Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Understanding lens perspective

Understanding lens perspective

Jay

Found an article that explains perspective better than I've seen anywhere:

http://www.photocamel.com/index.php/topic,2197.0.html

Dirty Harry

members only

"Jay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Found an article that explains perspective better than I've seen anywhere:
>
> http://www.photocamel.com/index.php/topic,2197.0.html

Charles

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 21:42:24 GMT, Jay <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Found an article that explains perspective better than I've seen anywhere:
>
>http://www.photocamel.com/index.php/topic,2197.0.html

what's old is new again. I remember learning this about 30 years ago,
either from Pop. Photo or Modern Photo mag. Or maybe both.

Bryan Olson

Jay wrote:
> Found an article that explains perspective better than I've seen

anywhere:

> http://www.photocamel.com/index.php/topic,2197.0.html

The best I've seen remains chapter one, "Perspective", of Rudolf
Kingslake's /Optics in Photography/. One point he makes is that
a photograph has a "center of perspective". Correct perspective
requires viewing the photograph from this point,

so that the angles subtended at the eye by the various
images in the picture will be the same as the subtense
angles of the original objects at the camera lens.

The distortion we observe in wide-angle photographs is due to
viewing them from well behind their center of perspective. The
distance-compression of long-focus lenses, we perceive because
we view the photographs from closer in.

--
--Bryan

Chris Brown

In article <rgrWe.1242$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Bryan Olson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Jay wrote:
> > Found an article that explains perspective better than I've seen

>anywhere:
> >
> > http://www.photocamel.com/index.php/topic,2197.0.html

>The best I've seen remains chapter one, "Perspective", of Rudolf
>Kingslake's /Optics in Photography/. One point he makes is that
>a photograph has a "center of perspective". Correct perspective
>requires viewing the photograph from this point,

I've seen this referred to as the "station point", but not the "centre of
perspective" before.

>The distortion we observe in wide-angle photographs is due to
>viewing them from well behind their center of perspective. The
>distance-compression of long-focus lenses, we perceive because
>we view the photographs from closer in.

Indeed. Perhaps a good way to think about it is to imagine the photograph is
stuck on a pane of glass in front of the original scene. The station point
is where you'd have to stand in order to make the edges of the photo line up
with the objects in the real scene that you can see through the glass.

kashe@sonic.net

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 22:31:06 GMT, "Dirty Harry" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>members only

Not.