSD is more secure than Linux, etc. In fact, Apple uses
C++ in the Darwin Kernel, and is based on a Micro-Kernel design.

Apple takes it one step further and refines the BSD quality into the
user interface. Unlike GIMP or Linux where buttons are put willy
nilly, Apple produces guidlines. Most Mac Application developers know
them; but since Apple's OS X has extensive JAVA support, Apple smartly
included instructions for JAVA developers (notorious for bad UI
design).

Quoth from apples's developer site (Linux devs take careful notes):

" The Aqua user interface [] is streamlined to provide the absolute
best user experience... This section helps you to make decisions that
let your Java applications approach the appearance and performance
characteristics of native applications. In fact, following some of the
suggestions presented here can probably help make your application
appear and perform more like native applications on other platforms as
well. The topics covered here represent just a small subset of design
decision topics, but they are high-visibility issues often present in
Java application".

http://developer.apple.com/documenta...tegration.html

In fact, the design considerations are THE issue holding back Linux
desktop progress. Even MS has more thought into the UI than Linux and
GPL software. Apple put in the effort for excellent UI design and now
it is paying off because they can release great products rapidly...even
beating Adobe in so many areas that as a person who is a photography
nut, is seeing the Photoshop empire crumbling to Apple and not Linux.

I will probably skip purchasing the next upgrade to photoshop for my
business and just move over to Aperture. Just look at the features:

http://www.apple.com/aperture/compare/

P.S. GIMP does have its uses I do agree. It is better than nothing,
and for those who cannot afford professional tools like students and
young people, it may be fine. Or for making amature Linux logos for
yet another distro.

George Ellison

"Karen Hill" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> [...]
>
> http://developer.apple.com/documenta...tegration.html
>
> In fact, the design considerations are THE issue holding back Linux
> desktop progress. Even MS has more thought into the UI than Linux and
> GPL software. Apple put in the effort for excellent UI design and now
> it is paying off because they can release great products rapidly...even
> beating Adobe in so many areas that as a person who is a photography
> nut, is seeing the Photoshop empire crumbling to Apple and not Linux.
>
> I will probably skip purchasing the next upgrade to photoshop for my
> business and just move over to Aperture. Just look at the features:
>
> http://www.apple.com/aperture/compare/
>
> P.S. GIMP does have its uses I do agree. It is better than nothing,
> and for those who cannot afford professional tools like students and
> young people, it may be fine. Or for making amature Linux logos for

Great, just what we need, a female Oxford. Can't you people ever figure out
how to post to just one group?

John A. Stovall

On 19 Oct 2005 14:48:37 -0700, "Karen Hill" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

One question are you pimping or whoring for Apple?

-James Nachtwey-
http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/

Karen Hill wrote:

> Apple is just amazing.

Appil Stinks

Appil are only purchased by pretentious retards (pretards)
who don't know what a computer is and pay over the odds for it.

Oh yes and they also can't turn off the DRM when viewing movies.
They those stupid appil payee retards have to watch all the stinkin adverts
for hours on end before they get to watch the movie.
So much for a pretard way of life and happiness.

B Gruff

On Wednesday 19 October 2005 22:48 Karen Hill wrote:

> Apple is just amazing.

Hi Susan!

Martin Francis

"Karen Hill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Apple is just amazing. Their hardware is so awesome and stylish

Ah, so you bought your iPod first did you?

Martin

Thomas Wootten

Karen Hill wrote:

> We can see Apple's development model as superiour to the GNU model.
> Apple embraces the superiour software of BSD. Most BSD software is of
> better quality than its GPL counterpart. PostgreSQL is better than
> MySQL, OpenBSD is more secure than Linux, etc. In fact, Apple uses
> C++ in the Darwin Kernel, and is based on a Micro-Kernel design.

MySQL is better than PostgreSQL in the only test I have come across.
Define 'better quality'
OpenBSD is designed with security in mind, so of course it's going to be
secure. Security isn't the only consideration, although it's important.
And don't forget the difference between the Open Source _development model_
and the Free Software _movement_.

> Apple takes it one step further and refines the BSD quality into the
> user interface. Unlike GIMP or Linux where buttons are put willy
> nilly, Apple produces guidlines. Most Mac Application developers know
> them; but since Apple's OS X has extensive JAVA support, Apple smartly
> included instructions for JAVA developers (notorious for bad UI
> design).

To be honest if you expect a polite response it is not a good idea to go
ranting on about how BSD is better than Linux. I'm sorry but Linux is more
usable than Free/Open/Net/*BSD. And OSX is not really a BSD. OSX is OSX.
And it only runs on Macs.
GNOME I believe has UI guidelines. Buttons put willy-nilly isn't a problem
for anybody above luser level anyway.

> In fact, the design considerations are THE issue holding back Linux
> desktop progress.

Incorrect. What is holding back Linux desktop progress is marketing and
documentation.

> I will probably skip purchasing the next upgrade to photoshop for my
> business and just move over to Aperture. Just look at the features:

Move to what you wish to.

> P.S. GIMP does have its uses I do agree. It is better than nothing,
> and for those who cannot afford professional tools like students and
> young people, it may be fine. Or for making amature Linux logos for
> yet another distro.

There are indeed far more Linux distros than there is good cause for.

--
Tom Wootten, Trinity Hall.
oof.trinhall.cam.ac.uk

GTO

> Great, just what we need, a female Oxford. Can't you people ever figure
> out
> how to post to just one group?

These posters just don't want to listen that cross-posting is generally
unacceptable. It just creates an impossible conversation from people from
different groups with different objectives.

Regarding Apple's new painting program:

Why should it be any better than Photoshop CS2? I most certainly do not
trust an application for my work that has not many years of testing behind
itself. For $499, Photoshop CS2 is very reasonably priced. For an old Apple,
I would stick to CS2.

Regarding the MAC boxes:

We all know that Apple swill soon release new HW that uses Intel CPU's
(maybe AMD?). So, why invest more money in an outdated architecture? Once
they switched to Intel's newest Xeon multicore CPU's, I might even consider
an Apple box

BTW, GIMP's for free. Nothing competes with that!

Gregor

John Bailo

Karen Hill wrote:

> Now Apple has announced the release of its Aperture software. It is
> designed from the ground up on the digital camera workflow. Most
> professionals are now putting digital backs on their hasselblad
> cameras.

You know what's funny in old movies?

When the guy walks into a dark room, and lights a candle, or a very
small lamp and then suddenly it's a bright as daylight because they
switch on all the movie lights in sync as if it's the candle or small
light that's making all the light.

wd

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 14:48:37 -0700, Karen Hill wrote:

> Apple is just amazing. Their hardware is so awesome and stylish that

<snip>

That's why Linux use is growing faster than Mac use.
This newsgroup is about Linux. Go away.

I don't trust Apple's software. iTunes and Quicktime are so invasive
when you install them on Windows I wouldn't feel comfortable using a
Mac OS. If I had an Apple computer I would delete the Apple OS and put
Ubuntu Linux on it. I'm sure the hardware is very nice but I prefer two
mouse buttons so I'm going to stick with what I have.