Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Which would you choose?

Which would you choose?

sandy

I'm finally going to buy a digital camera. The ads in today's paper
show:

1. Fuji A345 (4.1 mp) for $149

2. Kodak Easy Share (4 mp) for $179

3. Olympus IR-300 (including docking cradle) (5 mp) for $149

I'm looking for something simple that can still take good pictures for
Emailing, etc.

Appreciate your opinions on which one (or something else) would be the
best option for me.

Thanks!

Sandy

salgud

sandy wrote:
> I'm finally going to buy a digital camera. The ads in today's paper
> show:
>
> 1. Fuji A345 (4.1 mp) for $149
>
> 2. Kodak Easy Share (4 mp) for $179
>
> 3. Olympus IR-300 (including docking cradle) (5 mp) for $149
>
> I'm looking for something simple that can still take good pictures for
> Emailing, etc.
>
> Appreciate your opinions on which one (or something else) would be the
> best option for me.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Sandy

It's not that simple. You have to decide what your priorities are in
choosing a digital camera. Is picture quality more important to you
than ease of use? Is overall size more important than macro
capabilities? Only you know what features you'll use, and which are
most important. Of those cameras, I'd probably choose the Olympus,
based on personal predjudice, but without actually comparing the
images, I couldn't say.
By the way, if image quality is important to you, you can compare them
online at imageresource.com. I find this very useful to compare cameras
for the things I use them for.
Hope this helps in your world.

salgud

salgud wrote:
> sandy wrote:
> > I'm finally going to buy a digital camera. The ads in today's paper
> > show:
> >
> > 1. Fuji A345 (4.1 mp) for $149
> >
> > 2. Kodak Easy Share (4 mp) for $179
> >
> > 3. Olympus IR-300 (including docking cradle) (5 mp) for $149
> >
> > I'm looking for something simple that can still take good pictures for
> > Emailing, etc.
> >
> > Appreciate your opinions on which one (or something else) would be the
> > best option for me.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Sandy

> It's not that simple. You have to decide what your priorities are in
> choosing a digital camera. Is picture quality more important to you
> than ease of use? Is overall size more important than macro
> capabilities? Only you know what features you'll use, and which are
> most important. Of those cameras, I'd probably choose the Olympus,
> based on personal predjudice, but without actually comparing the
> images, I couldn't say.
> By the way, if image quality is important to you, you can compare them
> online at imageresource.com. I find this very useful to compare cameras
> for the things I use them for.
> Hope this helps in your world.

Correction: imaging-resource.com
the actual comparator is at
http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

Frank ess

salgud wrote:
> sandy wrote:
>> I'm finally going to buy a digital camera. The ads in today's
>> paper
>> show:
>>
>> 1. Fuji A345 (4.1 mp) for $149
>>
>> 2. Kodak Easy Share (4 mp) for $179
>>
>> 3. Olympus IR-300 (including docking cradle) (5 mp) for $149
>>
>> I'm looking for something simple that can still take good pictures
>> for Emailing, etc.
>>
>> Appreciate your opinions on which one (or something else) would be
>> the best option for me.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Sandy

> It's not that simple. You have to decide what your priorities are in
> choosing a digital camera. Is picture quality more important to you
> than ease of use? Is overall size more important than macro
> capabilities? Only you know what features you'll use, and which are
> most important. Of those cameras, I'd probably choose the Olympus,
> based on personal predjudice, but without actually comparing the
> images, I couldn't say.
> By the way, if image quality is important to you, you can compare
> them
> online at imageresource.com. I find this very useful to compare
> cameras for the things I use them for.
> Hope this helps in your world.

I believe it _is_ that simple. Look 'em over in person, grab the one
that rings your bell, and enjoy the products of your efforts.

At the $149-level, there may be differences that are detectible, but
probably not significant. I don't see how you can lose, given the
cameras you name and your intended use.

After a few hundred photos (which you might have missed while barking
up the technical tree), you'll have a much better idea of what kind of
features are important to you, if any beyond what your camera
incorporates.

My first two digitals were under $100, one under $50. They still work
just fine. Look at these (pretty much) unretouched images:
http://www.fototime.com/inv/B95A3C788E2B59F

What better do you need? The five-year newer cameras will undoubtedly
provide it.

--
Frank ess
"In this universe there are things

Mr.Happy

1. Fuji A345 (4.1 mp) for $149

I was looking for this one, or the A340.
However, since they use xD cards which cost twice as much as SD, I went
with the Kodak c330
for $159.

2. Kodak Easy Share (4 mp) for $179

tell 'em Adorama has it for $159.

3. Olympus IR-300 (including docking cradle) (5 mp) for $149

again, xD card, and probably doesnt have optical zoom.

Shawn Hirn

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
"sandy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I'm finally going to buy a digital camera. The ads in today's paper
> show:
>
> 1. Fuji A345 (4.1 mp) for $149
>
> 2. Kodak Easy Share (4 mp) for $179
>
> 3. Olympus IR-300 (including docking cradle) (5 mp) for $149
>
> I'm looking for something simple that can still take good pictures for
> Emailing, etc.
>
> Appreciate your opinions on which one (or something else) would be the
> best option for me.

