Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Notice something interesting about Sony R1?

Notice something interesting about Sony R1?

Rich

The lens on it isn't much larger than the one on the
828 which has a much smaller sensor.
Is it about time that DSLR producers of 1.5x cameras
stopped using clunky old second-rate 35mm legacy lenses
and STARTED using digitally-dedicated lenses that could
conceivably be much smaller??
-Rich

l e o

Rich wrote:
> The lens on it isn't much larger than the one on the
> 828 which has a much smaller sensor.
> Is it about time that DSLR producers of 1.5x cameras
> stopped using clunky old second-rate 35mm legacy lenses
> and STARTED using digitally-dedicated lenses that could
> conceivably be much smaller??
> -Rich

I wish there is a way to eliminate this troll premanantly.
The answer is DX. If you want to make it even smaller and can put in an
F-type mount, register your patent and sell it to Nikon.

Roy

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The lens on it isn't much larger than the one on the
> 828 which has a much smaller sensor.
> Is it about time that DSLR producers of 1.5x cameras
> stopped using clunky old second-rate 35mm legacy lenses
> and STARTED using digitally-dedicated lenses that could
> conceivably be much smaller??
> -Rich

Have you noticed that there are still a fair number of people using 35mm
film SLRs. Some also have DSLRs. They often tend to have a fair range of
lenses, and those designed for Film, can be used on Digital.

But the Digital-dedicated lenses don't work on film.

So the Digital-only lenses on the market are mostly Wide to Standard Angle,
because Film lenses don't give Wide angle on digital.

With Tele lenses both camera types can use them successfully.

So why would the makers spend lots of money on producing an additional lens
type which can only be of use on one Camera type.

Roy G

John A. Stovall

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 21:35:07 GMT, "Roy"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Rich" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> The lens on it isn't much larger than the one on the
>> 828 which has a much smaller sensor.
>> Is it about time that DSLR producers of 1.5x cameras
>> stopped using clunky old second-rate 35mm legacy lenses
>> and STARTED using digitally-dedicated lenses that could
>> conceivably be much smaller??
>> -Rich

>Have you noticed that there are still a fair number of people using 35mm
>film SLRs. Some also have DSLRs. They often tend to have a fair range of
>lenses, and those designed for Film, can be used on Digital.
>
>But the Digital-dedicated lenses don't work on film.
>
>So the Digital-only lenses on the market are mostly Wide to Standard Angle,
>because Film lenses don't give Wide angle on digital.

Oh, that's strange as Zeiss 18mm and 21mm Distagons work very well on
Canon 1DsMkII's. But we are talking about a full format (35mm) sensor
here.

"The booksellers are generous liberal-minded men."

Samuel Johnson
"Life of Johnson" (J. Boswell), Vol. I, 1756

Alfred Molon

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Rich says...
> The lens on it isn't much larger than the one on the
> 828 which has a much smaller sensor.

But the lens of the 828 is F2-2.4, vs. F2.8-4.8 for the R1. And the zoom
range is bigger.
--

Alfred Molon

Leonard

Rich wrote:

> The lens on it isn't much larger than the one on the
> 828 which has a much smaller sensor.

And on the other hand it _is_ much larger than the lens
on my Rollei B35 which has a larger sensor again. Odd, that.

- Len

Digital Photography Now

And although I didn't have the chance to compare side by side, in my hands
the R1's lens seems detectably larger in diameter than the F-828's. The
whole camera feels very bulky.

More comment and pictures from the launch event are at:

http://dpnow.com/2113.html

Ian

Digital Photography Now
http://dpnow.com

news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Rich says...
>> The lens on it isn't much larger than the one on the
>> 828 which has a much smaller sensor.

> But the lens of the 828 is F2-2.4, vs. F2.8-4.8 for the R1. And the zoom
> range is bigger.
> --
>
> Alfred Molon

Beach Bum

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The lens on it isn't much larger than the one on the
> 828 which has a much smaller sensor.
> Is it about time that DSLR producers of 1.5x cameras
> stopped using clunky old second-rate 35mm legacy lenses
> and STARTED using digitally-dedicated lenses that could
> conceivably be much smaller??

No, it's about time they make full sized square sensors and stop the stupid
cropping game.

--
Mark

Photos, Ideas & Opinions
http://www.marklauter.com

BC

"No, it's about time they make full sized square sensors and stop the
stupid
cropping game."

What are the dimensions of a "full sized square sensor"??? (30.6 x
30.6mm ?)

Rich

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 23:50:51 GMT, "Beach Bum"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Rich" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> The lens on it isn't much larger than the one on the
>> 828 which has a much smaller sensor.
>> Is it about time that DSLR producers of 1.5x cameras
>> stopped using clunky old second-rate 35mm legacy lenses
>> and STARTED using digitally-dedicated lenses that could
>> conceivably be much smaller??

>No, it's about time they make full sized square sensors and stop the stupid
>cropping game.

Good point. They do, if you can afford a Hasselblad, Phase One, etc.
-Rich