Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > The myth of "weather sealing" and the 5D.

The myth of "weather sealing" and the 5D.

John A. Stovall

I suggest some of those who whine about the lack of "weather sealing"
on the 5D read what a pro who makes his living shooting in all kinds
of conditions has to say about the subject.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...5d-field.shtml

I suspect those who are doing the whining don't even go out when
there's a heavy dew.

"A combat photographer should be able to make you see the
color of blood in black and white"

David Douglas Duncan
Speaking on why in Vietnam
he worked only in black and white
http://www.hrc.utexas.edu/exhibitions/online/ddd/

David J. Littleboy

"John A. Stovall" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I suggest some of those who whine about the lack of "weather sealing"
> on the 5D read what a pro who makes his living shooting in all kinds
> of conditions has to say about the subject.
>
> http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...5d-field.shtml
>
> I suspect those who are doing the whining don't even go out when
> there's a heavy dew.

Yep. That's my take, too. None of my other cameras have "weather sealing",
and I certainly wouldn't submit any camera to the kind of abuse the 'weather
sealing wimperers' seem to think is a daily occurrance.

Now a real complaint with the 5D is the insanely short eye relief and dim
info readout (with tiny characters and symbols to add insult to injury) in
the viewfinder. Sheesh. The pre-set an EV offset and do AE with the
spotmeter trick is going to work fine, but without the grid focusing screen,
using the spot meter as a generic spotmeter is going to be hard (because the
center point is not clearly marked on the screen). Sheesh.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Chris Brown

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
John A. Stovall <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I suggest some of those who whine about the lack of "weather sealing"
>on the 5D read what a pro who makes his living shooting in all kinds
>of conditions has to say about the subject.
>
>http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...5d-field.shtml
>
>I suspect those who are doing the whining don't even go out when
>there's a heavy dew.

Quite so. Indeed, I once took my very non-weather sealed EOS D30 into a
tropical rainforest, and it proceeded to give a very graphic demonstration
of why it's called a rainforest. Seldom have I been so wet in my life. The
camera was fine.

Lourens Smak

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
John A. Stovall <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I suggest some of those who whine about the lack of "weather sealing"
> on the 5D read what a pro who makes his living shooting in all kinds
> of conditions has to say about the subject.
>
> http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...5d-field.shtml

Are you talking about this quote?
"For some reason though, the 5D that I was testing seemed to attract
more dust than usual."

Lourens

John A. Stovall

On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 00:44:26 +0200, Lourens Smak <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> John A. Stovall <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I suggest some of those who whine about the lack of "weather sealing"
>> on the 5D read what a pro who makes his living shooting in all kinds
>> of conditions has to say about the subject.
>>
>> http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...5d-field.shtml

>Are you talking about this quote?
>"For some reason though, the 5D that I was testing seemed to attract
>more dust than usual."
>
>Lourens

Dust on the sensor has little to do with "weather sealing".

"A combat photographer should be able to make you see the
color of blood in black and white"

David Douglas Duncan
Speaking on why in Vietnam
he worked only in black and white
http://www.hrc.utexas.edu/exhibitions/online/ddd/

Rich

On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 20:27:34 GMT, John A. Stovall
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I suggest some of those who whine about the lack of "weather sealing"
>on the 5D read what a pro who makes his living shooting in all kinds
>of conditions has to say about the subject.
>
>http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...5d-field.shtml

Does this mean the $7000 Canon can now dispense with the sealing
and it's price drop?
-Rich

Mark˛

David J. Littleboy wrote:
> "John A. Stovall" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I suggest some of those who whine about the lack of "weather sealing"
>> on the 5D read what a pro who makes his living shooting in all kinds
>> of conditions has to say about the subject.
>>
>> http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...5d-field.shtml
>>
>> I suspect those who are doing the whining don't even go out when
>> there's a heavy dew.

Hey! Don't call me a whimperer!

I actually HAVE taken my 10D into rain and continued shooting, though not to
the extent I did/would with my EOS 3 (which seems to be far more sealed).

> Yep. That's my take, too. None of my other cameras have "weather
> sealing", and I certainly wouldn't submit any camera to the kind of
> abuse the 'weather sealing wimperers' seem to think is a daily
> occurrance.
> Now a real complaint with the 5D is the insanely short eye relief and
> dim info readout (with tiny characters and symbols to add insult to
> injury) in the viewfinder. Sheesh. The pre-set an EV offset and do AE
> with the spotmeter trick is going to work fine, but without the grid
> focusing screen, using the spot meter as a generic spotmeter is going
> to be hard (because the center point is not clearly marked on the
> screen). Sheesh.

Now that's just weird. I wonder why not!
You CAN buy different screens for the 5D, though.
Perhaps one of them will offer a better grid.

dylan

> I actually HAVE taken my 10D into rain and continued shooting, though not
> the extent I did/would with my EOS 3 (which seems to be far more sealed).

How do you determine your EOS3 is more sealed than your 10D, I have both
models and would rate them about the same ?.

My policy is keep water to a minimum.

I would expect the 5D to be similar to the EOS 3 and certainly not sealed
like the 1 series (film or digital).

I've waited for the digital equivalent to the EOS 3, unfortunately the 5D
doesn't seem to offer as good a AF system (less points) but maybe they are
as small to offer more accuracy than the 10D etc, or multi-spot metering
which I like.

Cheers

John A. Stovall

On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 22:41:33 -0400, Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 20:27:34 GMT, John A. Stovall
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I suggest some of those who whine about the lack of "weather sealing"
>>on the 5D read what a pro who makes his living shooting in all kinds
>>of conditions has to say about the subject.
>>
>>http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...5d-field.shtml
>>

>Does this mean the $7000 Canon can now dispense with the sealing
>and it's price drop?
>-Rich

Still having that problem with reading comprehension, Rich?

"A combat photographer should be able to make you see the
color of blood in black and white"

David Douglas Duncan
Speaking on why in Vietnam
he worked only in black and white
http://www.hrc.utexas.edu/exhibitions/online/ddd/

John A. Stovall

On Sat, 1 Oct 2005 21:16:44 -0700, "Mark˛" <mjmorgan(lowest even
number here)@cox..net> wrote:

>David J. Littleboy wrote:
>> "John A. Stovall" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I suggest some of those who whine about the lack of "weather sealing"
>>> on the 5D read what a pro who makes his living shooting in all kinds
>>> of conditions has to say about the subject.
>>>
>>> http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...5d-field.shtml
>>>
>>> I suspect those who are doing the whining don't even go out when
>>> there's a heavy dew.

>Hey! Don't call me a whimperer!
>
>I actually HAVE taken my 10D into rain and continued shooting, though not to
>the extent I did/would with my EOS 3 (which seems to be far more sealed).

Your EOS-3 is not weathersealed according to Canon.. Why don't you
read what Canon says about it?

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/con...8&modelid=7246

In contrast to the weathersealing on the 1 series bodies.

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/con...8&modelid=7244

Your EOS-3 is no more weathersealed that a 5D.