Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Does photoshop Elements 3 do everything that Photoshop does?

Does photoshop Elements 3 do everything that Photoshop does?

Brian

If a person owns Photoshop then would he still need Photoshop elements
3?
Can Photoshop elements 3 do things that Photoshop can't do?

I'm thinking that Photoshop Elements is a deduced feature version of
Photoshop.

Regards Brian

dylan

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If a person owns Photoshop then would he still need Photoshop elements
> 3?
> Can Photoshop elements 3 do things that Photoshop can't do?
>
> I'm thinking that Photoshop Elements is a deduced feature version of
> Photoshop.
>
> Regards Brian

worth a look...

http://graphicssoft.about.com/b/a/170508.htm

Jim

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If a person owns Photoshop then would he still need Photoshop elements
> 3?

No
> Can Photoshop elements 3 do things that Photoshop can't do?

Almost. The last time I looked, Elements did not contain the curve tool.
That is one feature that I use whenever it will do the job best.
I have the impression from reading posts on this newgroup that Elements does
not provide as many tools for gamut control, and I need to be able to
specify profiles for the montor, the workspace, the scanner, and the
printer.

> I'm thinking that Photoshop Elements is a deduced feature version of
> Photoshop.

If you meant "reduced", the answer is yes. However, most of the left out
features don't impact photographers much.

> Regards Brian

Jim

Bill Hilton

>If a person owns Photoshop then would he still need Photoshop
>elements 3?

No, not if they know how to use Photoshop.

>Can Photoshop elements 3 do things that Photoshop can't do?

Some things are simplified in Elements so it's easier for a beginner to
do them in a push-button fashion (kind of like the so-called "idiot
modes" on Canon consumer dSLRs) and there's an image orgainizer that's
OK but other than that ... here's a quote from the article I link to
below ... "Photoshop Elements also offers some features that are not
available in Photoshop such as the cookie cutter tool, Quick Fix mode,
and the Photo Organizer."

>I'm thinking that Photoshop Elements is a deduced feature version
>of Photoshop.

Change "deduced" to "reduced" and you've got it ... here's an article
that lists many of the differences ...
http://graphicssoft.about.com/cs/pho...ntscompare.htm ...
Elements is fine for a beginner or intermediate level graphics program
but if you are already using Photoshop there's little point in using
Elements.

Bill

Dave R knows who

"Bill Hilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> >If a person owns Photoshop then would he still need Photoshop
>>elements 3?

> No, not if they know how to use Photoshop.
>
>>Can Photoshop elements 3 do things that Photoshop can't do?

> Some things are simplified in Elements so it's easier for a beginner to
> do them in a push-button fashion (kind of like the so-called "idiot
> modes" on Canon consumer dSLRs) and there's an image orgainizer that's
> OK but other than that ... here's a quote from the article I link to
> below ... "Photoshop Elements also offers some features that are not
> available in Photoshop such as the cookie cutter tool, Quick Fix mode,
> and the Photo Organizer."

I also read the dock-able toolbar is something only Elements 3 has. What
took them so long?

I installed E3 but it's quite different than 2 so I have yet to figure it
out - a lot of wizards and dumbed-downed things it seemed at first blush.
But the RAW support has to be nice - I'm using CS but hope to try E3 soon.

wavelength

One thing that CS2 has that I know Elements3 does not have is the High
Dynamic Range tool.

I've not used HDR, but I'd love to see the effects. Basically, you can
take 7 shots exposed a stop apart and get a full properly exposed shot
out of them. Highly useful for outdoors and landscapes. They have to be
tripod shots of course.

Saw a write up in Outdoor Photographer about, before and afters were
awesome.

Anyone have any shots to post or comments about HDR?