Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Successor to Oly 8080???

Successor to Oly 8080???

5do12

Anything new in sight? I mean, now that Sony launched the R1, how soon are
the rest to follow? I remember the last time, it didn't take too long for
the same sensor in DSC-F828 to appear in some other manufacturer's bodies,
along with their own optics. Are we expecting the same scenario to follow
here? I wouldn't be at all surprised if Olympus would launch something new
in near future, since they discontinued the 8080, one of the best cameras in
the market...

In article <diljc9$2ft$(E-Mail Removed)-com.hr>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
says...
> Anything new in sight? I mean, now that Sony launched the R1, how soon are
> the rest to follow? I remember the last time, it didn't take too long for
> the same sensor in DSC-F828 to appear in some other manufacturer's bodies,
> along with their own optics. Are we expecting the same scenario to follow
> here? I wouldn't be at all surprised if Olympus would launch something new
> in near future, since they discontinued the 8080, one of the best cameras in
> the market...

At the moment it looks that there is no direct successor to the line of
CX0Y0 cameras, although it could be that Olympus launches a camera based
on the sensor of the Sony R1. However such a camera would compete with
the E500...
--

Alfred Molon

Rich

Olympus has no interest in producing more high end Prosumer cameras.
They can't afford to sell something like the C8080 for $500 which is
what
is happening to prosumer pricing since entry-level DSLRs (all plastic
of course,
with CRAPPY kit lenses) have made the scene. Magnesium body, aspheric
lenses with ED glass and more control features than an entry-level
DSLR?
You'll never see it again.