Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Easy to use camera recommendations please

Easy to use camera recommendations please

spaced

Hi,

I'm looking to buy my parents a digital camera. They are not
technologically savvy, so I'm looking for one which is very easy to use but
still able to produce good photos.

Any suggestions most welcome.

Thanks

Dan Wojciechowski

"spaced" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:difjm4$n0u$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com...
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking to buy my parents a digital camera. They are not
> technologically savvy, so I'm looking for one which is very easy to use but
> still able to produce good photos.

I've thought about this issue myself. Given that the parents in question aren't
particularly camera or technology savvy, my thoughts are:

1. Most digital cameras from the main companies produce good enough
photos. Have you seen the quality of the pictures from the point and
shoot 35mm cameras these parents are using today?
2. Look for the "easy to use" or beginner lines of cameras from each
manufacturer. Some of the review web sites will give recommendations
on where to start. (Try Dave's picks at www.imaging-resource.com .)
3. Look for big screens. If your parents are like mine, their eyesight isn't
as good as it used to be, and they will appreciate the visibility of the
bigger screens.
4. Don't overwhelm them with ideas of downloading and photoshopping
pictures. Begin with the "shoot pictures and take card to store to
print" model. Yeah, yeah, we all know there are better ways, but
we are talking about the parents.
5. Look for a camera that has a 3:2 aspect ratio mode. That will avoid
any cropping issues, assuming the parents will be printing 4x6 copies.
6. I'm not a fan of "cradles", but the simplicity of constant trickle charging
in camera is attractive. An alternative is to find a camera that runs
reasonably well on standard AA batteries. Sure, its still more expensive
in the long run, but the simplicity of "dropping in a couple AAs" works
well within this context.
7. Stick to compact to midsized cameras. If your parents hands aren't
as good as they used to be, tiny buttons won't be appreciated. Likewise,
their idea of a camera is something that fits in a small purse or could
be carried in a jacket pocket. I like my FZ20, but there is no way my
parents would carry that.
8. Prefer faster autofocus cameras. If the parents are used to fixed focus
disposables or 35mm point and shoots, they may have trouble with the
"half press and shoot" that many digitals require. I believe that a couple
of the newer generation digitals have improved in this regard.

In summary, if your parents fall into the "automatic point and shoot only"
crowd, don't worry about camera features. Don't worry about image
imperfections they will never notice anyway. Go for simple, easy, and
straightforward. And pay a little more if you can get faster.

Just my thoughts. Good luck to you.

--
Dan (Woj...) [dmaster](no space)[at](no space)[lucent](no space)[dot](no
space)[com]