Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Minolta Dimage scan dual

Minolta Dimage scan dual

Doug Cunningly

I bought one of these used.

It's operational, but there doesn't seem to be any software for it other than
the TWAIN drivers. It's supposed to be able to scan 2 slides or 3 negatives
in one shot, but when I tried importing through photoshop, there was only an
option for one picture at a time.

Is there any Minolta or other software that will just process all the
negatives/slides in one shot?

Thanks, Doug

Malcolm Stewart

"Doug Cunningly" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns96D19BA072009lokivalhallaorg@207.217.125.2 01...
> I bought one of these used.
>
> It's operational, but there doesn't seem to be any software for it other

than
> the TWAIN drivers. It's supposed to be able to scan 2 slides or 3

negatives
> in one shot, but when I tried importing through photoshop, there was only

an
> option for one picture at a time.
> Is there any Minolta or other software that will just process all the
> negatives/slides in one shot?
> Thanks, Doug

I've had one of these from new, and although I've scanned hundreds of
slides, can not recall any option to scan more than 1 slide or negative at
one time - unless half-frame negatives(<g>).
Years ago, I downloaded updated software from the Minolta website - no idea
whether it's still available.
--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

Doug Cunningly

"Malcolm Stewart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:dg9trh$ftk$(E-Mail Removed):

> "Doug Cunningly" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Xns96D19BA072009lokivalhallaorg@207.217.125.2 01...
>> I bought one of these used.
>>
>> It's operational, but there doesn't seem to be any software for it other

> than
>> the TWAIN drivers. It's supposed to be able to scan 2 slides or 3

> negatives
>> in one shot, but when I tried importing through photoshop, there was only

> an
>> option for one picture at a time.
>> Is there any Minolta or other software that will just process all the
>> negatives/slides in one shot?
>> Thanks, Doug

> I've had one of these from new, and although I've scanned hundreds of
> slides, can not recall any option to scan more than 1 slide or negative at
> one time - unless half-frame negatives(<g>).
> Years ago, I downloaded updated software from the Minolta website - no idea
> whether it's still available.

Apparently it's the Dual II and Multi models that can read more than one
negative. Although it says the APS lets you use an index to know which photo
you're scanning.

Thanks, Doug

Malcolm Stewart

I assume you've got a SCSI card in your PC?
I found that using a fast SCSI card (i.e. faster than the Minolta specified
one) speeded scanning times quite a bit with no other changes to hardware.

--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

Doug Cunningly

"Malcolm Stewart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:dgbaco$c9l$(E-Mail Removed):

> I assume you've got a SCSI card in your PC?
> I found that using a fast SCSI card (i.e. faster than the Minolta specified
> one) speeded scanning times quite a bit with no other changes to hardware.

No, I have an adaptec SCSI in there and it's scanning fine. It scans in about
45 seconds, no faster or slower when scanning a b&w 8Meg negative or a color
slide at 24 Meg.

There doesn't seem to be any Minolta software that will scan and immediately
save the file, like there was in the old Polaroid scanner that I had. I need
to use Photoshop or some other program to acquire the file, but it doesn't
save directly. I don't know if Photoshop loses any detail in its processing,
but would rather go direct and then deal with photoshop later if necessary.

news:Xns96D26D8EB9FD8lokivalhallaorg@207.217.125.2 01...

> There doesn't seem to be any Minolta software that will scan and

immediately
> save the file, like there was in the old Polaroid scanner that I had. I

need
> to use Photoshop or some other program to acquire the file, but it doesn't
> save directly. I don't know if Photoshop loses any detail in its

processing,
> but would rather go direct and then deal with photoshop later if

necessary.

Yes, that's how it works, via Photoshop where you can save as psd or jpg
etc.
You'll soon clutter your hard drive... Good luck.
I've used a batch converter (Irfanview) to go from psd to jpg so that I can
view my (not in a 1000 years) masterpieces in a slideshow format, along with
jpegs from other sources.
--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

Doug Cunningly

"Malcolm Stewart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:dgc9q6$p9e$(E-Mail Removed):

> Yes, that's how it works, via Photoshop where you can save as psd or jpg
> etc.
> You'll soon clutter your hard drive... Good luck.
> I've used a batch converter (Irfanview) to go from psd to jpg so that I
> can view my (not in a 1000 years) masterpieces in a slideshow format,
> along with jpegs from other sources.
> --
> M Stewart
> Milton Keynes, UK
> http://www.megalith.freeserve.co.uk/oddimage.htm

Thanks for the advice. It's doing fine so far on my vintage 70s / 80s
black and white negatives. Doug