Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > SFP Fibre cable between 2 x 6500's

SFP Fibre cable between 2 x 6500's

Gary

We have 2 x 6500's and have a prefab fibre cable with SFP connectors. We
plug GBIC's into the 6500's and the SFP cable into the Gig1/1 port which are
the SFP ports but the ports do not come up.

Does the fibre need to be crossed or can we enter some mdix config commands
to deal with this?

Gary

CiscoHeadsetAdapter.com

Gary,

To connect any two GBICs (or SFP modules), you should connect TX on one
switch to RX on another. Just think logically - one fiber SENDS a light, so,
another should RECEIVE it.

Practically, fiber patch cords are color coded. So, if on the one end you
connect "Black/White", then on another end you should connect White/Black.

Good luck,

Mike
---
www.ciscoheadsetadapter.com

"Gary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> We have 2 x 6500's and have a prefab fibre cable with SFP connectors. We
> plug GBIC's into the 6500's and the SFP cable into the Gig1/1 port which
> are the SFP ports but the ports do not come up.
>
> Does the fibre need to be crossed or can we enter some mdix config
> commands to deal with this?
>
> Gary

Gary

The 6500 has an mdix auto command in the gig interfaces but it does not do
anything.

Is the only option to alter the cables.

Gary
"CiscoHeadsetAdapter.com" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Gary,
>
> To connect any two GBICs (or SFP modules), you should connect TX on one
> switch to RX on another. Just think logically - one fiber SENDS a light,
> so, another should RECEIVE it.
>
> Practically, fiber patch cords are color coded. So, if on the one end you
> connect "Black/White", then on another end you should connect White/Black.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Mike
> ---
> www.ciscoheadsetadapter.com
>

> "Gary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> We have 2 x 6500's and have a prefab fibre cable with SFP connectors. We
>> plug GBIC's into the 6500's and the SFP cable into the Gig1/1 port which
>> are the SFP ports but the ports do not come up.
>>
>> Does the fibre need to be crossed or can we enter some mdix config
>> commands to deal with this?
>>
>> Gary

CiscoHeadsetAdapter.com

Gary,

You can not "swap" TX and RX signals on the Fiber GBICs. Physically you have
light source on the one jack, and light receiver on the another. Just swap
cable connectors to have TX<-->RX for the both ends and it will work.

> The 6500 has an mdix auto command in the gig interfaces but it does not do
> anything.
>
> Is the only option to alter the cables.
>
> Gary
> "CiscoHeadsetAdapter.com" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Gary,
>>
>> To connect any two GBICs (or SFP modules), you should connect TX on one
>> switch to RX on another. Just think logically - one fiber SENDS a light,
>> so, another should RECEIVE it.
>>
>> Practically, fiber patch cords are color coded. So, if on the one end you
>> connect "Black/White", then on another end you should connect
>> White/Black.
>>
>> Good luck,
>>
>> Mike
>> ---
>> www.ciscoheadsetadapter.com
>>

>> "Gary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> We have 2 x 6500's and have a prefab fibre cable with SFP connectors. We
>>> plug GBIC's into the 6500's and the SFP cable into the Gig1/1 port which
>>> are the SFP ports but the ports do not come up.
>>>
>>> Does the fibre need to be crossed or can we enter some mdix config
>>> commands to deal with this?
>>>
>>> Gary

anybody43@hotmail.com

I can't speak for any particular cables however FO patch
leads are usually "crossover".

This is what most people want since the task is often to
connect two identical switch ports.

"Straight through" patch leads would have to be specially ordered.

If you think about it you always (well pretty much) have an odd number
of
leads.

I am making the rest up.

Port - Patch - Port ---- 1 lead
Port - Patch - Infrastructure-cable - Patch- Port --- 3 leads
Port - Patch - Infra-cable - Patch - Infra-cable - Patch - Port --- 5
leads
etc. etc.

So if they are all crossover they you always get the right thing and
all ports are identical.

Not so bad really.