Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > EOS 20D and which lense to consider

EOS 20D and which lense to consider

Charles

I'm considering the 20D camera and one or two Canon L lenses (because
it seems to highly praised tho I'm not sure if I will really get any
benefit over Tamron lenses in my case).

I'm just shooting for my own needs such as family photos, some
graduations (telephoto lenses helpful here), family outings and very
few action shots. I haven't yet determined exactly my budget for
lenses but a very rough guess would be around $1000.00 (just for a
benchmark at the moment).

What are the most popular Canon L lenses that most people buy for this
camera? And if different to my first question what L lense(s) would
you recommend I consider to buy? Obviously, if I only buy one lense I
have more money to spend on it rather than 2 lenses so one would be my
preference but if two lenses is really better suited for me, okay.

And last question, do you think an average joe will be able to see the
difference in snapshots (visually) if I use Canon L over the Tamron
lenses on a 20D camera?

Linda Nieuwenstein

<Charles> wrote ...

> What are the most popular Canon L lenses that most people buy for this
> camera?

You'll probably find that people are very sensitive about their lenses,
especially on brand name viewpoints lol. For the sake of saving arguments
from cropping up
I'm not going to list what I think you should get, but I'll say that most
everyone who is serious about photography [and even those who are not] has
the Canon 50mm 1.8 in their gear. It is a VERY affordable lens with
surprising quality results. The Professionals often opt for the more
expensive 1.4 version of the 50mm lens. You'll likely not notice much of a
difference in image quality with the 1.8, and can pick it up for definitely
under $100USD. You won't be disappointed.

Take care,
Linda

Randall Ainsworth

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Charles wrote:

> I'm considering the 20D camera and one or two Canon L lenses (because
> it seems to highly praised tho I'm not sure if I will really get any
> benefit over Tamron lenses in my case).

You don't need to buy "L" glass. Canon consumer-grade lenses are, for
the most part, quite good. And it's all made together to work together.

David Littlewood

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Charles@?.?.invalid writes
>I'm considering the 20D camera and one or two Canon L lenses (because
>it seems to highly praised tho I'm not sure if I will really get any
>benefit over Tamron lenses in my case).
>
>I'm just shooting for my own needs such as family photos, some
>graduations (telephoto lenses helpful here), family outings and very
>few action shots. I haven't yet determined exactly my budget for
>lenses but a very rough guess would be around $1000.00 (just for a
>benchmark at the moment).
>
>What are the most popular Canon L lenses that most people buy for this
>camera? And if different to my first question what L lense(s) would
>you recommend I consider to buy? Obviously, if I only buy one lense I
>have more money to spend on it rather than 2 lenses so one would be my
>preference but if two lenses is really better suited for me, okay.
>
>And last question, do you think an average joe will be able to see the
>difference in snapshots (visually) if I use Canon L over the Tamron
>lenses on a 20D camera?

I think you are being over-influenced by the words of die-hard
enthusiasts. Sure, Canon L lenses are good, in fact excellent, but they
are really not necessary to get decent results under most conditions. If
you want to make 12x16" prints, or get good results in almost no light
and need an f/2.8 zoom or an f/1.4 fixed focal length lens, or want to
capture eagles in the sky 200m away, then you have no choice but to go
for the ultimate in quality and price. If you buy them just because
everyone tells you "they are the best" but you don't have these needs,
then you may be better off buying other things.

If your needs are for prints at say 4x6" size for distribution to
friends, or for putting up on a family web page, and will be taken in
decent light, then I don't think you will be able to tell the difference
between the L lenses and the better examples of the independent makers'
products (or indeed Canon's cheaper lenses).

I speak as someone who owns and regularly uses L lenses. In some cases,
I upgraded from cheaper prosumer versions, and for the uses I mention
above I would have difficulty telling the difference. I can tell the
difference in 12x16 or even 10x8 prints, done with great care by myself,
and on full sized files viewed at very large size on Photoshop

Apart from costing much more, the L lenses tend to be noticeably heavier
than the less expensive ones. My advice - and bear in mind I don't know
you so this has to be a bit of a guess - is that from the question you
asked, you would be well served with decent consumer or prosumer lenses
at around $4-500 each, rather than blowing it on 1 heavy pro lens. When
you have developed you interest in photography into a fetish, like most
of us posters here, then you should also have the knowledge and
experience to know when you need a much more expensive lens.

