Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Nikkor 60mm Micro and D70?

Reply
Thread Tools

Nikkor 60mm Micro and D70?

 
 
Thomas T. Veldhouse
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-01-2005
I am looking at getting the Nikkor 60mm Micro lens, but I want to be
sure I won't have issues with sensor reflection and this lens. Any
experience out there with this combination? 60mm seems sufficiently
long to avoid this problem, but I thought I should check before making
this purchase.

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse
Key Fingerprint: 2DB9 813F F510 82C2 E1AE 34D0 D69D 1EDC D5EC AED1
Spammers please contact me at http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed).

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
[BnH]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-01-2005
Use it with D1H and S2 Pro , no problems at all.

=bob=

"Thomas T. Veldhouse" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4316f22d$0$63620$(E-Mail Removed). net...
>I am looking at getting the Nikkor 60mm Micro lens, but I want to be
> sure I won't have issues with sensor reflection and this lens. Any
> experience out there with this combination? 60mm seems sufficiently
> long to avoid this problem, but I thought I should check before making
> this purchase.



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Sharp
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-01-2005
On Thu, 1 Sep 2005 22:29:56 +1000, "[BnH]" <b18[at]ii[dot]net> wrote:

>Use it with D1H and S2 Pro , no problems at all.
>
>=bob=
>
>"Thomas T. Veldhouse" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:4316f22d$0$63620$(E-Mail Removed) .net...
>>I am looking at getting the Nikkor 60mm Micro lens, but I want to be
>> sure I won't have issues with sensor reflection and this lens. Any
>> experience out there with this combination? 60mm seems sufficiently
>> long to avoid this problem, but I thought I should check before making
>> this purchase.

>

Also works wonderefully well with my D100
 
Reply With Quote
 
Thomas T. Veldhouse
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-01-2005
Sharp <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

> Also works wonderefully well with my D100


Probably the best proof for me, as I have a D70, which is very similar.

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse
Key Fingerprint: 2DB9 813F F510 82C2 E1AE 34D0 D69D 1EDC D5EC AED1
Spammers please contact me at (E-Mail Removed).

 
Reply With Quote
 
Charlie Choc
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-01-2005
On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 09:48:55 -0500, Sharp <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Thu, 1 Sep 2005 22:29:56 +1000, "[BnH]" <b18[at]ii[dot]net> wrote:
>
>>Use it with D1H and S2 Pro , no problems at all.
>>
>>=bob=
>>
>>"Thomas T. Veldhouse" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:4316f22d$0$63620$(E-Mail Removed) e.net...
>>>I am looking at getting the Nikkor 60mm Micro lens, but I want to be
>>> sure I won't have issues with sensor reflection and this lens. Any
>>> experience out there with this combination? 60mm seems sufficiently
>>> long to avoid this problem, but I thought I should check before making
>>> this purchase.

>>

>Also works wonderefully well with my D100


Ditto on my D100. It's a great lens.
--
Charlie...
http://www.chocphoto.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
Deedee Tee
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-02-2005
On 01 Sep 2005 12:21:01 GMT, "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I am looking at getting the Nikkor 60mm Micro lens, but I want to be
>sure I won't have issues with sensor reflection and this lens. Any
>experience out there with this combination? 60mm seems sufficiently
>long to avoid this problem, but I thought I should check before making
>this purchase.


I bought it a few months ago for my D70s (I believe it has the same
sensor chip as the D70). I have taken several hundred macro shots for
scientific use, with no visible problems. It is a sharp lens for
repro, close-up and macro, if you don't close the diaphragm too much
(and if you do, you have to blame quantum mechanics, not this lens).
The only potential problem is the rather short working distance at
high magnification, which is why I also have a Sigma 180 f/3.5 Apo
Macro. As macro lenses go, the Nikkor Micro 60 is also cheap.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Thomas T. Veldhouse
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-02-2005
Deedee Tee <abuse@localhost> wrote:
>
> I bought it a few months ago for my D70s (I believe it has the same
> sensor chip as the D70). I have taken several hundred macro shots for
> scientific use, with no visible problems. It is a sharp lens for
> repro, close-up and macro, if you don't close the diaphragm too much
> (and if you do, you have to blame quantum mechanics, not this lens).
> The only potential problem is the rather short working distance at
> high magnification, which is why I also have a Sigma 180 f/3.5 Apo
> Macro. As macro lenses go, the Nikkor Micro 60 is also cheap.


