Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > shoulder stabilizer?

shoulder stabilizer?

Ron Hardin

Is there a cheap shoulder stabilizer you can mount your camera
on, small enough to carry with you, to reduce wiggles in the field?

I used to have one years ago, for long exposures, but it's lost or gone,
and I'm not sure what term to google on to find another.

You didn't use to have to know what it was called, you just picked it
up at the odd camera store one day.

--
Ron Hardin

Randy Berbaum

Ron Hardin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: Is there a cheap shoulder stabilizer you can mount your camera
: on, small enough to carry with you, to reduce wiggles in the field?

: I used to have one years ago, for long exposures, but it's lost or gone,
: and I'm not sure what term to google on to find another.

: You didn't use to have to know what it was called, you just picked it
: up at the odd camera store one day.

You might try looking under video camera supports. I may have found
something of what you are describing at B&H. Look at the Sima SVP-3 chest
support (B&H # SISVP3). There are lots of video camera chest supports
under Consumer video tripods/stabilizers & Sholder Brackets/Handheld &
Sholder stabilizers. Maybe with a few brand names you could then search
the web for anything that more suits your intended use.

Randy

==========
Randy Berbaum
Champaign, IL

grumpy@mailinator.com

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 07:01:58 GMT, Ron Hardin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Is there a cheap shoulder stabilizer you can mount your camera
> on, small enough to carry with you, to reduce wiggles in the field?
>
> I used to have one years ago, for long exposures, but it's lost or gone,
> and I'm not sure what term to google on to find another.
>
> You didn't use to have to know what it was called, you just picked it
> up at the odd camera store one day.

Have a look at monopods.

Bob Williams

Ron Hardin wrote:

> Is there a cheap shoulder stabilizer you can mount your camera
> on, small enough to carry with you, to reduce wiggles in the field?
>
> I used to have one years ago, for long exposures, but it's lost or gone,
> and I'm not sure what term to google on to find another.
>
> You didn't use to have to know what it was called, you just picked it
> up at the odd camera store one day.

Check out:
http://bushhawk.shopol.com/Group/5YDIQ7IWWOKX6ZMJ.htm
Lots of different styles and models.
Cool and compact but not cheap.
If you are handy with tools you just might pick up an old 22 rifle or BB
gun at a flea market and salvage the gunstock. Then install a 1/4 X 20
tripod screw at the appropriate spot.
Bob Williams

biker2

and then get yourself shot as a suspected terrorist..

Steve

Joseph Meehan

Ron Hardin wrote:
> Is there a cheap shoulder stabilizer you can mount your camera
> on, small enough to carry with you, to reduce wiggles in the field?
>
> I used to have one years ago, for long exposures, but it's lost or
> gone, and I'm not sure what term to google on to find another.
>
> You didn't use to have to know what it was called, you just picked it
> up at the odd camera store one day.

http://www.shortcourses.com/equipmen...ds/4-other.htm

My brother made one as I recall. Not too hard to do and it should be a
custom fit.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

eawckyegcy@yahoo.com

biker2 wrote:

> and then get yourself shot as a suspected terrorist..

It's basically impossible to mis-identify shoulder-stocked optics for a
firearm, though governments all over the world do it on a regularly
basis anyways. Can't let that information escape "into the wild",
don'tchaknow.

eawckyegcy@yahoo.com

Ron Hardin wrote:

> I used to have one years ago, for long exposures, but it's lost or gone,
> and I'm not sure what term to google on to find another.

Steadicam?

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~johnny/steadycam/

That's for motion picture stuff though. There is also an article in a
recent Sky&Telescope (last two months) about a passive binocular
stabilizer that is "shoulder mounted".

C Wright

On 10/17/05 2:01 AM, in article (E-Mail Removed), "Ron Hardin"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Is there a cheap shoulder stabilizer you can mount your camera
> on, small enough to carry with you, to reduce wiggles in the field?
>
> I used to have one years ago, for long exposures, but it's lost or gone,
> and I'm not sure what term to google on to find another.
>
> You didn't use to have to know what it was called, you just picked it
> up at the odd camera store one day.

You have already received several good recommendations for stabilizer
devices but I am surprised that no one, so far, has recommended IS lenses.
You don't mention what kind of camera or lens you want to stabilize but if
you have a Canon or Nikon mount camera several good lens' are available with
built in image stabilization.

Bob Salomon

> > Is there a cheap shoulder stabilizer you can mount your camera
> > on, small enough to carry with you, to reduce wiggles in the field?

Novoflex makes a very good one called a PISTOCK-C

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.