Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Is this photo real?

Is this photo real?

Randy Berbaum

In rec.photo.digital DD (Rox) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
: >
: > Just looked it up. It's 1000m high (3,281 ft). Sounds like you, DD
: > Rox, won't do like those guys here
: >
: > http://tinypic.com/dxjntk.jpg
: > http://tinypic.com/dxjodi.jpg
: >
: > Man, my knees hurt just looking at it.

: Definitely not. I get nervous travelling up mountain passes in cars!

: It's not that I am afraid of heights - I'm afraid of falling to my
: death from great heights!

As the old saying goes, it isnt the fall that gets you, its the sudden
stop.

Actually these photos aren't too scary, but I remember one vacation to
Yosemite when I was on an overlook from far over the valley floor. At the
end of the path there was a cliff that dropped vertically from a sharp
edge. At that point there was a railing that you could lean against. But
the railing was angled so that if you leaned firmly aginst it your head
(and part of your upper body) was extending out over the drop. You could
look several hundred feet STRAIGHT DOWN. Now THAT was scary. I loved the
view!

Actually I don't have a problem with such a viewpoint, but am always
worried about dropping a camera or loosing my glasses and so I'm always so
concerned about dropping something I rarely notice the precarious
position of my body.

Randy

==========
Randy Berbaum
Champaign, IL

DD (Rox)

In article <dh0fbu$gi2$(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> As the old saying goes, it isnt the fall that gets you, its the sudden
> stop.
>
> Actually these photos aren't too scary, but I remember one vacation to
> Yosemite when I was on an overlook from far over the valley floor. At the
> end of the path there was a cliff that dropped vertically from a sharp
> edge. At that point there was a railing that you could lean against. But
> the railing was angled so that if you leaned firmly aginst it your head
> (and part of your upper body) was extending out over the drop. You could
> look several hundred feet STRAIGHT DOWN. Now THAT was scary. I loved the
> view!
>
> Actually I don't have a problem with such a viewpoint, but am always
> worried about dropping a camera or loosing my glasses and so I'm always so
> concerned about dropping something I rarely notice the precarious
> position of my body.

No thanks. It's funny though, I can handle heights when I am inside
something. When I first got married we lived in a flat on the 16th floor
of a 32 story building. I had no problem sticking my head out of the
window, even from the top. However, growing up as a kid we used to live
in a building where the washlines were on the roof which was only 13
floors up. There was a wall around the entire roof that was the same
height as the balconies of all the apartments, but I couldn't look out
over the edge. My legs would give way (reminds me of an episode of Mr.
Bean!).

Cable cars and planes I'm fine in too.

--
Look. See. Click. Share.
www.leica.co.za

Chris Brown

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>or is it photoshopped? My knees soften just looking at it.

Given how much the chock-stone must weigh, I doubt someone standing on it is
going to make it go anywhere in a hurry.

casioculture@gmail.com

Chris Brown wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >or is it photoshopped? My knees soften just looking at it.

> Given how much the chock-stone must weigh, I doubt someone standing on it is
> going to make it go anywhere in a hurry.

I'd be more worried about me being thrown off balance by a gust of
wind.

John Fryatt

DD (Rox) wrote:
> In article <dh0fbu$gi2$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...

> No thanks. It's funny though, I can handle heights when I am inside
> something. When I first got married we lived in a flat on the 16th floor
> of a 32 story building. I had no problem sticking my head out of the
> window, even from the top. However, growing up as a kid we used to live
> in a building where the washlines were on the roof which was only 13
> floors up. There was a wall around the entire roof that was the same
> height as the balconies of all the apartments, but I couldn't look out
> over the edge. My legs would give way (reminds me of an episode of Mr.
> Bean!).
>
> Cable cars and planes I'm fine in too.

Reminds me of a photo I saw in a magazine a while ago. It was an old
one, from the 30s, and showed steel erectors working on the Empire State
buiding in New York. It was lunchtime and they were sitting on a steel
beam sticking out into empty space about zillion feet up, eating sandwiches!
Gaaah! I felt queasy just looking at the picture. Great bit of
photography actually, the image really captured what it was like to be
up there. At least I think he did, because I am never going to find out
for myself.

Aeroplanes are different somehow, aren't they? I can look out and see
the tiny specks that are cars etc. from thousands of feet up and not
worry at all.

DD (Rox)

In article <fYRYe.19094$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
says...

> Reminds me of a photo I saw in a magazine a while ago. It was an old
> one, from the 30s, and showed steel erectors working on the Empire State
> buiding in New York. It was lunchtime and they were sitting on a steel
> beam sticking out into empty space about zillion feet up, eating sandwiches!
> Gaaah! I felt queasy just looking at the picture. Great bit of
> photography actually, the image really captured what it was like to be
> up there. At least I think he did, because I am never going to find out
> for myself.

Ha! Believe it or not we have two large prints of those images framed in
our boardroom! The second one shows the same guys taking a nap on the
girders!!

--
Look. See. Click. Share.
www.leica.co.za

Jer

Stacey wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>

>>Just looked it up. It's 1000m high (3,281 ft). Sounds like you, DD Rox,
>>won't do like those guys here
>>
>>http://tinypic.com/dxjntk.jpg
>>

> That's insane..

Next time I see Darwin, I'm gonna ask him if he's aware of this
situation. Seems there are still some people around that haven't met him.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

Chris Brown

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Chris Brown wrote:
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> >
>> >or is it photoshopped? My knees soften just looking at it.

>> Given how much the chock-stone must weigh, I doubt someone standing on it is
>> going to make it go anywhere in a hurry.

>I'd be more worried about me being thrown off balance by a gust of
>wind.

Do you find this happens a lot? I mean, it would seem to be just as likely
when walking next to a busy road.

Peter Chant

Ron Hunter wrote:

> Probably real, and that backpack is probably a parachute....

Not that I parachute, but I don't think it is, it looks more like rucksack
straps than a parachute harness. He's got no helmet and and the belt part
of the rucksack is undone.

--
http://www.petezilla.co.uk

Peter Chant

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> I'd be more worried about me being thrown off balance by a gust of
> wind.

I'd be creating my own gusts of wind if you tried putting me on that...

--
http://www.petezilla.co.uk