FWIW, here are a few specific suggestions.

The Canon 28-135 IS USM is a genuine bargain; I replaced my wide zoom
and long zoom with L lenses to get better quality, but I have not so far
seen any need to replace this.

The Canon 100mm f/2.8 macro lens is superb, and good value if you like
taking close ups. The Tamron 90mm macro is also highly regarded, though
I have never used it myself.

The 50mm f/1.8 is also an absolute bargain. I paid 3x as much for the
f/1.4, but I doubt if you could tell the difference 95% of the time.

The Canon 20-35 zoom is reasonably good. I replaced mine with a 17-35 L
zoom a few years ago as I found it wasn't quite up to scratch - but I
was using the photos on 12x16 prints.

The Canon 18-55mm kit lens is nowhere near as bad as some people have
painted it (or it has serious production variations). At least, for the
USM version; my daughter has one and gets very good results from it.
Considering it is almost a give-away, I suggest you get one with your
20D.

Difficult to be more specific as we don't know what kind of photographs
you take - do you take a lot of landscapes or buildings (wide) or sports
shots (long).

I decided a couple of years ago not to buy any more Sigma lenses. The
14mm I bought in the 1990s would not work on my EOS 10D. It is a known
issue that Sigma lenses may not work on Canon bodies brought out after
them. To be fair, some very reputable people are highly impressed by the
quality of some of them.

Hope this helps.

David
--
David Littlewood

John A. Stovall

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 07:24:02 -0500, Charles wrote:

>I'm considering the 20D camera and one or two Canon L lenses (because
>it seems to highly praised tho I'm not sure if I will really get any
>benefit over Tamron lenses in my case).
>
>I'm just shooting for my own needs such as family photos, some
>graduations (telephoto lenses helpful here), family outings and very
>few action shots. I haven't yet determined exactly my budget for
>lenses but a very rough guess would be around $1000.00 (just for a
>benchmark at the moment).
>
>What are the most popular Canon L lenses that most people buy for this
>camera? And if different to my first question what L lense(s) would
>you recommend I consider to buy? Obviously, if I only buy one lense I
>have more money to spend on it rather than 2 lenses so one would be my
>preference but if two lenses is really better suited for me, okay.

17-40 F4L and 70-200 F4L. they were my first two L's for my 20D and
throw in a 50mm F1.4 for low light and you are off to a good start.

At B&H the 17-40 is 679.95 and the 70-200 is 579.95.

-James Nachtwey-
http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/

John A. Stovall

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 12:03:47 -0500, John A. Stovall
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 07:24:02 -0500, Charles wrote:
>
>>I'm considering the 20D camera and one or two Canon L lenses (because
>>it seems to highly praised tho I'm not sure if I will really get any
>>benefit over Tamron lenses in my case).
>>
>>I'm just shooting for my own needs such as family photos, some
>>graduations (telephoto lenses helpful here), family outings and very
>>few action shots. I haven't yet determined exactly my budget for
>>lenses but a very rough guess would be around $1000.00 (just for a
>>benchmark at the moment).
>>
>>What are the most popular Canon L lenses that most people buy for this
>>camera? And if different to my first question what L lense(s) would
>>you recommend I consider to buy? Obviously, if I only buy one lense I
>>have more money to spend on it rather than 2 lenses so one would be my
>>preference but if two lenses is really better suited for me, okay.

>17-40 F4L and 70-200 F4L. they were my first two L's for my 20D and
>throw in a 50mm F1.4 for low light and you are off to a good start.
>
>At B&H the 17-40 is 679.95 and the 70-200 is 579.95.

Here is a good site for how all the Canon Lenses preform. The reviews
are by users.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/

-James Nachtwey-
http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/

Eatmorepies

<Charles> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm considering the 20D camera and one or two Canon L lenses (because
> it seems to highly praised tho I'm not sure if I will really get any
> benefit over Tamron lenses in my case).
>
> I'm just shooting for my own needs such as family photos, some
> graduations (telephoto lenses helpful here), family outings and very
> few action shots. I haven't yet determined exactly my budget for
> lenses but a very rough guess would be around $1000.00 (just for a
> benchmark at the moment).

> And last question, do you think an average joe will be able to see the
> difference in snapshots (visually) if I use Canon L over the Tamron
> lenses on a 20D camera?

