Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Tamron 180 Macro Lens

Tamron 180 Macro Lens

john_doe_ph_d

Anyone care to share their experience with the Tamron 180 mm macro (SP
AF180mm F/3.5 Di LD (IF) 1:1 Macro), in particular with a Nikon D70
camera?

There's always the thought that 3rd party lenses are not quite up to
snuff with the OEM lenses (e.g. Nikon, Cannon). However, the Tamron 90
mm macro appears to be universally well-regarded.

Thanks.

John

"john_doe_ph_d" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Anyone care to share their experience with the Tamron 180 mm macro (SP
> AF180mm F/3.5 Di LD (IF) 1:1 Macro), in particular with a Nikon D70
> camera?
>
> There's always the thought that 3rd party lenses are not quite up to
> snuff with the OEM lenses (e.g. Nikon, Cannon). However, the Tamron 90
> mm macro appears to be universally well-regarded.
>
> Thanks.

I can't comment on the Tamron 180 but I do use the Tamron 90mm f2.8 Macro DI
f/2.8. For macro work it is an excellent performer and would have no
hesitation in recommending this lens. Here are a couple of photographs taken
with the 90mm.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y21...-Spider-02.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y21...-Victim-03.jpg

John

Rita Berkowitz

John wrote:

> I can't comment on the Tamron 180 but I do use the Tamron 90mm f2.8
> Macro DI f/2.8. For macro work it is an excellent performer and would
> have no hesitation in recommending this lens. Here are a couple of
> photographs taken with the 90mm.

Nice shots! I use a Nikon Micro Nikkor 105 f/2.8 and really like it. It's
worth every penny. Here are a couple shots of a spider I stumbled by.

http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2003/eBay/Spider.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2003/eBay/Spider_a.jpg

Rita

Ed Ruf

On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 09:46:17 -0400, in rec.photo.digital "Rita Berkowitz"
<ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:

>John wrote:
>
>> I can't comment on the Tamron 180 but I do use the Tamron 90mm f2.8
>> Macro DI f/2.8. For macro work it is an excellent performer and would
>> have no hesitation in recommending this lens. Here are a couple of
>> photographs taken with the 90mm.

>Nice shots! I use a Nikon Micro Nikkor 105 f/2.8 and really like it. It's
>worth every penny. Here are a couple shots of a spider I stumbled by.
>
>http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2003/eBay/Spider.jpg
>
>http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2003/eBay/Spider_a.jpg

Ah, common female garden spider, I have one in my front window, shown here
feeding on a large horsefly I tossed in the web:
http://edwardgruf.com/Digital_Photog..._6516_800.html
taken with a +4 close up diopter on the lit lens, with flash given the f/29
needed to make the dof as wide as possible with the diopter.

For info you might wish to look at
http://www.spiderroom.info/va_gardenspider.html
Lot's of good info, just beware of the stupid audio content. I believe the
site is geared towards kids in the classroom.....
----------
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at

Frank ess

Ed Ruf wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 09:46:17 -0400, in rec.photo.digital "Rita
> Berkowitz" <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:
>
>> John wrote:
>>
>>> I can't comment on the Tamron 180 but I do use the Tamron 90mm
>>> f2.8
>>> Macro DI f/2.8. For macro work it is an excellent performer and
>>> would have no hesitation in recommending this lens. Here are a
>>> couple of photographs taken with the 90mm.

>> Nice shots! I use a Nikon Micro Nikkor 105 f/2.8 and really like
>> it. It's worth every penny. Here are a couple shots of a spider I
>> stumbled by.
>>
>> http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2003/eBay/Spider.jpg
>>
>> http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2003/eBay/Spider_a.jpg

> Ah, common female garden spider, I have one in my front window,
> shown
> here feeding on a large horsefly I tossed in the web:
> http://edwardgruf.com/Digital_Photog..._6516_800.html
> taken with a +4 close up diopter on the lit lens, with flash given
> the f/29 needed to make the dof as wide as possible with the
> diopter.
>
> For info you might wish to look at
> http://www.spiderroom.info/va_gardenspider.html
> Lot's of good info, just beware of the stupid audio content. I
> believe the site is geared towards kids in the classroom.....

Spider day?
http://static.flickr.com/24/44587715_7ba055abed_o.jpg
Tamron 90mm, Canon XT/350D, built-in flash

http://static.flickr.com/32/42583518_020345a7b1_o.jpg
Canon S500

--
Frank ess

john_doe_ph_d

Enough with the spiders already. Can we discuss the lens?

tzipple

I am a Canon user. I have the Tamron 90 macro and like it. I got a great
deal on a used one. I also have a Canon 180 macro.... again, I got a
great deal on a used one. Would I have bought the Tamron 180 if I found
the right deal? Probably. Do I like the Canon better? Absolutely. The
Canon is smoother, sturdier, and feels better in my hand. However, I am
betting that the photo quality is very. very, similar to the Tamron. I
suspect that this is all true for Nikon v. Tamron as well.

MAcro lenses are very simple animals in optical terms. Almost any will
deliver sharp photos. Remember the old, very cheap Vivitar macros? Awful
build but if you did not bang them much, they delivered good photos. The
price difference is in the build. Is it worth the difference? Depends on
how and how often you use it.