Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Most cost-effective way to get into the DSLR game?

Most cost-effective way to get into the DSLR game?

richardsfault

I am researching options for putting together a DSLR lens and body
package for $1000 - $1250.

I have heard too many bad things about the Canon Rebel kit lens to
consider it. OTOH, the Nikon kit lenses seem to be well-received.

Possible options:

D70 with 18-70 kit.

D50 with better-than-kit alternate lens

Rebel with better-than-kit alternate lens

Rebel XT with better-than-kit alternate lens

I am not as confident in other DSLR brands. Should I be considering
them?

What are some good third-party lenses, and what should be avoided.

Past experience indicates that Tamron lenses are good. Is this still
true?

I have also heard that one should be careful with Sigma.

In comparisaon to the D-70, what is lost with the D-50 and gained with
the D70s?

Robert R Kircher, Jr.

"A disturbing new study finds that studies are disturbing"
"richardsfault" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I am researching options for putting together a DSLR lens and body
> package for $1000 - $1250.
>
> I have heard too many bad things about the Canon Rebel kit lens to
> consider it. OTOH, the Nikon kit lenses seem to be well-received.
>
> Possible options:
>
> D70 with 18-70 kit.
>
> D50 with better-than-kit alternate lens
>
> Rebel with better-than-kit alternate lens
>
> Rebel XT with better-than-kit alternate lens
>
> I am not as confident in other DSLR brands. Should I be considering
> them?
>
> What are some good third-party lenses, and what should be avoided.
>
> Past experience indicates that Tamron lenses are good. Is this still
> true?
>
> I have also heard that one should be careful with Sigma.
>
> In comparisaon to the D-70, what is lost with the D-50 and gained with
> the D70s?

Buy the DRebel XT body only and pick up the EF 28-135 IS lens. That should
put you right at the top end of your budget. That said I'd spend the extra
$100 and get the XT kit. The kit lens isn't great but it can produce some
good pictures under the right circumstances.

--

Rob

John A. Stovall

On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 10:09:37 -0500, richardsfault
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

Get an XT body and the Canon 50mm f1.8, plastic fantastic.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/s...7&cat=2&page=1

With the money you save you can get a second lens.

A good basic lens.

"Blessed be you, universal matter, immeasureable time,
boundless thee triple abyss of stars and atoms and
generations; you who by overflow and dissolving
our narrow standards or measurement reveal to us
the dimensions of God."

Pierre Teilhard De Chardin

Nobody

If you decide on Rebel XT - new Canon rebates are supposed to start soon
(Oct 15). Search DPREVIEW.COM for details

"richardsfault" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I am researching options for putting together a DSLR lens and body
> package for $1000 - $1250.
>
> I have heard too many bad things about the Canon Rebel kit lens to
> consider it. OTOH, the Nikon kit lenses seem to be well-received.
>
> Possible options:
>
> D70 with 18-70 kit.
>
> D50 with better-than-kit alternate lens
>
> Rebel with better-than-kit alternate lens
>
> Rebel XT with better-than-kit alternate lens
>
> I am not as confident in other DSLR brands. Should I be considering
> them?
>
> What are some good third-party lenses, and what should be avoided.
>
> Past experience indicates that Tamron lenses are good. Is this still
> true?
>
> I have also heard that one should be careful with Sigma.
>
> In comparisaon to the D-70, what is lost with the D-50 and gained with
> the D70s?

Lourens Smak

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
richardsfault <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I am not as confident in other DSLR brands. Should I be considering
> them?

If you want the most bang for the buck you should definitely look at the
Olympus E300 two-lens-kit, and the new E500, which will be in stores
next month, and will also be available in a 2-lens kit.

