Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon PowerShot A610,A620

Canon PowerShot A610,A620

No-Student

Hello,

I am looking for manual for Canon PowerShot A610 and Canon PowerShot A620.
I have not found it on manufacturer's internet page.
I tried to find it using www.google.com but all pages which I had found only
include short description about these cameras.

M.Cz

bugbear

No-Student wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am looking for manual for Canon PowerShot A610 and Canon PowerShot A620.
> I have not found it on manufacturer's internet page.
> I tried to find it using www.google.com but all pages which I had found only
> include short description about these cameras.

That may be a regional branding; it certainly doesn't appear here:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/
which is normaly comprehensive

BugBear

ASAAR

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 16:03:44 +0100, bugbear wrote:

>> I am looking for manual for Canon PowerShot A610
>> and Canon PowerShot A620.

> That may be a regional branding; it certainly doesn't appear here:
> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/
> which is normaly comprehensive

I think that they appeared in one of dpreview's news items, and
probably with a manufacturer's press release. They were only
announced and are not yet available (at least in the USA). They're
essentially replacements for the A510 and A520, with the most
significant change being a reversion from 2AA to 4 AA batteries.
This supposedly will allow for faster focusing, especially in low
light, where the A5xx models might not have had enough light to
focus at all.

bugbear

ASAAR wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 16:03:44 +0100, bugbear wrote:
>

>>>I am looking for manual for Canon PowerShot A610
>>>and Canon PowerShot A620.

>>That may be a regional branding; it certainly doesn't appear here:
>>http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/
>>which is normaly comprehensive

> I think that they appeared in one of dpreview's news items,

Ah. Got 'em.
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0508/05...ona610a620.asp

> and
> probably with a manufacturer's press release. They were only
> announced and are not yet available (at least in the USA). They're
> essentially replacements for the A510 and A520,

A95, it says on the press release.

BugBear

Mark B.

"No-Student" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:df4ef8$oh7$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> I am looking for manual for Canon PowerShot A610 and Canon PowerShot A620.
> I have not found it on manufacturer's internet page.
> I tried to find it using www.google.com but all pages which I had found
> only
> include short description about these cameras.
>

> M.Cz

October 10 according to Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...onics&n=507846

Cathy

"bugbear" <bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote in message
news:4316b9db$0$22905$(E-Mail Removed)...
> ASAAR wrote:

> >>That may be a regional branding; it certainly doesn't appear here:
> >>http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/
> >>which is normaly comprehensive

> > I think that they appeared in one of dpreview's news items,

> Ah. Got 'em.
> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0508/05...ona610a620.asp
>
> > and
> > probably with a manufacturer's press release. They were only
> > announced and are not yet available (at least in the USA). They're
> > essentially replacements for the A510 and A520,

I thought Canon supposedly brought out the A510 and A520 which used 2
AA's, because many people complained about A75, A85,A95 needing 4
batteries which was more inconvenient for weight and needing 4
batteries. I was interested in the A510 and A520 at first when they came
out, till I read some reviews which said they had some problems in low
light situations, and also because I wanted a 2" LCD. So I guess Canon
has solved the low light by having to use 4 batteries in the A610 and
A620. Not many point and shoot cameras take 4 AA batteries do they? I
might be interested in the Sony W5 which seems to have quite good
reviews and it only takes 2 AA batteries. I don't think I would buy a
point and shoot camera with 4 batteries. Makes the camera
too heavy.

Cathy

ASAAR

On Thu, 1 Sep 2005 14:27:55 -0400, Cathy wrote:

> I was interested in the A510 and A520 at first when they came
> out, till I read some reviews which said they had some problems in low
> light situations, and also because I wanted a 2" LCD. So I guess Canon
> has solved the low light by having to use 4 batteries in the A610 and
> A620. Not many point and shoot cameras take 4 AA batteries do they? I
> might be interested in the Sony W5 which seems to have quite good
> reviews and it only takes 2 AA batteries. I don't think I would buy a
> point and shoot camera with 4 batteries. Makes the camera
> too heavy.

Mine takes 4 AAs. (The little Fuji that looks like a DSLR,
remember?) I don't know the Sony W5's characteristics but would
guess that it focuses better than the A510 and A520. That Canon
would revert to 4AAs is almost certainly not to increase the number
of shots, but to get a higher voltage. This should allow the motors
that focus and zoom to operate quicker, enable the flash capacitors
to recharge quicker (shorter wait between shots) and help low-light
focusing, perhaps by having a brighter focusing lamp. If you have a
good enough local store and wait long enough (before buying a
camera) for the A610 or A620 to be released, it might be worthwhile
trying them out in the store to compare their focusing performance.
Based on what I've read in messages concerning other Sony cameras
though, the W5 probably focuses better than most of its peers.
Lastly, assuming that you have muscles capable of toting a camera
with 2 AA's whether alkaline or NiMH, you'd also be strong enough to
carry a similar sized camera loaded with 4 lithium AAs, and you
might not have to replace them until 2008.