Thanks. I just made the purchase and look forward to having the time to
play with this lens and compose some pictures.

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse
Key Fingerprint: 2DB9 813F F510 82C2 E1AE 34D0 D69D 1EDC D5EC AED1
Spammers please contact me at (E-Mail Removed).

 
Reply With Quote
 
John Denk
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-02-2005
On Friday Septembr 2, 2005, DeeDee Tee wrote:

>It is a sharp lens for repro, close-up and
> macro, if you don't close the diaphragm
> too much (and if you do, you have to
> blame quantum mechanics, not this
> lens).


Really? Why is that? I use this lens on my D70, often at f22 or even
smaller apertures and can't say that I've seen a problem.

What happens at small apertures? Obviously, I am not up on quantum
mechanics.

TIA,
John

 
Reply With Quote
 
Mike Warren
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-02-2005
John Denk wrote:
> On Friday Septembr 2, 2005, DeeDee Tee wrote:
>
>> It is a sharp lens for repro, close-up and
>> macro, if you don't close the diaphragm
>> too much (and if you do, you have to
>> blame quantum mechanics, not this
>> lens).

>
> Really? Why is that? I use this lens on my D70, often at f22 or even
> smaller apertures and can't say that I've seen a problem.
>
> What happens at small apertures? Obviously, I am not up on quantum
> mechanics.


At very small apertures diffraction comes into play. This is caused
by light rays striking the edge of the diaphragm and creates an overall
reduction in sharpness of the image.

-Mike


 
Reply With Quote
 
Deedee Tee
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-03-2005
On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 17:42:02 -0500, (E-Mail Removed) (John Denk) wrote:

>On Friday Septembr 2, 2005, DeeDee Tee wrote:
>
>>It is a sharp lens for repro, close-up and
>> macro, if you don't close the diaphragm
>> too much (and if you do, you have to
>> blame quantum mechanics, not this
>> lens).

>
>Really? Why is that? I use this lens on my D70, often at f22 or even
>smaller apertures and can't say that I've seen a problem.
>
>What happens at small apertures? Obviously, I am not up on quantum
>mechanics.
>
> TIA,
> John


As another poster just mentioned, diffraction makes the picture less
sharp. Photons passing close to the edge of the diaphragm do not
travel on a straight line (this is where quantum mechanics comes into
play). At small diaphragm apertures, the open area of the diaphragm
(where photons travel on a straight path) is proportionally smaller
than the perimeter of the diaphragm (where photons do not), so
diffraction is more important at small apertures (high f values). In
poorly or cheaply designed lenses, closing the diaphragm reduces some
of the uncorrected aberrations (which usually are highest around the
edges of the lenses), so the loss of sharpness due to diffraction is
offset by this positive effect, except at very small diaphragm
apertures. In a lens designed for minimal aberrations and capable of
very small diaphragm settings (macro lenses are), diffraction is more
important.

If you take a test shot of a rather flat but detailed subject (in best
conditions, i.e., steady tripod and subject, precise focusing, no
thermal air currents) you should be able to see more fine detail
around f/5.6 to f/8 than at f/32. This is especially true at high
magnification, where the effective f value is higher than the nominal
value shown on the lens barrel.

Whether you should use a low or high f value depends on the subject
and the amount of depth of field you want to obtain, but if you shoot
a flat or shallow subject at high f you will loose fine detail without
gaining anything else.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nikon Micro Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 VR vs. Micro Nikkor 105mm f/2.8D =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?= Digital Photography 3 06-25-2006 01:43 PM
Nikon AF Micro Nikkor 60mm f2.8 Joe Digital Photography 5 12-13-2005 08:17 PM
Micro Nikkor AF 60mm vs 105mm (D70) Ken Tough Digital Photography 22 03-29-2005 12:37 PM
Please help identify this Nikkor Lens (AF Nikkor 35-105mm 1:3.5-4.5mm) GTABuySell Digital Photography 5 06-07-2004 04:39 PM
Is there a Nikon 2x teleconverter that will AF with D100 and Nikkor 60mm 2.8?? nick Digital Photography 3 11-30-2003 06:42 PM



Advertisments