Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Fuji S7000: hot shoe and flash voltages

Fuji S7000: hot shoe and flash voltages

The Wop

Hi folks.

I've read that an excessive voltage on the external flash
hot shoe can wreak havoc on the internal circuitry of a
digital camera.
Sync voltages seem to vary quite a lot between flashes. I
have two flashes. With a voltage tester on I've measured 4V
on one and 60V on the other!

Does anyone know what is the maximum voltage my hotshoe
(Fuji finepix S7000) can safely sustain?

Google and the Fuji site haven't helped...

Thanks, The Wop

grumpy@mailinator.com

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 17:40:12 +0200, The Wop <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I've read that an excessive voltage on the external flash
> hot shoe can wreak havoc on the internal circuitry of a
> digital camera.
> Sync voltages seem to vary quite a lot between flashes. I
> have two flashes. With a voltage tester on I've measured 4V
> on one and 60V on the other!
>
> Does anyone know what is the maximum voltage my hotshoe
> (Fuji finepix S7000) can safely sustain?

Around 15V max.

Richard Tomkins

On film cameras the trigger mechanism is a contact switch, ie; mechanical.
On digital cameras, the trigger mechanism is usually a semiconductor, thus
the danger of high voltage triggering as the capability of the design can be
exceeded.
There is an IEEE standard that defines what cameras should do, but, it seems
that many of the manufacturers have chosen to ignore the standard, thus the
danger.
Generally, there is a suggestion that 12VDC and below should be safe, but,
best to verify if possible with the actual camera manufacturer.

Use this as a search term in Google, external flash digital camera trigger
voltage
and you will find that a lot of information exists on the net.

I myself use a photocell trigger on my external flash, so in fact, the
camera flashes and then the external flash is triggered, this all happens at
close to the speed of light so it works quite well, and my external flash
trigger cannot then be damaged.

rtt

"The Wop" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dgmm53$hea$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi folks.
>
> I've read that an excessive voltage on the external flash
> hot shoe can wreak havoc on the internal circuitry of a
> digital camera.
> Sync voltages seem to vary quite a lot between flashes. I
> have two flashes. With a voltage tester on I've measured 4V
> on one and 60V on the other!
>
> Does anyone know what is the maximum voltage my hotshoe
> (Fuji finepix S7000) can safely sustain?
>
> Google and the Fuji site haven't helped...
>
> Thanks, The Wop

Paul

Here is a useful site:
http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html
according to Fuji the S602 was tolerant of up to 400V! The S7000 is
almost identical so I imagine this would not be changed.
I had an S602 and used a Metz 45CT4 for the time I owned the camera with
no problems (it triggered quite happily through the old Olympus
dedicated SCA adapter I had from a previous film camera (by the way,
Metz make adapters for many of their flashes to use them on Digi cams,
my camera after the S602 was an Olympus C8080, I was very happy to
doscover I could buy a new SCA adapter to use it TTL with my Olympus).

The Wop wrote:
> Hi folks.
>
> I've read that an excessive voltage on the external flash hot shoe can
> wreak havoc on the internal circuitry of a digital camera.
> Sync voltages seem to vary quite a lot between flashes. I have two
> flashes. With a voltage tester on I've measured 4V on one and 60V on the
> other!
>
> Does anyone know what is the maximum voltage my hotshoe (Fuji finepix
> S7000) can safely sustain?
>
> Google and the Fuji site haven't helped...
>
> Thanks, The Wop

Paul H.

"Richard Tomkins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:432f21ca$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I myself use a photocell trigger on my external flash, so in fact, the
> camera flashes and then the external flash is triggered, this all happens

at
> close to the speed of light so it works quite well, and my external flash
> trigger cannot then be damaged.

That's OK if you always want to rely on the S7000's judgement about when (or
even if) the flash should be fired-- that's kind of limiting for many
situations.

Check out the chart here: http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

I decided not to take any chances with my S7000 and bought a Sunpak 383
(G.N. 130) from B&H. I've used it for about a year and it's still working
great.