Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > The 5D makes sense for the resolution

The 5D makes sense for the resolution

Bart van der Wolf

"David J. Littleboy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dee1ef$92u$(E-Mail Removed)...
SNIP
> I'm quite sure you are correct here for the lenses you mention, but
> I wonder about wide angle.

The (super) wide-angles have relatively poor corner performance on FF
sensors, even when stopped down.

> In particular, how do the corners on the 1D2 with a 17mm lens
> compare to the corners on the 1Ds with a 22mm lens?

From the MTF data of the 17-40mm @ 17mm, it can be predicted that the
central 15 mm radius of the image performs well, from 15-20mm radius
the quality drops significantly, but beyond 20mm it is virtually
non-existent, even stopped down. Things get a bit better towards the
longer focal lengths. This concurs with my FF findings.

This means that it's fine on a 1.6x crop (max. radius ), it'll start
to deteriorate in the corners on the 1.3x crop EOS-1D MkII (max.
radius 17.2mm), but is still good enough for most purposes. On a FF
sensor (max. 21.6mm radius) the extreme corners will basically suck,
and they do. So a slight crop wouldn't hurt.

> I'd think that in an 11x14 or larger print, the full frame with the
> longer lens would look better at the corners than a cropped frame
> with a shorter lens. Especially if you stopped down.

That's what I expect as well. For wide landscapes with little (wind or
subject) motion, I would certainly consider stitching with e.g. a
24mm.

Bart

Kinon O'cann

news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> >Exactly. All the lenses designed for that format will now function as
> >we've
>>become accustomed, and not cropped. I simply can't understand the
>>arguments
>>against full frame sensors.

> I'm guessing that most of your shooting is done at less than 100mm?
> If you shoot lots of telephoto stuff like wildlife and birds, you'd
> appreciate the 1.6x mag factor.

Not really. You can crop the FF sensor to approximate the 1.6 sensor. I
shoot a mix of lenses, not just wides. The FF sensor gives you an option
that 1.6 can't.

Alfred Molon

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "Kinon O'cann"
<Yes.it's.me.Bowser> says...

> I simply can't understand the arguments
> against full frame sensors. Yes, I know you can make smaller and lighter
> cams using 1.6 sensors, but not that much. The 5D is only 3 or 4 ounces
> heavier than the 20D, not really significant.

Nothing wrong with big sensors, except that lenses become big and heavy
too. It's not too much a body problem, rather a lens problem.
--

Alfred Molon

David J. Littleboy

"Kinon O'cann" <Yes.it's.me.Bowser> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Annika1980" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>> >Exactly. All the lenses designed for that format will now function as
>> >we've
>>>become accustomed, and not cropped. I simply can't understand the
>>>arguments
>>>against full frame sensors.

>> I'm guessing that most of your shooting is done at less than 100mm?
>> If you shoot lots of telephoto stuff like wildlife and birds, you'd
>> appreciate the 1.6x mag factor.

> Not really. You can crop the FF sensor to approximate the 1.6 sensor. I
> shoot a mix of lenses, not just wides. The FF sensor gives you an option
> that 1.6 can't.

The 20D pixels are smaller, so it does give you a magnification boost with
lenses that provide enough resolution. An 8MP crop from the 5D would only be
a 1.22x crop factor. So the 20D is still a 1.3x boost from a cropped 5D.

Also, the 20D burst rate is 5 fps vs. 3 fps for the 5D, so for most of what
Bret does, the 20D's the right camera.

So: Is Bret happy that he doesn't have to buy a new camera, or mad at Canon
for not making a camera that speaks to his needs????

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

winhag@yahoo.com

It does look pretty bad at the corners. But you should find a similar
example with the 20D and the 10-22 lens at full wide and see how that
fares. I wouldn't be surprised if it too has corner issues. I have the
EF 24mm fixed focal length lens. And if I had a 5D I would be very
happy using it. With the 20D it just isn't wide!

Anthony

Spot on David. Not just the facts, but the other comment as well:

'So: Is Bret happy that he doesn't have to buy a new camera, or mad at Canon
for not making a camera that speaks to his needs?'"

I think that there are many 20D users who are thinking this about the 5D.

"David J. Littleboy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:degdkg$uma$(E-Mail Removed)...

> The 20D pixels are smaller, so it does give you a magnification boost with
> lenses that provide enough resolution. An 8MP crop from the 5D would only

be
> a 1.22x crop factor. So the 20D is still a 1.3x boost from a cropped 5D.
>
> Also, the 20D burst rate is 5 fps vs. 3 fps for the 5D, so for most of

what
> Bret does, the 20D's the right camera.
>
> So: Is Bret happy that he doesn't have to buy a new camera, or mad at

Canon
> for not making a camera that speaks to his needs????
>
> David J. Littleboy
> Tokyo, Japan

Skip M

"Anthony" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Spot on David. Not just the facts, but the other comment as well:
>
> 'So: Is Bret happy that he doesn't have to buy a new camera, or mad at
> Canon
> for not making a camera that speaks to his needs?'"
>
> I think that there are many 20D users who are thinking this about the 5D.

I'm just irritated that Canon didn't introduce the 5D instead of the 20D.
It is better suited to what I do, although the 20D works just fine. I'll be
buying the new one, or, actually, two of them, but keeping the 20Ds, both as
backups and for what they do that the 5D doesn't.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com