Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > D70 and D50 Kit Lenses

D70 and D50 Kit Lenses

john_doe_ph_d

Can someone with experience please compare the 18-70 mm D70 kit lens
with the 18-55 mm D50 kit lens, aside from the obvious focal length and
f/no. differences. I'm interested in image quality, AF speed etc. The
former is about 2x the weight of the latter and I'm wondering if
there's something to make it worth lugging around. Thanks.

frederick

john_doe_ph_d wrote:
> Can someone with experience please compare the 18-70 mm D70 kit lens
> with the 18-55 mm D50 kit lens, aside from the obvious focal length and
> f/no. differences. I'm interested in image quality, AF speed etc. The
> former is about 2x the weight of the latter and I'm wondering if
> there's something to make it worth lugging around. Thanks.

Forget about the image quality and you have the following list of
advantages for the 18-70:
*wider zoom range
*faster aperture
*faster AF speed
*proper AF-S action (override AF by moving focus ring)
*internal focus - no rotating from element to annoy you when using
polariser.
*metal mount
*usable MF ring
Divide the extra cost by each extra feature that might be worthwhile to
you and make up your mind.

john_doe_ph_d

Please explain - does "Forget about the image quality" mean that the
image quality is comparable?

Bob

In article <1125358072.81225@ftpsrv1>, frederick <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> john_doe_ph_d wrote:
> > Can someone with experience please compare the 18-70 mm D70 kit lens
> > with the 18-55 mm D50 kit lens, aside from the obvious focal length and
> > f/no. differences. I'm interested in image quality, AF speed etc. The
> > former is about 2x the weight of the latter and I'm wondering if
> > there's something to make it worth lugging around. Thanks.
> >

> Forget about the image quality and you have the following list of
> advantages for the 18-70:
> *wider zoom range
> *faster aperture
> *faster AF speed
> *proper AF-S action (override AF by moving focus ring)
> *internal focus - no rotating from element to annoy you when using
> polariser.
> *metal mount
> *usable MF ring
> Divide the extra cost by each extra feature that might be worthwhile to
> you and make up your mind.

Most comparisons I've seen say the 18-70 is a 'better' lens. But of
course it costs more, so thats what you would expect. Its also bigger
and heavier, so it really depends on what you value the most.

Jim

"john_doe_ph_d" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Can someone with experience please compare the 18-70 mm D70 kit lens
> with the 18-55 mm D50 kit lens, aside from the obvious focal length and
> f/no. differences. I'm interested in image quality, AF speed etc. The
> former is about 2x the weight of the latter and I'm wondering if
> there's something to make it worth lugging around. Thanks.

It isn't that heavy. Just put a 300mm f2.8 on the camera to find what a
heavy lens feels like.
Jim

Roy

"john_doe_ph_d" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Can someone with experience please compare the 18-70 mm D70 kit lens
> with the 18-55 mm D50 kit lens, aside from the obvious focal length and
> f/no. differences. I'm interested in image quality, AF speed etc. The
> former is about 2x the weight of the latter and I'm wondering if
> there's something to make it worth lugging around. Thanks.

Hi.

The 18-70 Nikon lens is anything but a heavy-weight, it is quite suitable
for carrying around all day. It gives a very nicely balanced feel when on
the Camera, which is probably more important than the actual weight of the
combination.

I am considering getting the Nikon 80-400 VR, and that IS a heavy lens.

Roy G

Graybeard

If weight is a problem, get the Nikon 8800. I just returned from a month in
China with an 8800 and took about 2000 pictures with it. I love it. The
lens is stabilized, about 300 mm equivalent, and it has a pivoting LCD
monitor. A $12 converter ring for the front of the lens allows me to use
58mm filters, which can remain on the lens when closed.

And you can buy it for under $600. One BIG drawback - not very good if you
need a w i d e angle lens. It was a gem on the trip, and much more
convenient than carrying my old Nikon 35 mm cameras with several heavy
lenses. True, some of the old lens may be better, but we live in a world of
compromises.

Graybeard
PS: Also carried the old Nikon 4300 in my pocket for backup.

Thomas T. Veldhouse

Bob <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Most comparisons I've seen say the 18-70 is a 'better' lens. But of
> course it costs more, so thats what you would expect. Its also bigger
> and heavier, so it really depends on what you value the most.

It may be bigger and heavier than the 18-55mm lens offering, but it is
by no means a big and/or heavy lens.

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse
Spammers please contact me at http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed).

RichA

On 29 Aug 2005 17:59:21 -0700, "john_doe_ph_d"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Please explain - does "Forget about the image quality" mean that the
>image quality is comparable?

Only to Canon fans. To everyone else, the Canon is the nadir of
lenses. Even Sigma's cheap 18-55 is better. The Nikons are decent
quality (ED glass helps) and they also make a smaller 18-50(5?) mm
that is sold with the D50.
-Rich

"Bittorrents are REFUNDS for all the BAD movie products Hollywood
never gave us refunds for in the past"

Mike Murphree

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On 29 Aug 2005 17:59:21 -0700, "john_doe_ph_d"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Please explain - does "Forget about the image quality" mean that the
> >image quality is comparable?

> Only to Canon fans. To everyone else, the Canon is the nadir of
> lenses. Even Sigma's cheap 18-55 is better. The Nikons are decent
> quality (ED glass helps) and they also make a smaller 18-50(5?) mm
> that is sold with the D50.

The 18-70mm Nikon lens is worth the extra money. I bought the D50,
18-70mm lens, case, extra battery and other extras for a little over
$1000 from Cameta on eBay. No regrets or complaints and it will focus
in total darkness unlike the Oly C8080WZ I tried before...

Mike