Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > [Offtopic] Google's Caste System Empowering Developers

[Offtopic] Google's Caste System Empowering Developers

codefixer@gmail.com

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...9/b3962001.htm

Excerpts from Business Week Article.

The suits inside Google don't fare much better than the outside pros.
Several current and former insiders say there's a caste system, in
which business types are second-class citizens to Google's valued code
jockeys. They argue that it could prove to be a big challenge in the
future as Google seeks to maintain its growth. They deem the corporate
development team as underpowered in the company, with engineers and
product managers tending to carry more clout than salesmen and
dealmakers.

Cheers!

Cisco Guy

> http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...9/b3962001.htm
>
> Excerpts from Business Week Article.
>
> The suits inside Google don't fare much better than the outside pros.
> Several current and former insiders say there's a caste system, in
> which business types are second-class citizens to Google's valued code
> jockeys. They argue that it could prove to be a big challenge in the
> future as Google seeks to maintain its growth. They deem the corporate
> development team as underpowered in the company, with engineers and
> product managers tending to carry more clout than salesmen and
> dealmakers.
>

> Cheers!

And this is bad because?

Finally, us geeks are getting some respect...j/k

Hansang Bae

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...9/b3962001.htm
>
> Excerpts from Business Week Article.
>
> The suits inside Google don't fare much better than the outside pros.
> Several current and former insiders say there's a caste system, in
> which business types are second-class citizens to Google's valued code
> jockeys. They argue that it could prove to be a big challenge in the
> future as Google seeks to maintain its growth. They deem the corporate
> development team as underpowered in the company, with engineers and
> product managers tending to carry more clout than salesmen and
> dealmakers.

Not for long. Trust me. No technical company to date has been able to
pull this off and I doubt Google will be able to handle it. Look how
they handled the Cnet reporter issue.

--

hsb