Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Slide Scanning

Slide Scanning

RSchultz

Any suggestions on how to convert about 1500 35mm slides?? I know there
are services that do this. I am considering purchasing a slide scanner.
Should I stay away from any particular brand/kind? Have you had really
good results with doing this process?

Stacey

RSchultz wrote:

> Any suggestions on how to convert about 1500 35mm slides?? I know there
> are services that do this. I am considering purchasing a slide scanner.

Is your time worth anything? If so factor that into the cost.

> Have you had really
> good results with doing this process?

Yes but it can be time consuming

--

Stacey

Gautam Majumdar

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 03:35:53 +0100, RSchultz wrote:

> Any suggestions on how to convert about 1500 35mm slides?? I know there
> are services that do this. I am considering purchasing a slide scanner.

It is a time consuming job. Each slides takes 3-5 minutes for scaning in a
good scanner with high resolution & digital ICE (it removes dust marks)

> Should I stay away from any particular brand/kind? Have you had really
> good results with doing this process?

You have to post-process to get the best results.

--

Gautam Majumdar

Please send e-mails to http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Bruce Coryell

RSchultz wrote:
> Any suggestions on how to convert about 1500 35mm slides?? I know there
> are services that do this. I am considering purchasing a slide scanner.
> Should I stay away from any particular brand/kind? Have you had really
> good results with doing this process?

I'm interested in this topic, too, and also have a number of slides to
scan in the low 1000's. I have Photoshop, and would do this in my spare
time so time and post-processing are not issues. What models of slide
scanners have people used with good results? Are there any flatbed
scanners with slide/negative scanning capabilities that are any good, or
should I just forget about those?

Jasen

"Bruce Coryell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:SgdXe.1344$(E-Mail Removed)...
> RSchultz wrote:
> > Any suggestions on how to convert about 1500 35mm slides?? I know there
> > are services that do this. I am considering purchasing a slide scanner.
> > Should I stay away from any particular brand/kind? Have you had really
> > good results with doing this process?
> >

> I'm interested in this topic, too, and also have a number of slides to
> scan in the low 1000's. I have Photoshop, and would do this in my spare
> time so time and post-processing are not issues. What models of slide
> scanners have people used with good results? Are there any flatbed
> scanners with slide/negative scanning capabilities that are any good, or
> should I just forget about those?

I bought the Epson Perfection 4180 a earlier this year and I get very good
results. I highly recommend it.
If you have a heap of slides and don't want to pay big money to get them
scanned then this is the next best thing, for me at least. I did it in my
spare time and had to do some post processing but I didn't mind spending the
time doing that as a few shots actually were made readily available in the
digital form and I ended up selling them to people. Those same photos were
sitting for a few years in my cupboard, unseen and unavailable for easy
viewing or cheap printing. So, go, get yourself a scanner, you'll be
pleased you did. I don't know much about the other brands, but Canon is
good too. I think at the time I bought the Epson it was getting better
reviews and was a bit cheaper too.
Hope this helps.

Robert Feinman

In article <do4Xe.6941$Zg5.2273@trndny05>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
> Any suggestions on how to convert about 1500 35mm slides?? I know there
> are services that do this. I am considering purchasing a slide scanner.
> Should I stay away from any particular brand/kind? Have you had really
> good results with doing this process?

The Minolta 5400 is currently the best scanner for the price for 35mm.
Some people prefer Nikon, though.
The real question is why you want to scan the slides.
Do think digital will be more archival?
Do you want to make prints or a web site from the scans?
Do you want to be able to index them?
If you plan to display, how big? Inkjet or some other technology.

In general I suggest avoiding wholesale scanning, unless your originals
are fading or otherwise deteriorating. There is no guarantee that the
digital format will hold up better than film, especially if stored
correctly.
Just scan those you have an immediate need for and keep the rest as
is.

--
Robert D Feinman
http://robertdfeinman.com

Bob Salomon

In article <SgdXe.1344$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Bruce Coryell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> RSchultz wrote:
> > Any suggestions on how to convert about 1500 35mm slides?? I know there
> > are services that do this. I am considering purchasing a slide scanner.
> > Should I stay away from any particular brand/kind? Have you had really
> > good results with doing this process?
> >

> I'm interested in this topic, too, and also have a number of slides to
> scan in the low 1000's. I have Photoshop, and would do this in my spare
> time so time and post-processing are not issues. What models of slide
> scanners have people used with good results? Are there any flatbed
> scanners with slide/negative scanning capabilities that are any good, or
> should I just forget about those?

The Braun 4000 scans at up to 3600 x 3600. It uses straight or round
Braun slide trays, has ICE and ROC built-in and can scan up to 100 glass
or glassless slides fully automatically into PS. Works with MAC and PC
on Firewire or USB.

Just put the slide tray into the scanner, tell it which slides to scan
and at what res and come back two hours later and they are all done.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

Patzt

Up until now, I've scanned about 1400 slides with my HP 5470c and have
been happy with the results most of the time.

clw

In article <do4Xe.6941$Zg5.2273@trndny05>, RSchultz <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> Any suggestions on how to convert about 1500 35mm slides?? I know there
> are services that do this. I am considering purchasing a slide scanner.
> Should I stay away from any particular brand/kind? Have you had really
> good results with doing this process?

I bought a Nikon Coolscan V ED (600.00) and scanned about 2000 slides
and an equal number of negative film strips. Excellent results. To
save time I did not use all the built in corrections available, thinking
I could clean up almost anything with something like Photo Shop elements
and Polaroid Dust and Scratches filter if I ever wanted to make prints.
I did make an effort to remove as much dust before scanning (there is
ample time to do this while the prior slide or strip is scanning.)

The biggest drawback to this is the time it takes. The great result is
that you can now organize all your photos, slide or negatives, into such
things as where, when, who, event etc. This makes for some nice DVD's
you can take to reunions etc and play on someone's TV for a group
without needing a projector etc.

One last thing, after you finish doing this, you can then sell the
scanner to someone who also wants to do this and have enough to buy a
high quality flat bed scanner or more RAM for your PhotoShop work.
--
Panta rei

Labrat

The Nikon Coolscan scanners have an optional slide feeder attachment which
allows you to load up to 50 slides, start things going, and walk away. The
system will scan each of the slides in succession while you are off doing
other things. The newer models are fairly expensive, but the older ones are
readily available on Ebay for a reasonable price.

LabRat