Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > wireless network v. slow

wireless network v. slow

=?Utf-8?B?a2V0?=

I have a problem with speed on a wireless network. Network consists of D-Link
DSL-604+ ADSL/Router, DWL-520+ (desktop PCI) & 2xDWL-650+ (laptop). Distance
no more than 15m, no walls in between. Desktop is W2K, laptops both XP.
Wireless configured to channel 8 due to a second wireless LAN in office on
channel 3. Signal Strength & Quality around 80-85% consistently, speed
22Mbps. ADSL connection is OK, although I just heard that one of the laptops
could not connect to the Internet until the desktop was turned on (?). WEP
is disabled, using MAC address filtering, DHCP from router, NettBIOS over TCP
enabled on all 3 PCs. The W2K PC shares a couple of folders. Both laptops can
acces the shares but access is so slow as to be useless (minutes to access a
file). Friewalls disabled on PC and laptops. I have checked all the obvious.
I don't think it is the wireless LAN so much as Windows. Any ideas?

=?Utf-8?B?QkFS?=

How many wireless LANs can you 'see'?

It may be an idea to allow access to each AP only by indvidual MAC address
for each Wireless Card.

On the Laptops choose to ignore all other APs.