Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Looking for new printer - need suggestions

Looking for new printer - need suggestions

Rudy Benner

I am not happy with my current dot matrix printer, lets face it, it sucks
when it comes to photos.

I am open to suggestions on good value, capable of doing a reasonably good
job on photos, not too expensive ink replacement. Other features like built
in scanner a plus.

For really serious photo printing or large format, I will go to the local
professionals.

--
Rudy Benner

"...The people can always be brought to the bidding of the
leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being
attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and
exposing the country to greater danger "

-- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

Marvin

Rudy Benner wrote:
> I am not happy with my current dot matrix printer, lets face it, it sucks
> when it comes to photos.
>
> I am open to suggestions on good value, capable of doing a reasonably good
> job on photos, not too expensive ink replacement. Other features like built
> in scanner a plus.
>
> For really serious photo printing or large format, I will go to the local
> professionals.

I prefer HP printers for general use, inluding photos. I recently replaced an old DeskJet
with an HP officejet 4215xi, which I got at Costco for $89.99. It is a printer, sheet
scanner, and fax. I don't have a separate fax line, but this unit listens to my answering
machine, and cuts in if it hears the distinctive signal of a fax machine.

pixby

Marvin wrote:
> Rudy Benner wrote:
>
>> I am not happy with my current dot matrix printer, lets face it, it
>> sucks when it comes to photos.
>>
>> I am open to suggestions on good value, capable of doing a reasonably
>> good job on photos, not too expensive ink replacement. Other features
>> like built in scanner a plus.
>>
>> For really serious photo printing or large format, I will go to the
>> local professionals.
>>

> I prefer HP printers for general use, inluding photos. I recently
> replaced an old DeskJet with an HP officejet 4215xi, which I got at
> Costco for $89.99. It is a printer, sheet scanner, and fax. I don't
> have a separate fax line, but this unit listens to my answering machine,
> and cuts in if it hears the distinctive signal of a fax machine.

Without doubt the cheapest inkjets to run are Canon - sadly they also
make prints with the shortest life!

Without doubt the finest quality, longest life prints come from an Epson
printer. Sadly these cost a lot to run!

Somewhere between these two extremes are HP and Lexmark. Make your
choice, pay your money and the world continues to revolve!

--
Douglas,
You never really make it on the 'net

frederick

pixby wrote:
> Marvin wrote:
>
>> Rudy Benner wrote:
>>
>>> I am not happy with my current dot matrix printer, lets face it, it
>>> sucks when it comes to photos.
>>>
>>> I am open to suggestions on good value, capable of doing a reasonably
>>> good job on photos, not too expensive ink replacement. Other features
>>> like built in scanner a plus.
>>>
>>> For really serious photo printing or large format, I will go to the
>>> local professionals.
>>>

>> I prefer HP printers for general use, inluding photos. I recently
>> replaced an old DeskJet with an HP officejet 4215xi, which I got at
>> Costco for $89.99. It is a printer, sheet scanner, and fax. I don't
>> have a separate fax line, but this unit listens to my answering
>> machine, and cuts in if it hears the distinctive signal of a fax machine.

> Without doubt the cheapest inkjets to run are Canon - sadly they also
> make prints with the shortest life!
>
> Without doubt the finest quality, longest life prints come from an Epson
> printer. Sadly these cost a lot to run!
>
> Somewhere between these two extremes are HP and Lexmark. Make your
> choice, pay your money and the world continues to revolve!

Lexmark is usually left out comparisons for quality reasons.
HP is normally the most expensive for consumables by quite a margin.
They had the opportunity to address this with their new 8250 model that
has separate ink tanks and heads, but chose instead to install photo
cartridges that contain as little as 3.5 ml (2/3 teaspoon) of ink.

Rudy Benner

"pixby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4313572d$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Marvin wrote:
>> Rudy Benner wrote:
>>
>>> I am not happy with my current dot matrix printer, lets face it, it
>>> sucks when it comes to photos.
>>>
>>> I am open to suggestions on good value, capable of doing a reasonably
>>> good job on photos, not too expensive ink replacement. Other features
>>> like built in scanner a plus.
>>>
>>> For really serious photo printing or large format, I will go to the
>>> local professionals.
>>>

>> I prefer HP printers for general use, inluding photos. I recently
>> replaced an old DeskJet with an HP officejet 4215xi, which I got at
>> Costco for $89.99. It is a printer, sheet scanner, and fax. I don't have
>> a separate fax line, but this unit listens to my answering machine, and
>> cuts in if it hears the distinctive signal of a fax machine.

> Without doubt the cheapest inkjets to run are Canon - sadly they also make
> prints with the shortest life!
>
> Without doubt the finest quality, longest life prints come from an Epson
> printer. Sadly these cost a lot to run!
>
> Somewhere between these two extremes are HP and Lexmark. Make your choice,
> pay your money and the world continues to revolve!
>
> --
> Douglas,
> You never really make it on the 'net
> until you get your own personal Troll.
> Mine's called Chrlz. Don't feed him, he bites!

I settled for the Epson RX620. Does well even on plain paper.

Thanks for all the good advice.

R.