Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > What Lenses Will Fit On Canon Digital Rebel and 20D?

What Lenses Will Fit On Canon Digital Rebel and 20D?

Martin

I've had a Canon AE-1 Program film camera since 1984, and over the
years built up a decent collection of lenses and converters. Since
1999, I've migrated to digital, using the Olympus 3000Z. Now I'm
thinking of purchasing a digital SLR, and am leaning toward the Rebel
XT or the 20D.

I'm wondering if any or all of my "manual focus" lens collection can be
used, either straight onto either of the cameras, or by using some sort
of mechanical adapter?

thanks,

Martin

Jim Townsend

Martin wrote:

> I've had a Canon AE-1 Program film camera since 1984, and over the
> years built up a decent collection of lenses and converters. Since
> 1999, I've migrated to digital, using the Olympus 3000Z. Now I'm
> thinking of purchasing a digital SLR, and am leaning toward the Rebel
> XT or the 20D.
>
> I'm wondering if any or all of my "manual focus" lens collection can be
> used, either straight onto either of the cameras, or by using some sort
> of mechanical adapter?

Your AE-1 uses FD lenses. The new EOS digital cameras you're considering
take EF and EF-S lenses.

Your FD lenses won't fit physically. The mount is different. There are
FD to EF adapters available, but the lens will have no automatic functions.
Aperture and focus will be fully manual.

One problem with adding an FD to EF adapter is that it moves the lens away
from the sensor. Because of this, some of your lenses, may not be able to
focus to infinity.

John A. Stovall

On 29 Aug 2005 08:54:21 -0700, "Martin" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I've had a Canon AE-1 Program film camera since 1984, and over the
>years built up a decent collection of lenses and converters. Since
>1999, I've migrated to digital, using the Olympus 3000Z. Now I'm
>thinking of purchasing a digital SLR, and am leaning toward the Rebel
>XT or the 20D.
>
>I'm wondering if any or all of my "manual focus" lens collection can be
>used, either straight onto either of the cameras, or by using some sort
>of mechanical adapter?

I suggest you read these:

http://photonotes.org/articles/beginner-faq/lenses.html

http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-manual-lenses/

-James Nachtwey-
http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/

Martin

Thanks for the quick reply. I didn't realize that a mechanical adapter
would fail to couple the aperture setting. Seems like that would be an
easy thing to accomplish, since teleconverters do it cheaply and well.
I agree focus would, of course, be manual, because the lens was always
manual-focus anyway

I hadn't thought about the focus-at-infinity issue, but it makes sense
because the camera's focal-plane distance would be increased slightly.

Martin

henryp

Hama Lens Mount Adapter - Canon FD & FL Lenses on Canon EOS Bodies
Mfr# HA30845 B&H# HALACFDCAF
<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=89910&is=REG>

This adapter allows for Canon FD and FL type lenses to be mounted onto
a Canon EOS body.

Unlike other simple mount adapters, this is an optical adapter which is
actually at the same time also a short teleconverter, which increases
the focal lenght by a factor of 1.25x, and reduces the lens aperture by
approx. one f/stop. This adapter allows for focusing at infinity.

Henry Posner
B&H Photo-Video, Inc.

Martin

Henry,

I looked at the description at the link you provided, and nothing is
said about whether the mechanical linkage is present to allow the
camera body to set lens aperture. Do you know if this works?
Otherwise, the setup would be reduced to manual exposure only.

Martin

JohnR66

"Martin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Henry,
>
> I looked at the description at the link you provided, and nothing is
> said about whether the mechanical linkage is present to allow the
> camera body to set lens aperture. Do you know if this works?
> Otherwise, the setup would be reduced to manual exposure only.
>
> Martin

It does not. EF lenses are full of electronics that send lens focal length,
aperture and focus distance to the body.
John

Martin

Thanks for all the discussions. I can see that this is not a practical
solution. Even if I got everything coupled up correctly, apparently
the modern digital autofocus bodies have nothing in the viewfinder to
provide feedback on when the lens is properly focused (such as the
split-disk screen in my AE-1).

Martin

Skip M

"Martin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Henry,
>
> I looked at the description at the link you provided, and nothing is
> said about whether the mechanical linkage is present to allow the
> camera body to set lens aperture. Do you know if this works?
> Otherwise, the setup would be reduced to manual exposure only.
>
> Martin

Since the aperture on EOS cameras is set electronically, and on FD mount
cameras it was set mechanically, the interface to do that with an FD mount
lens on an EOS camera is not available.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com