Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > JAlbum + streaming music

JAlbum + streaming music

Les

Although a couple of JAlbumskins allow you to plays MP3 files, there
is no method that I can find in the community archive that allows you
to stream audio files with a slide show.

I have devised a method that will work with Internet Explorer but not
Firefox. The trick is to have one window open which streams the music
and a second window for the JAlbum photos. Normally, only an open
window will play music but with a bit of javascript, the dormant
window will continue to stream music. Go to
http://www.htmlduo.org.uk/martin/tes...art_album.html and try it.

Les

Ed Ruf

On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 14:37:34 +0100, in rec.photo.digital Les
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Although a couple of JAlbumskins allow you to plays MP3 files, there
>is no method that I can find in the community archive that allows you
>to stream audio files with a slide show.
>
>I have devised a method that will work with Internet Explorer but not
>Firefox. The trick is to have one window open which streams the music
>and a second window for the JAlbum photos. Normally, only an open
>window will play music but with a bit of javascript, the dormant
>window will continue to stream music. Go to
>http://www.htmlduo.org.uk/martin/tes...art_album.html and try it.

Please no. The last thing I want is someone streaming music to me when I
visit their site. A definite way to get on my never visit again list.
----------
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at

Les

On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 04:38:09 -0400, Ed Ruf <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Please no. The last thing I want is someone streaming music to me when I
>visit their site. A definite way to get on my never visit again list.

The choice is yours. All you have to do is set volume to zero. Simple
really.

Les

Peter

2005-10-07, Les wrote:
> On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 04:38:09 -0400, Ed Ruf <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>Please no. The last thing I want is someone streaming music to me when I
>>visit their site. A definite way to get on my never visit again list.

> The choice is yours. All you have to do is set volume to zero. Simple
> really.

But that still wastes bandwidth...

-peter

Ed Ruf

On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 14:04:13 +0100, in rec.photo.digital Les
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 04:38:09 -0400, Ed Ruf <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>Please no. The last thing I want is someone streaming music to me when I
>>visit their site. A definite way to get on my never visit again list.

>The choice is yours. All you have to do is set volume to zero. Simple
>really.

No it's not. Your using up bandwidth and what if I happen to all ready be
using the sound system to play some music of my own or something else?
You're intruding on my space. If you really wish to do this then add a
button or link on your site to let the visitor make the choice, don't stuff
it down his/her throat.
----------
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at

David J Taylor

Ed Ruf wrote:
[]
> No it's not. Your using up bandwidth and what if I happen to all
> ready be using the sound system to play some music of my own or
> something else? You're intruding on my space. If you really wish to
> do this then add a button or link on your site to let the visitor
> make the choice, don't stuff it down his/her throat.
> ----------

Completely agree. Sites like that go straight into the waste bin.

David

Dave Martindale

Les <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>>Please no. The last thing I want is someone streaming music to me when I
>>visit their site. A definite way to get on my never visit again list.

>The choice is yours. All you have to do is set volume to zero. Simple
>really.

It's not that simple. If you didn't ask me in advance, I didn't get
the chance to make a choice. I may already be listening to *my* music,
and neither want to listen to *your* music mixed in with it, nor want
to set the volume to zero which would kill my music. Or maybe I'm
listening to nothing, and a burst of music may wake up the baby in the
next room. Either way, I'm going to be unhappy.

If I didn't explicitly ask for your music by clicking on something to
request it, I don't want to hear your music. If closing the browser
window is the fastest way to get rid of it, that's what I'll do.

Dave