Lourens

ken.strauss@sympatico.ca

Or consider the D70s + Sigma 18-125. I have been very pleased with
mine. The Sigma lens actually "feels" better mechanically than the
Nikon kit lens. Perhaps I was just lucky...
richardsfault wrote:
> I am researching options for putting together a DSLR lens and body
> package for $1000 - $1250.
>
> I have heard too many bad things about the Canon Rebel kit lens to
> consider it. OTOH, the Nikon kit lenses seem to be well-received.
>
> Possible options:
>
> D70 with 18-70 kit.
>
> D50 with better-than-kit alternate lens
>
> Rebel with better-than-kit alternate lens
>
> Rebel XT with better-than-kit alternate lens
>
> I am not as confident in other DSLR brands. Should I be considering
> them?
>
> What are some good third-party lenses, and what should be avoided.
>
> Past experience indicates that Tamron lenses are good. Is this still
> true?
>
> I have also heard that one should be careful with Sigma.
>
> In comparisaon to the D-70, what is lost with the D-50 and gained with
> the D70s?

Bill

richardsfault wrote:

>I am researching options for putting together a DSLR lens and body
>package for $1000 - $1250.
>
>I have heard too many bad things about the Canon Rebel kit lens to
>consider it. OTOH, the Nikon kit lenses seem to be well-received.

I have the Rebel XT and I've seen the kit lense, which isn't very good
in my opinion.

The Nikkor 18-70mm is a good lense though, and makes the D50 or D70s an
attractive option, especially if you can't afford to get more lenses at
the same time or simply want one general use lense.

>Possible options:
>
>D70 with 18-70 kit.

Good choice.

>D50 with better-than-kit alternate lens

If you get the D50 with the 18-70 "kit" lense, it's a good choice.

>Rebel with better-than-kit alternate lens

I feel the basic Rebel lacks too many features to be a viable
competitor. I don't like that it lacks one-shot mode and forces the user
to deal with it's AI modes. Plus other issues.

However, if you don't need those extra features, then getting it and a
good lense is a great cost saver.

>Rebel XT with better-than-kit alternate lens

The XT is a great little camera, but unless you don't need the
wide-angle end, the cost of a decent lense pushes it up a bit too high.
I would suggest the 17-85mm IS as a good walk-around lense, but I think
the lense cost blows your budget.

>I am not as confident in other DSLR brands. Should I be considering
>them?

That depends on your needs. The Olympus, Minolta brands are fine, but I
feel they are not as diverse as the Canon and Nikon models.

>What are some good third-party lenses, and what should be avoided.

Unfortunately I've rarely had good experiences with third-party lenses,
so I tend to recommend and stick to the like-branded lenses.

>In comparisaon to the D-70, what is lost with the D-50 and gained with
>the D70s?

Have you read the reviews and comparisons?

Try these:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond50/
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond70/
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos350d/
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos20d/

The last one wasn't mentioned in your post, so I added the 20D for
comparison's sake.

Now I have to state that I'm slightly biased toward Canon because I own
some expensive Canon glass, so I had to go with an XT for compatibility
reasons. But having said that, if I was shopping around for a new DSLR,
and had no investment in lenses, and was new to the field, I'd probably
buy the Nikon D50 or D70s with a Nikkor 18-70mm lense to start out.

The only thing I don't like about Nikon is the lack of mirror lockup for
longer exposures.
The only thing I don't like about Canon is the partial metering instead
of spot.

I suppose I could live with either models.

Stacey

richardsfault wrote:

> I am researching options for putting together a DSLR lens and body
> package for $1000 - $1250.

Not enough info, what are you going to shoot and under what conditions are
most of your shots going to be taken.
--

Stacey

Stefan Patric

On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 10:09:37 -0500, richardsfault wrote:

> I am researching options for putting together a DSLR lens and body package
> for $1000 - $1250.
>
> [snip]

The most cost effective solution? Buying used, of course.

Stefan

Skip M

"Stacey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> richardsfault wrote:
>

>> I am researching options for putting together a DSLR lens and body
>> package for $1000 - $1250.
>>

> Not enough info, what are you going to shoot and under what conditions are
> most of your shots going to be taken.
> --
>
> Stacey

I'm not sure it matters. If he doesn't/can't be more specific, then your
beloved E-300 with attendant pair of lenses should be good for him. Unless
he wants higher frame rates, in which case his budget is insufficient.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com