If you only want to produce snapshots but want an SLR, go for the 350D and
save some money. I use a 350D and 3 L lenses because I want to use it for
more than snapshots. L lenses have a downside, they are big and heavy as
well as expensive. If I could make do with cheaper and smaller lenses I
would happily use the 18-55 kit lens, an EF 28 - 105 USB and possibly an EF
70 - 300 USB.

At a size of 5 by 7 you would notice little difference between the lenses.
But if you want to crop or focus very fast or get an extra stop or two in
dimmer light then L lenses begin to make sense. I love 'em - I'm hopefully
off to get my fourth tomorrow.

John

JPS@no.komm

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Charles wrote:

>And last question, do you think an average joe will be able to see the
>difference in snapshots (visually) if I use Canon L over the Tamron
>lenses on a 20D camera?

That depends on the specific lenses. Canon may make the few very best
lenses, but they are very few in number, and are generally heavy
telephoto lenses with multi-thousand-dollar price tags. In many lens
categories, Tamron lenses are sometimes better optically than the
Canons, but they are generally as or more expensive than the Canons.
Tamron's bottom lenses are probably worst than Canon's bottom lenses.

Tamron's Macro lenses, and their 28-75/f2.8 are all well-regarded, and
generally considered optically suoerior to Canon's offerings in their
class. Tamron doesn't have any IS models, though, and their focusing
tends to be a little slower and a little noisier.

In other words, there are no simple answers.
--

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
John P Sheehy <(E-Mail Removed)>
><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

Stefan Patric

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 07:24:02 -0500, Charles wrote:

> I'm considering the 20D camera and one or two Canon L lenses (because it
> seems to highly praised tho I'm not sure if I will really get any benefit
> over Tamron lenses in my case).

L lenses are really more lens than you need. At least, image qualitywise.
Why waste your money? They are designed to meet the rather high
requirements of professionals and film. Plus, many pros and amateurs
shoot both film and digital, and just get the best lenses for film and use
them with digital as well. Doesn't mean you have to. If all you're going
to shoot is the 20D (or some other DSLR), you don't need to get lenses,
and pay the extra price, that cover the 35mm film frame. Just get lenses
that are designed to cover the digital sensor and no more.

> I'm just shooting for my own needs such as family photos, some graduations
> (telephoto lenses helpful here), family outings and very few action shots.
> I haven't yet determined exactly my budget for lenses but a very rough
> guess would be around $1000.00 (just for a benchmark at the moment).

If that's what you're mostly going to shoot, you definitely DON'T need L
lenses. Consumer grade Canon, Tamron or Sigma lenses will do just fine.
The only exception would be for low light work like night sports or school
theater productions, etc. In those cases, maybe a fast prime lens or two
for those situations.

> What are the most popular Canon L lenses that most people buy for this
> camera? And if different to my first question what L lense(s) would you
> recommend I consider to buy? Obviously, if I only buy one lense I have
> more money to spend on it rather than 2 lenses so one would be my
> preference but if two lenses is really better suited for me, okay.

Don't go by what's popular or what everybody else is using. Get what
works for YOU.

I suggest that you buy only one lens first. One that will handle about
80% of what you intend to shoot. Usually that means a zoom of moderate
wide angle to normal or short telephoto range. After you use it for a
while, you'll know what second lens to buy. And most times it won't be
what you would have purchased had you purchased both lenses at the same
time.

> And last question, do you think an average joe will be able to see the
> difference in snapshots (visually) if I use Canon L over the Tamron lenses
> on a 20D camera?

No. A most definite no. Not even a serious or professional photographer
would be able to tell the difference in just "eyeballing" a snapshot.
Using an 8x loupe...? Maybe. Using a loupe on an 8x10. Probably.

Stefan

tzipple

> Tamron's Macro lenses, and their 28-75/f2.8 are all well-regarded, and
> generally considered optically suoerior to Canon's offerings in their
> class. Tamron doesn't have any IS models, though, and their focusing
> tends to be a little slower and a little noisier.

"Generally considered optically superior..."? Not in my neighborhood.
Most folks that I know are not dying to trade their Canon 28-70 f/2.8
lenses fot the Tamron. Or their macros for that matter. The part about
the lenses being cheaper, noiser, and slower to focus is certainly true,
however.

Don't get me wrong. Tamron is fine. I got a deal on a used Tamron macro
and it is certainly good enough that I feel no need to trade up to
Canon. But Canon lenses generally are a better bet in all ways except price.