Cathy

"ASAAR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 1 Sep 2005 14:27:55 -0400, Cathy wrote:
>
> > I was interested in the A510 and A520 at first when they came
> > out, till I read some reviews which said they had some problems in

low
> > light situations, and also because I wanted a 2" LCD. So I guess

Canon
> > has solved the low light by having to use 4 batteries in the A610

and
> > A620. Not many point and shoot cameras take 4 AA batteries do they?

> > might be interested in the Sony W5 which seems to have quite good
> > reviews and it only takes 2 AA batteries. I don't think I would buy

> > point and shoot camera with 4 batteries. Makes the camera
> > too heavy.

> Mine takes 4 AAs. (The little Fuji that looks like a DSLR,
> remember?) I don't know the Sony W5's characteristics but would
> guess that it focuses better than the A510 and A520.

Probably.

That Canon
> would revert to 4AAs is almost certainly not to increase the number
> of shots, but to get a higher voltage. This should allow the motors
> that focus and zoom to operate quicker, enable the flash capacitors
> to recharge quicker (shorter wait between shots) and help low-light
> focusing, perhaps by having a brighter focusing lamp.

Why can other cameras such as the W5 also with two batteries (according
to some reviews, take better pictures and perform better in low light
than the A510 and A520)

If you have a
> good enough local store and wait long enough (before buying a
> camera) for the A610 or A620 to be released, it might be worthwhile
> trying them out in the store to compare their focusing performance.

Depends on the price too. I have one Best Buy store near me, but they
don't have the best variety in digital cameras. Future Shop has more
variety (they are owned by Best Buy) and are a similar type store, but
have their own products which they've always had before Best Buy bought
them a few years ago. They also have better sale prices than Best Buy.
There is also another chain store which mainly sells cameras and
sometimes they have good sales. Sometimes the sales are only on for a
couple of days so you have to move if you want one. Because the A610 and
A620 are new on the market in the US, they will cost a lot more when
they come here, and the A610 is going to be around $399.99 US in the US.
so could be $500.00 Can. here. Also, new cameras just out are not in all
camera stores here. I'd like to see them when they come out though.

The Sony W5 was on sale here a month or two back and was $350.00 Can. I
had too many other things to pay at the time, so didn't look into it too
much. But it might come up again.

> Based on what I've read in messages concerning other Sony cameras
> though, the W5 probably focuses better than most of its peers.
> Lastly, assuming that you have muscles capable of toting a camera
> with 2 AA's whether alkaline or NiMH, you'd also be strong enough to
> carry a similar sized camera loaded with 4 lithium AAs, and you
> might not have to replace them until 2008.

Well, by the time the A610 or A620 come down in price and I have the
money, I will be too weak to carry cameras even with lithium ions

Cathy

ASAAR

On Thu, 1 Sep 2005 18:23:21 -0400, Cathy wrote:

>> That Canon
>> would revert to 4AAs is almost certainly not to increase the number
>> of shots, but to get a higher voltage. This should allow the motors
>> that focus and zoom to operate quicker, enable the flash capacitors
>> to recharge quicker (shorter wait between shots) and help low-light
>> focusing, perhaps by having a brighter focusing lamp.

> Why can other cameras such as the W5 also with two batteries (according
> to some reviews, take better pictures and perform better in low light
> than the A510 and A520)

Sheesh, that's like asking why a Sunbeam mixer doesn't perform as
well as those made by Kitchen-Aid or one of the smaller Hobarts.
After all, they're all powered by 120v A.C. I could understand you
asking that if all cameras shared a common set of parts, but they
don't. Motors differ, sensors differ, and it's not just mechanical.
Software/firmware controls everything, including how the camera
focuses. Whether the camera shines or performs like a dog can even
come down to the talent of the programmers used to write the
software used by the camera.

> Because the A610 and A620 are new on the market in the US, they will
> cost a lot more when they come here, and the A610 is going to be around
> $399.99 US in the US. so could be $500.00 Can. here. Also, new cameras
> just out are not in all camera stores here. I'd like to see them when they
> come out though.

There's no need to buy an A620 or some other new, expensive model,
but there's value in trying all kinds of cameras, including those
above and below your price range. You learn things, such as how
little shutter lag a well designed camera might have, or how quickly
its focus locks in. You might decide the A620 is too expensive, but
it performs so much better than an A520 or W5 that you decide it's
worth waiting another 3 to 5 months for the price to drop. Or you
might find that the difference between the A620 and the W5 is so
slight that you'll get the W5 immediately. Well informed buyers
tend to be more satisfied owners that impulse buyers. Holding the
cameras in your own hands and trying them out can teach you more
than many hours of reading online reviews.

> The Sony W5 was on sale here a month or two back and was $350.00 Can.
> I had too many other things to pay at the time, so didn't look into it too
> much. But it might come up again.

