Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Un-Solarize pictures

Un-Solarize pictures

Jambo

Hi all
Accidentally took some pics on my Sony phone with the Solarize feature
left on. Is there a program i can use to reverse this on the pics i
have?
Many thanks for any help
James

Gormless

"Jambo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi all
> Accidentally took some pics on my Sony phone with the Solarize feature
> left on. Is there a program i can use to reverse this on the pics i
> have?
> Many thanks for any help
> James

I think the words pics and phone have no legal right to appear in the same
sentence.

It saddens me to see the number of people at probably important events (to
them, anyway) poking a 1MP (if they're lucky) mobile phone in the general
direction of the action.

I shudder to imagine what sort of pictorial travesty this so-called
'solarize' feature produces, but I greatly doubt it's reversible.
Solarisation (forgive my British, and correct, spelling) is a process of
removal, and you can't put back what you simply don't know was removed. Eg,
was it blue or was it red?

(I suspect that even if the solarise feature was set to off you wouldn't get
any useable pictures from the device. But that's just a sad and deluded old
16+ MP real camera user speaking)

salgud

Gormless wrote:
> "Jambo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> > Hi all
> > Accidentally took some pics on my Sony phone with the Solarize feature
> > left on. Is there a program i can use to reverse this on the pics i
> > have?
> > Many thanks for any help
> > James
> >

> I think the words pics and phone have no legal right to appear in the same
> sentence.
>
> It saddens me to see the number of people at probably important events (to
> them, anyway) poking a 1MP (if they're lucky) mobile phone in the general
> direction of the action.
>
> I shudder to imagine what sort of pictorial travesty this so-called
> 'solarize' feature produces, but I greatly doubt it's reversible.
> Solarisation (forgive my British, and correct, spelling) is a process of
> removal, and you can't put back what you simply don't know was removed. Eg,
> was it blue or was it red?
>
> (I suspect that even if the solarise feature was set to off you wouldn't get
> any useable pictures from the device. But that's just a sad and deluded old
> 16+ MP real camera user speaking)

I think camera phones are great! I don't own one, don't need a cell
phone at the moment, but I've used them enough to know what a handy
thing they can be. I used to sell cell phones. I had one client who was
a buyer who travelled all over the country, looking for specific items
her company needed that were often hard to find. In the past, when she
located an item that looked promising, she'd have to get the specs on
the item, the get to a fax machine, send them to the office, and wait
for a yes or no. She wanted the phone camera so she could just snap a
pic, send it back, and get her reply in minutes. I also sold them to
real estate agents, people in the car buying and selling business,
import/export business and other businesses where a quick, simple, low
resolution image was more than adequate.
If I had a choice, I wouldn't take one to a major event, but if I was
at a major event without a real camera, I'd be very happy I had a
camera phone. Like most things, including expensive DSLR's, they have
their uses. It's knowing the capabilities and limitations of the device
that make them useful. Lack of that understanding can certainly render
them useless!

Jambo

Well the phone is the new Sony 2mega pixel one and takes great photos.
Its so much better than taking too devices aroiund with you.
Guess on the subject of the Solarize part then I stuck with the pics in
that mode. Oh well live and learn so next time i will check what mode
its in before i take them.

Ed Ruf

On 23 Sep 2005 10:17:05 -0700, in rec.photo.digital "Jambo"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi all
>Accidentally took some pics on my Sony phone with the Solarize feature
>left on. Is there a program i can use to reverse this on the pics i
>have?

Better to post the pic somewhere to see if anyone can help.
----------
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at

Bernard Saper

Ed
It's very doubtful that you can undo the solarization from the image, but
there may be a way to salvage a reasonable photograph. Try this

Open the photograph and convert it to grey scale. Then convert the grey
scale image to a negative [in Photoshop that would be image>adjust>invert]
Finally use levels to adjust the tonal range to your satisfaction. You'll
end up with a reasonable grey scale image---not great, but not a total loss.

