Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > help - which camera

help - which camera

NikV

Hi
Background
Previously owned Minolta 7000 and 8000i with 28-85mm, 50mm 1.4 and 140 f2.8
+ top of the range minolta flash all these were sold when I got divorced
years ago. All but stopped using them due to processing costs.
Remarried - Nikon coolpix 800 - bought 6 years ago after Birth of first
child, lasted 4 years replaced with coolpix 4300. now waiting for third
child to be born
Wife came home after trying to take some pics of eldest at the harvest
festival - lots of photos of other kids but few of our own.!! Trying to take
pictures of kids on fairground rides is becoming very frustrating due to the
'shutter lag' (I think its called)

Considering
K-Minolta 7D
Nikon D70
Canon 20D
Canon 350D
In the end I would probably end up with 3 lenses - shortish zoom 18-55 (=
28-85 35mm frame -yes?)
24mm or 28mm optically fast fixed f1.8 or faster and a longish zoom
70-150ish + a decent flashgun
I cant afford to buy all at once so Body and fiest lens are important.

With 3 kids under 6 I need to be able to take pictures quickly after turning
camera on and shoot 5 frames in 10 secs - to record that golden moment ()
but also would like to get shots from the back of the hall and at least see
my kids. A macro for the spiders and bugs (kids like to take piccys to
school) Some landscapes and the usual milky waterfalls etc + daughter riding
in the distance

I've read lots and lots of reviews and most of the relevant posts here but I
am getting confused.

I really liked the feel of the minolta camera's and so was seriously
thinking about the 7D but reviews seem to say its slow to get going and
store shots + lack top lcd vs nice lcd + minolta glass

The coolpix 800 took great pics but I am disappointed with the pic quality
of the 4300 and the delays. I have no experience of nikon slrs

Handled the 350D and it felt small and a bit fragile

Given the type of photos and situations I want to shoot what do you think of
the lenses and body selections

Thanx for any advice - Its years since I did any real 35mm photography

--
(.(*. .*).)
<.. NIK ..>

Roy

"NikV" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dhcgqn$p94$1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> Background
> Previously owned Minolta 7000 and 8000i with 28-85mm, 50mm 1.4 and 140
> f2.8 + top of the range minolta flash all these were sold when I got
> divorced years ago. All but stopped using them due to processing costs.
> Remarried - Nikon coolpix 800 - bought 6 years ago after Birth of first
> child, lasted 4 years replaced with coolpix 4300. now waiting for third
> child to be born
> Wife came home after trying to take some pics of eldest at the harvest
> festival - lots of photos of other kids but few of our own.!! Trying to
> take pictures of kids on fairground rides is becoming very frustrating due
> to the 'shutter lag' (I think its called)
>
> Considering
> K-Minolta 7D
> Nikon D70
> Canon 20D
> Canon 350D
> In the end I would probably end up with 3 lenses - shortish zoom 18-55 (=
> 28-85 35mm frame -yes?)
> 24mm or 28mm optically fast fixed f1.8 or faster and a longish zoom
> 70-150ish + a decent flashgun
> I cant afford to buy all at once so Body and fiest lens are important.
>
> With 3 kids under 6 I need to be able to take pictures quickly after
> turning camera on and shoot 5 frames in 10 secs - to record that golden
> moment () but also would like to get shots from the back of the hall
> and at least see my kids. A macro for the spiders and bugs (kids like to
> take piccys to school) Some landscapes and the usual milky waterfalls etc
> + daughter riding in the distance
>
> I've read lots and lots of reviews and most of the relevant posts here but
> I am getting confused.
>
> I really liked the feel of the minolta camera's and so was seriously
> thinking about the 7D but reviews seem to say its slow to get going and
> store shots + lack top lcd vs nice lcd + minolta glass
>
> The coolpix 800 took great pics but I am disappointed with the pic quality
> of the 4300 and the delays. I have no experience of nikon slrs
>
> Handled the 350D and it felt small and a bit fragile
>

> Given the type of photos and situations I want to shoot what do you think
> of the lenses and body selections
>
> Thanx for any advice - Its years since I did any real 35mm photography
>
> --
> (.(*. .*).)
> <.. NIK ..>
> (.(.* *.).)

Hi.

