Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Poster-size Print

Poster-size Print

Ed Wurster

I'd like to order 1 or 2 poster-size prints: 16x20 or 20x30.

1. Any recommendations for online companies that have done this for you?

2. I have a few 4MP images. Would it be best to resize these myself, with
Photoshop? Or will the online service have better software to do
interpolation?

Thanks.

Ed

Bob Williams

Ed Wurster wrote:
> I'd like to order 1 or 2 poster-size prints: 16x20 or 20x30.
>
> 1. Any recommendations for online companies that have done this for you?
>
> 2. I have a few 4MP images. Would it be best to resize these myself, with
> Photoshop? Or will the online service have better software to do
> interpolation?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Ed

I have used "EZ Prints".
They do excellent work at a very reasonable price.
They also handle your prints like Gold.
Bob Williams

Rich

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 13:18:22 -0400, "Ed Wurster" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I'd like to order 1 or 2 poster-size prints: 16x20 or 20x30.
>
>1. Any recommendations for online companies that have done this for you?
>
>2. I have a few 4MP images. Would it be best to resize these myself, with
>Photoshop? Or will the online service have better software to do
>interpolation?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Ed

You are pushing a 4 meg for this but doing it in Photoshop is ok.
Experiment with different upsizing methods to see what looks best.
Keep the dpi at 300. Expect a file around 100m in size. Might be
best to error on the side or excess as far as colour saturation
and contrast goes, and noise reduction via Neat Image or some other
program will be important. Sharpness should be pretty high as well.
A faster way to do it would be to crop a small section of image and
try different combos on it. All this assumes you have the time,
otherwise letting a printer do it might be better.
-Rich

Tony Whitaker

"Ed Wurster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'd like to order 1 or 2 poster-size prints: 16x20 or 20x30.
>
> 1. Any recommendations for online companies that have done this for you?
>
> 2. I have a few 4MP images. Would it be best to resize these myself, with
> Photoshop? Or will the online service have better software to do
> interpolation?

I've had several posters made from 5mp images by http://www.clubphoto.com/.
They do a great job. Using Photoshop Elements, I resized my images as much
as I could without exceeding Clubphoto's 100mb file size limit

paul.busse@gmail.com

I have been pleased with mpix.com

Paul B.

l e o

Ed Wurster wrote:
> I'd like to order 1 or 2 poster-size prints: 16x20 or 20x30.
>
> 1. Any recommendations for online companies that have done this for you?
>
> 2. I have a few 4MP images. Would it be best to resize these myself, with
> Photoshop? Or will the online service have better software to do
> interpolation?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Ed

Does Anybody have experience with Snapfish? Costco online uses it.

Tony Whitaker

"l e o" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:wxA4f.12898$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ed Wurster wrote:
> Does Anybody have experience with Snapfish? Costco online uses it.

I don't think they do poster size enlargments.

Conrad

Hi Leo,

I've made 20x30's with Costco (on-line) made by Snapfish. Really nice
job. Delivered in mailing tube for just $14.98! (That's the whole price
for everything).

Compared with same picture printed at Costco Warehouse (Bend, Oregon)
12x18's ($2.99) and 20x30's look to have the same resolution in
finished prints. Amazing.

Costco on-line (Snapfish) also do 16x20's for $14.98 (complete price
delivered to you).

I generally pump these pics up in PS CS2 to 12x18 or 20x30 sizes using
Canon Digital Rebel 350XT (8 megapixel sensor or Fuji S7000 (6
megapixel sensor ---> or, Fuji's 12 megapixel interpolation) cameras.

Best,

Conrad
Camp Sherman, Oregon

bob

"Ed Wurster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:ft6dnUl0beftF8_eRVn-

> 2. I have a few 4MP images. Would it be best to resize these myself, with
> Photoshop? Or will the online service have better software to do
> interpolation?

I would do it myself, unless I knew they would do a good job.

We have a big printer at the office and I made some 36" prints for some guy
from 100k .jpg images. I resampled them in Photoshop, and then changed the
mode from RGB to Lab. In Lab mode can do all kinds of neat tricks, because
you work with the two color channels seperate from the luminance channel.
The color channels can be softened to reduce noticable artifacts, without
altering the luminance, which we all know is the more important when it
comes to perceptual sharpness.

In the end, 36" prints from 100k jpgs don't look very good, but they looked
much, much better than I expected them to.

Bob

--
Delete the inverse SPAM to reply

W (winhag)

MPIX.com does a very good job although not as cheap as some of the
others mentioned below. Also, they have no file size limit.