Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > 5d Workflow

5d Workflow

oj

Hey,

If I had the Canon 5d, and Photoshop CS, what would my expected
workflow be on getting it out of the camera to final on disk? As far
as shooting RAW and converting that, etc.

Thanks.

oj

John A. Stovall

On 12 Oct 2005 13:39:23 -0700, "oj" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hey,
>
>If I had the Canon 5d, and Photoshop CS, what would my expected
>workflow be on getting it out of the camera to final on disk? As far
>as shooting RAW and converting that, etc.

The same as it would be for any other RAW work flow but on the Final
step is the print not "on disk".

If you have to ask this question, you need to learn a lot more about
digital photography before getting a 5D.

By the way if you are going to do 5D RAW you'll need to get CS2 in
order to use the ACR 3.2 which has beta support for the 5D.

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/cameraraw.html

-James Nachtwey-
http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/

Lance

Read 'Real World Digital Raw' book. Covers a lot on workflow .

"oj" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hey,
>
> If I had the Canon 5d, and Photoshop CS, what would my expected
> workflow be on getting it out of the camera to final on disk? As far
> as shooting RAW and converting that, etc.
>
> Thanks.
>
> oj

oj

John A. Stovall wrote:

> By the way if you are going to do 5D RAW you'll need to get CS2 in
> order to use the ACR 3.2 which has beta support for the 5D.
>
> http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/cameraraw.html
> > -James Nachtwey-

> http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/

Well, yes, this was really the point of my question. So you _have_ to
upgrade to CS2 to be able to deal with 5d RAW files? I also wanted to
see if there were any other gotchas. Nothing like a nice suprise after
dropping 3k.

oj

John A. Stovall

On 12 Oct 2005 14:14:33 -0700, "oj" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>John A. Stovall wrote:
>>
>> By the way if you are going to do 5D RAW you'll need to get CS2 in
>> order to use the ACR 3.2 which has beta support for the 5D.
>>
>> http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/cameraraw.html
>> > -James Nachtwey-

>> http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/

>Well, yes, this was really the point of my question. So you _have_ to
>upgrade to CS2 to be able to deal with 5d RAW files? I also wanted to
>see if there were any other gotchas. Nothing like a nice suprise after
>dropping 3k.

You should have done your homework before buying it.

I know I did but then I also keep my photoshop current.

-James Nachtwey-
http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/

Chris Brown

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
oj <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>John A. Stovall wrote:
>>
>> By the way if you are going to do 5D RAW you'll need to get CS2 in
>> order to use the ACR 3.2 which has beta support for the 5D.
>>
>> http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/cameraraw.html
>> > -James Nachtwey-

>> http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/

>Well, yes, this was really the point of my question. So you _have_ to
>upgrade to CS2 to be able to deal with 5d RAW files?

No. There are two options:

1) Use Canon's DPP as your RAW convertor (slow) with its "Transfer to
Photoshop" option. Works with CS.

2) Use Adobe DNG (free download) to convert the .CR2 files to .DNG. These
will load into CS via Adobe Camera Raw.

I am using CS and a 5D, and use both of these procedures.

oj

John A. Stovall wrote:
> On 12 Oct 2005 14:14:33 -0700, "oj" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> >John A. Stovall wrote:
> >>
> >> By the way if you are going to do 5D RAW you'll need to get CS2 in
> >> order to use the ACR 3.2 which has beta support for the 5D.
> >>
> >> http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/cameraraw.html
> >> http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/

> >Well, yes, this was really the point of my question. So you _have_ to
> >upgrade to CS2 to be able to deal with 5d RAW files? I also wanted to
> >see if there were any other gotchas. Nothing like a nice suprise after
> >dropping 3k.

> You should have done your homework before buying it.

Ummm, I didn't. I'm doing my homework before I buy it. Thanks for the
tip.

oj

> I know I did but then I also keep my photoshop current.
>

> ************************************************** ****
>
> "I have been a witness, and these pictures are
> my testimony. The events I have recorded should
> not be forgotten and must not be repeated."
>
> -James Nachtwey-
> http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/

Dirty Harry

"oj" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> John A. Stovall wrote:
> >
> > By the way if you are going to do 5D RAW you'll need to get CS2 in
> > order to use the ACR 3.2 which has beta support for the 5D.
> >
> > http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/cameraraw.html
> > > -James Nachtwey-

> > http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/

> Well, yes, this was really the point of my question. So you _have_ to
> upgrade to CS2 to be able to deal with 5d RAW files? I also wanted to
> see if there were any other gotchas. Nothing like a nice suprise after
> dropping 3k.
>
> oj

LOL, working with raw files is not going to be a surprise to anyone buying
this camera. You can shoot jpeg if you want though.

Dirty Harry

"Chris Brown" <(E-Mail Removed)_uce_please.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
> oj <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >John A. Stovall wrote:
> >>
> >> By the way if you are going to do 5D RAW you'll need to get CS2 in
> >> order to use the ACR 3.2 which has beta support for the 5D.
> >>
> >> http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/cameraraw.html
> >> http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/

> >Well, yes, this was really the point of my question. So you _have_ to
> >upgrade to CS2 to be able to deal with 5d RAW files?

> No. There are two options:
>
> 1) Use Canon's DPP as your RAW convertor (slow) with its "Transfer to
> Photoshop" option. Works with CS.
>
> 2) Use Adobe DNG (free download) to convert the .CR2 files to .DNG. These
> will load into CS via Adobe Camera Raw.
>
> I am using CS and a 5D, and use both of these procedures.

1)*You can also use the EOS file viewer util which is better then dpp for
fast workflow and pretty much as powerful. Go from raw to 8 or 16 bit tiff
after you have made your raw tweaks like WB, sharpness, color saturation
etc...