I don't usually get involved in the What Camera? debates, but from what you
say, you should handle both the Nikon D70 and the Canon 20D.

They both feel a good a good bit bigger in the hand than the 350D. That is
what persuaded me to go for the Nikon, and cost put me off the 20D.

Any of those 3 would fit your photographic requirements. Some people will
promote one over the others, but each has advantages and disadvantages, and
you have enough experience to decide for yourself.

Have fun with whichever you choose.

Roy G

Bill

NikV wrote:

>Considering
>K-Minolta 7D
>Nikon D70
>Canon 20D
>Canon 350D

Any of them would take fine pictures, but I'd lean toward the Nikon or
Canon models for features and performance.

>In the end I would probably end up with 3 lenses - shortish zoom 18-55 (=
>28-85 35mm frame -yes?)
>24mm or 28mm optically fast fixed f1.8 or faster and a longish zoom
>70-150ish + a decent flashgun
>I cant afford to buy all at once so Body and fiest lens are important.

All of the above models come with a general use lense that covers wide
angle to short telephoto.

Of the ones listed, I believe the Nikon D70s comes with the best lense,
an 18-70mm that's sharp and focuses fairly quick.

>With 3 kids under 6 I need to be able to take pictures quickly after turning
>camera on and shoot 5 frames in 10 secs - to record that golden moment ()
>but also would like to get shots from the back of the hall and at least see
>my kids. A macro for the spiders and bugs (kids like to take piccys to
>school) Some landscapes and the usual milky waterfalls etc + daughter riding
>in the distance

No problems using the above for any of that...

>The coolpix 800 took great pics but I am disappointed with the pic quality
>of the 4300 and the delays. I have no experience of nikon slrs

Nikon makes some of the best SLR's on the planet, as does Canon.

>Handled the 350D and it felt small and a bit fragile

It is small, but it's not fragile - the body is polycarbonate and fairly
solid. Unless you plan on dropping your camera a lot, I wouldn't worry
about it.

Now, I'm biased toward Canon because I had Canon film cameras and
lenses. So when I went through a similar buying decision some time ago,
I had to decide between the 20D or the 350D/XT. At first I didn't care
for the XT because of its small size, but after using one for a day
(borrowed from a friend) I can't go back to a larger body. I became
accustomed to the size and weight of the XT, as well as its controls and
menus. My old film body feels huge by comparison...ugh.

>Thanx for any advice - Its years since I did any real 35mm photography

Most of what you know still applies, the only big difference is the
recording format has changed. If I was starting off fresh without any
bias, I'd probably buy the Nikon D70s or D50 with the 18-70mm lense.

Kitt

Well, the cheapest new one I've seen you don't mention and I don't know
a thing about it except the kit and the price. The new Olympus Evolt
500 comes with two zooms for about $900 (I think). I'm not even sure
it's available yet, but will be soon if not. The one I can speak to is
the Nikon D70, which I bought. With the kit lens and a cheap Phoenix
lens for macro, I was good from 18 to 100mm. The Phoenix is noisy and
cheesy, but the images are quite good and it gets you 1:1 macro with
the diopter that comes with it (1:2 without it). Add a 70-300 G lens
and you've got a wide range for a fair price and then improve from
there as you get more money. I ended up with a 28-200 that seldom
leaves the camera for around $300. There's a lot you can do and the
key is to pick the one you want and then use it without second guessing
yourself and looking back. I don't shoot a lot of action, but I've
never gotten ahead of the D70 and it comes on almost instantly. Coming
from point and shoot, you won't believe the speed. Compared to a
couple years ago, there is a whole new world out there for under $1500
including lenses, batteries, flash, tripod and bag. After that, you
can spend as much as you want upgrading your lens collection. You can
quickly drop three times that on one VR lens. Pick one and shoot away.
You'll love it!

Labrat

Popular Photography (popphoto.com) has an article available online where
they compared 9 dSLRs including the ones you listed. As I am not a
subscriber to their magazine, I am not sure if they have any bias toward one
manufacturer or another.