These days, any digital camera can take photos that are good enough to
send via email. What other criteria are important to you? I suggest you
stop by a good camera store and try out the cameras on your list to see
which ONE you like the most and which model offers the features YOU
think you might benefit from.

Charles Schuler

Sandy, for general shooting and emailing, almost all of them work fine.
Spend some time and go to the retail outlets and handle them. Don't worry
about megapixels, by the way. Pick one that is comfortable in your hands
and seems to be easy to use. Be sure to ask about the manufacturer's
warranty and try to resist buying a "store" warranty.

On the other hand, if you are interested in wildlife or macros or ... , then
your decision will take a little more effort and probably more money.

Ron Hunter

sandy wrote:
> I'm finally going to buy a digital camera. The ads in today's paper
> show:
>
> 1. Fuji A345 (4.1 mp) for $149
>
> 2. Kodak Easy Share (4 mp) for $179
>
> 3. Olympus IR-300 (including docking cradle) (5 mp) for $149
>
> I'm looking for something simple that can still take good pictures for
> Emailing, etc.
>
> Appreciate your opinions on which one (or something else) would be the
> best option for me.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Sandy

Any of them would be suitable for the job, but I would go with the Kodak
for notable ease of use, and generally good pictures with no hassle.
You neglect to mention the Kodak model number, so a direct comparison is
impossible.

--
Ron Hunter http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Ron Hunter

Frank ess wrote:
> salgud wrote:
>> sandy wrote:
>>> I'm finally going to buy a digital camera. The ads in today's paper
>>> show:
>>>
>>> 1. Fuji A345 (4.1 mp) for $149
>>>
>>> 2. Kodak Easy Share (4 mp) for $179
>>>
>>> 3. Olympus IR-300 (including docking cradle) (5 mp) for $149
>>>
>>> I'm looking for something simple that can still take good pictures
>>> for Emailing, etc.
>>>
>>> Appreciate your opinions on which one (or something else) would be
>>> the best option for me.
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> Sandy

>> It's not that simple. You have to decide what your priorities are in
>> choosing a digital camera. Is picture quality more important to you
>> than ease of use? Is overall size more important than macro
>> capabilities? Only you know what features you'll use, and which are
>> most important. Of those cameras, I'd probably choose the Olympus,
>> based on personal predjudice, but without actually comparing the
>> images, I couldn't say.
>> By the way, if image quality is important to you, you can compare them
>> online at imageresource.com. I find this very useful to compare
>> cameras for the things I use them for.
>> Hope this helps in your world.

> I believe it _is_ that simple. Look 'em over in person, grab the one
> that rings your bell, and enjoy the products of your efforts.
>
> At the $149-level, there may be differences that are detectible, but
> probably not significant. I don't see how you can lose, given the
> cameras you name and your intended use.
>
> After a few hundred photos (which you might have missed while barking up
> the technical tree), you'll have a much better idea of what kind of
> features are important to you, if any beyond what your camera incorporates.
>
> My first two digitals were under $100, one under $50. They still work
> just fine. Look at these (pretty much) unretouched images:
> http://www.fototime.com/inv/B95A3C788E2B59F
>
> What better do you need? The five-year newer cameras will undoubtedly
> provide it.
>
> --
> Frank ess
> "In this universe there are things
> that just don't yield to thinking-plain or fancy-Dude".
> -J. Spicoli, PolyPartyPerson

Picture 4 seems to have a bit overstated red response, or did you do
that on purpose.

--
Ron Hunter (E-Mail Removed)

kashe@sonic.net

On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 14:18:48 -0400, Shawn Hirn <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
> "sandy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I'm finally going to buy a digital camera. The ads in today's paper
>> show:
>>
>> 1. Fuji A345 (4.1 mp) for $149
>>
>> 2. Kodak Easy Share (4 mp) for $179
>>
>> 3. Olympus IR-300 (including docking cradle) (5 mp) for $149
>>
>> I'm looking for something simple that can still take good pictures for
>> Emailing, etc.
>>
>> Appreciate your opinions on which one (or something else) would be the
>> best option for me.

>These days, any digital camera can take photos that are good enough to
>send via email. What other criteria are important to you? I suggest you
>stop by a good camera store and try out the cameras on your list to see
>which ONE you like the most and which model offers the features YOU
>think you might benefit from.

Also, since low cost appears to be a factor here, check out
what size of memory comes with each choice. A few years back, I bought
a camera which came with an 8MB CF card. Since it held fewer shos than
all but the smallest film roll, I had to upgrade in short order to a
128MB card, which was, at the time, about 16% of the entire camera
cost.

I've since also picked up larger cards so as to have a spare
and only use the original 8MB card for when I want to toss a large PDF
file into my pocket for printing at Kinko's.