Since a bunch of new cameras appear to be waiting in the wings, I
predict that the next time the W5 is on sale it will be for under
$320. Can. In other words, worth the wait.

>> Based on what I've read in messages concerning other Sony cameras
>> though, the W5 probably focuses better than most of its peers.
>> Lastly, assuming that you have muscles capable of toting a camera
>> with 2 AA's whether alkaline or NiMH, you'd also be strong enough to
>> carry a similar sized camera loaded with 4 lithium AAs, and you
>> might not have to replace them until 2008.

> Well, by the time the A610 or A620 come down in price and I have the
> money, I will be too weak to carry cameras even with lithium ions

Prepare yourself. Drink Ovaltine. Eat Wonder Bread. Rally!!!

Cathy

"ASAAR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 1 Sep 2005 18:23:21 -0400, Cathy wrote:
>
> >> That Canon
> >> would revert to 4AAs is almost certainly not to increase the number
> >> of shots, but to get a higher voltage. This should allow the

motors
> >> that focus and zoom to operate quicker, enable the flash capacitors
> >> to recharge quicker (shorter wait between shots) and help low-light
> >> focusing, perhaps by having a brighter focusing lamp.

> > Why can other cameras such as the W5 also with two batteries

(according
> > to some reviews, take better pictures and perform better in low

light
> > than the A510 and A520)

> Sheesh, that's like asking why a Sunbeam mixer doesn't perform as
> well as those made by Kitchen-Aid or one of the smaller Hobarts.
> After all, they're all powered by 120v A.C. I could understand you
> asking that if all cameras shared a common set of parts, but they
> don't. Motors differ, sensors differ, and it's not just mechanical.
> Software/firmware controls everything, including how the camera
> focuses. Whether the camera shines or performs like a dog can even
> come down to the talent of the programmers used to write the
> software used by the camera.

The question seemed simple, but obviously the answer isn't.

> > Because the A610 and A620 are new on the market in the US, they will
> > cost a lot more when they come here, and the A610 is going to be

around
> > $399.99 US in the US. so could be $500.00 Can. here. Also, new

cameras
> > just out are not in all camera stores here. I'd like to see them

when they
> > come out though.

> There's no need to buy an A620 or some other new, expensive model,
> but there's value in trying all kinds of cameras, including those
> above and below your price range. You learn things, such as how
> little shutter lag a well designed camera might have, or how quickly
> its focus locks in. You might decide the A620 is too expensive, but
> it performs so much better than an A520 or W5 that you decide it's
> worth waiting another 3 to 5 months for the price to drop. Or you
> might find that the difference between the A620 and the W5 is so
> slight that you'll get the W5 immediately. Well informed buyers
> tend to be more satisfied owners that impulse buyers. Holding the
> cameras in your own hands and trying them out can teach you more
> than many hours of reading online reviews.

Actually, I saw the A610 and A620 on a camera site where the store is
near where I live. This is a store that only sells cameras and nothing
else and seems to get newer cameras and other stores don't always get
the same cameras, BUT their prices for all cameras are higher than
other stores.
The A610 is selling here for $449.99 Can. which is $380.00 US but top
price that I saw in the US was $299.99 US, which is $355.00 Can. So you
can see we would pay about $100.00 Can. more plus we pay 15% tax and I
am sure none of your states charge 15% tax. We don't pay 15% tax on all
products, (no tax on food) but on most things.
The A620 is selling for $550.00 Can. which is $464.00 US and is selling
in the US for $399.99 which is $474.00 Can. So you can see in new
cameras first on the market, there is a huge gap in US and Can. prices
for the same thing. The only digital cameras which seem to be similar
prices when new is HP. The biggest difference in price seems to be
Canons. I notice the Canon A510 and A520 are coming down a bit in price
here in the last couple of months.

> > The Sony W5 was on sale here a month or two back and was $350.00

Can.
> > I had too many other things to pay at the time, so didn't look into

it too
> > much. But it might come up again.

> Since a bunch of new cameras appear to be waiting in the wings, I
> predict that the next time the W5 is on sale it will be for under
> $320. Can. In other words, worth the wait.

That could be but it could be a while. New Sonys would probably have to
come out. The Sony W7
out not that long ago. If new ones come on the market, the price of the
W5 could come down.

> >> Based on what I've read in messages concerning other Sony cameras
> >> though, the W5 probably focuses better than most of its peers.
> >> Lastly, assuming that you have muscles capable of toting a camera
> >> with 2 AA's whether alkaline or NiMH, you'd also be strong enough

> >> carry a similar sized camera loaded with 4 lithium AAs, and you
> >> might not have to replace them until 2008.

> > Well, by the time the A610 or A620 come down in price and I have the
> > money, I will be too weak to carry cameras even with lithium ions

> Prepare yourself. Drink Ovaltine. Eat Wonder Bread. Rally!!!

I'll start body building and join a gym and lift weights and eat
Wheaties right away. Or get an assistant to carry the camera for me.
Ovaltine wouldn't help much.

Cathy