I have 10 years of shooting with Canon EOS cameras (and another 15 with an
FTb), so when it was time to upgrade I naturally went with Canon. After
handling both the 350D and the 20D I decided to go with the 20D mainly
because I have rather large hands which made holding the 350D awkward.
While the material the 350D is made of is light, but that does not make it
flimsy. My 300D, which is made of the same materials (more or less),
survived lots of kids parties and other hazards with no problems whatsoever.
Being light does have advantages when you have more responsibilities than
just taking pictures!

Even though I personally prefer Canon (due to an investment in glass), I am
not one of those rabid fanatics who insist that every other camera is CRAP!
(you know who you are...) If you are on a budget and you have not already
done so, I would suggest taking a look at the Nikon D50. You can get the
body, the 18-55mm kit lens and a Nikkor 55-200mm AF-S lens all for under
$1000.

LabRat

"NikV" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dhcgqn$p94$1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> Background
> Previously owned Minolta 7000 and 8000i with 28-85mm, 50mm 1.4 and 140
> f2.8 + top of the range minolta flash all these were sold when I got
> divorced years ago. All but stopped using them due to processing costs.
> Remarried - Nikon coolpix 800 - bought 6 years ago after Birth of first
> child, lasted 4 years replaced with coolpix 4300. now waiting for third
> child to be born
> Wife came home after trying to take some pics of eldest at the harvest
> festival - lots of photos of other kids but few of our own.!! Trying to
> take pictures of kids on fairground rides is becoming very frustrating due
> to the 'shutter lag' (I think its called)
>
> Considering
> K-Minolta 7D
> Nikon D70
> Canon 20D
> Canon 350D
> In the end I would probably end up with 3 lenses - shortish zoom 18-55 (=
> 28-85 35mm frame -yes?)
> 24mm or 28mm optically fast fixed f1.8 or faster and a longish zoom
> 70-150ish + a decent flashgun
> I cant afford to buy all at once so Body and fiest lens are important.
>
> With 3 kids under 6 I need to be able to take pictures quickly after
> turning camera on and shoot 5 frames in 10 secs - to record that golden
> moment () but also would like to get shots from the back of the hall
> and at least see my kids. A macro for the spiders and bugs (kids like to
> take piccys to school) Some landscapes and the usual milky waterfalls etc
> + daughter riding in the distance
>
> I've read lots and lots of reviews and most of the relevant posts here but
> I am getting confused.
>
> I really liked the feel of the minolta camera's and so was seriously
> thinking about the 7D but reviews seem to say its slow to get going and
> store shots + lack top lcd vs nice lcd + minolta glass
>
> The coolpix 800 took great pics but I am disappointed with the pic quality
> of the 4300 and the delays. I have no experience of nikon slrs
>
> Handled the 350D and it felt small and a bit fragile
>

> Given the type of photos and situations I want to shoot what do you think
> of the lenses and body selections
>
> Thanx for any advice - Its years since I did any real 35mm photography
>
> --
> (.(*. .*).)
> <.. NIK ..>
> (.(.* *.).)

NikV

"Labrat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Popular Photography (popphoto.com) has an article available online where
> they compared 9 dSLRs including the ones you listed. As I am not a
> subscriber to their magazine, I am not sure if they have any bias toward
> one manufacturer or another.
>
> I have 10 years of shooting with Canon EOS cameras (and another 15 with an
> FTb), so when it was time to upgrade I naturally went with Canon. After
> handling both the 350D and the 20D I decided to go with the 20D mainly
> because I have rather large hands which made holding the 350D awkward.
> While the material the 350D is made of is light, but that does not make it
> flimsy. My 300D, which is made of the same materials (more or less),
> survived lots of kids parties and other hazards with no problems
> whatsoever. Being light does have advantages when you have more
> responsibilities than just taking pictures!
>
> Even though I personally prefer Canon (due to an investment in glass), I
> am not one of those rabid fanatics who insist that every other camera is
> CRAP! (you know who you are...) If you are on a budget and you have not
> already done so, I would suggest taking a look at the Nikon D50. You can
> get the body, the 18-55mm kit lens and a Nikkor 55-200mm AF-S lens all for
> under $1000.
>
> LabRat

Thanx for all your comments - very useful, I had just about decided on the
D70s but the lack of stock and the likely lack of time before number 3 is
born (2 weeks) made me look at the D50 which has some advantages for my wife
using it as almost a P&S camera initally and I am almost sold on it with an
18-70mm lens + sb600 as a good starting point. I notice that it can be
bundled with a 28-200mm zoom but I don't think its wide enough - what sort
of quality is this lens?