Bernie

"Ed Ruf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 23 Sep 2005 10:17:05 -0700, in rec.photo.digital "Jambo"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Hi all
>>Accidentally took some pics on my Sony phone with the Solarize feature
>>left on. Is there a program i can use to reverse this on the pics i
>>have?

> Better to post the pic somewhere to see if anyone can help.
> ----------
> Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ((E-Mail Removed))
> http://edwardgruf.com/Digital_Photog...ral/index.html

PcB

<<I think the words pics and phone have no legal right to appear in the same
sentence.>>

I disagree. Certainly, the "image quality" from a 1MP digital camera will
not be as good as, er, anything else <g> but that isn't the point - at this
level, photography is about capturing the moment, not pursuing infinite
sharpness and technical detail. Do you use a large format or 35mm? Film or
digital? Given a choice of "no camera" or my 3MP compact I would take the
compact. The camera on my phone is dire but I would still choose that over
"no camera".

For me, the most honest photographs are snapshots - true, they aren't the
same "images" as I try and create but they certainly capture the moment.

And check out Reichhold Arts - all (allegedly) taken on a cameraphone - at
http://www.reichholdarts.com/

And no, I don't know how to un-solarise anything <g>.

--
Paul ============}
o o

// Live fast, die old //
PaulsPages and Galleries are at
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pcbradley/NewGallery.htm

kashe@sonic.net

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 19:05:45 +0100, "Gormless" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"Jambo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed) roups.com...
>> Hi all
>> Accidentally took some pics on my Sony phone with the Solarize feature
>> left on. Is there a program i can use to reverse this on the pics i
>> have?
>> Many thanks for any help
>> James
>>

>I think the words pics and phone have no legal right to appear in the same
>sentence.
>
>It saddens me to see the number of people at probably important events (to
>them, anyway) poking a 1MP (if they're lucky) mobile phone in the general
>direction of the action.
>
>I shudder to imagine what sort of pictorial travesty this so-called
>'solarize' feature produces, but I greatly doubt it's reversible.
>Solarisation (forgive my British, and correct, spelling)

Yet another self-important, though insecute brit pig.

And no, you're unforgiveable, jerk.

> is a process of
>removal, and you can't put back what you simply don't know was removed. Eg,
>was it blue or was it red?
>
>(I suspect that even if the solarise feature was set to off you wouldn't get
>any useable pictures from the device. But that's just a sad and deluded old
>16+ MP real camera user speaking)

Justin Thyme

"Gormless" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Jambo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>> Hi all
>> Accidentally took some pics on my Sony phone with the Solarize feature
>> left on. Is there a program i can use to reverse this on the pics i
>> have?
>> Many thanks for any help
>> James
>>

> I think the words pics and phone have no legal right to appear in the same
> sentence.
>
> It saddens me to see the number of people at probably important events (to
> them, anyway) poking a 1MP (if they're lucky) mobile phone in the general
> direction of the action.

Some of the new Sony's are 2MP and produce quite a respectable image. On
par, or maybe even better, than a disposable film camera.
Having said that though - the best camera is the camera you have with you.
While I'd like to take my full SLR kit with me everywhere I go, sometimes
it's not practical. Sometimes it's not even practical to take a compact
digicam. Or sometimes I won't have a camera on me because I didn't
anticipate needing it. I almost always have my mobile phone with me (with
it's disgusting 0.1MP image quality), and I have on occasions used my mobile
to take a picture of something that I otherwise wouldn't have had a picture
of at all. Even a bad picture is better than none at all.

> I shudder to imagine what sort of pictorial travesty this so-called
> 'solarize' feature produces, but I greatly doubt it's reversible.
> Solarisation (forgive my British, and correct, spelling) is a process of
> removal, and you can't put back what you simply don't know was removed.
> Eg,
> was it blue or was it red?
>
> (I suspect that even if the solarise feature was set to off you wouldn't
> get
> any useable pictures from the device. But that's just a sad and deluded
> old
> 16+ MP real camera user speaking)

nailer

load into photoshop and try to reverse using curves.
unless you know the exact alghoritm, it would be almost impossible.