(.(*. .*).)
.. NIK ..>
(.(.* *.).)

Bill

NikV wrote:

>Thanx for all your comments - very useful, I had just about decided on the
>D70s but the lack of stock and the likely lack of time before number 3 is
>born (2 weeks) made me look at the D50 which has some advantages for my wife
>using it as almost a P&S camera initally and I am almost sold on it with an
>18-70mm lens + sb600 as a good starting point.

That would be an excellent setup to get you started. Run out and buy it
right now before it's out of stock.

> I notice that it can be
>bundled with a 28-200mm zoom but I don't think its wide enough - what sort
>of quality is this lens?

I don't have much experience with Nikon gear, but from what I've heard
the 28-200mm isn't worth it for most people...mediocre image quality.
It's difficult to design a good and cheap wide coverage lense.

While it's handy to have such a wide range in a single lense, you'll be
somewhat disappointed if you buy a good lense later and compare the two.

For all around use, I'd say definitely stick with the 18-70mm lense.
It's sharp and covers a good range. You can add a longer zoom if you
find you need to do so later when conditions allow.

NikV

"Bill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> NikV wrote:
>
>>Thanx for all your comments - very useful, I had just about decided on
>>the
>>D70s but the lack of stock and the likely lack of time before number 3 is
>>born (2 weeks) made me look at the D50 which has some advantages for my
>>wife
>>using it as almost a P&S camera initally and I am almost sold on it with
>>an
>>18-70mm lens + sb600 as a good starting point.

> That would be an excellent setup to get you started. Run out and buy it
> right now before it's out of stock.

I think I've persuaded SWMBO and I've managed to save up just about enough
over the last 6 months (d70s would be body + lens only) so I will try
ordering tomorrow ))

>> I notice that it can be
>>bundled with a 28-200mm zoom but I don't think its wide enough - what sort
>>of quality is this lens?

> I don't have much experience with Nikon gear, but from what I've heard
> the 28-200mm isn't worth it for most people...mediocre image quality.
> It's difficult to design a good and cheap wide coverage lense.
>
> While it's handy to have such a wide range in a single lense, you'll be
> somewhat disappointed if you buy a good lense later and compare the two.
>
> For all around use, I'd say definitely stick with the 18-70mm lense.
> It's sharp and covers a good range. You can add a longer zoom if you
> find you need to do so later when conditions allow.

cheers - I need a good general purpose set up first so you just confirmed it

(.(*. .*).)
<.. NIK ..>
(.(.* *.).)

Bill

NikV wrote:

>> For all around use, I'd say definitely stick with the 18-70mm lense.
>> It's sharp and covers a good range. You can add a longer zoom if you
>> find you need to do so later when conditions allow.

>cheers - I need a good general purpose set up first so you just confirmed it

Let us know how you like it.

NikV

"Bill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> NikV wrote:
>
>>> For all around use, I'd say definitely stick with the 18-70mm lense.
>>> It's sharp and covers a good range. You can add a longer zoom if you
>>> find you need to do so later when conditions allow.

>>cheers - I need a good general purpose set up first so you just confirmed
>>it

> Let us know how you like it.

Right - in the end went for :- D50 + 18-70mm - lovely lens definitely
comparable to the 28-85 minolta (on 8000i body) but faster AF, + sb600 gun
was able to persuade SWMBO to add the 55-200mm DX lens as well (must be
xmas. Great set up for returner to SLR very responsive kit - 55-200mm bit
slow on AF but no worse than borrowed 75-300 sigma on minolta 8000i body 7
years ago (IIRC). SWMBO - taken some stunning pics in auto/sports/portait
mode but she says its too large bulky and worried about dropping/damaging
it. Only taken about 400 shots so far (2 days) so very pleased ATM but for
me Spot metering is a bit buried in the menu system. Speed from on to shot
is fast!!! with 18-70, more sedate with 55-200 (plastic lens mount - not
impressed for 170 lens). Now must start saving for the 105 micro lens only
550 to go :-<

Thanx for advice/interest especially those unbiased cannonites (Bill I
think)