Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Millions of packets

Millions of packets

James

I connect to the network via a laptop (physical) 10/100 LAN. Somehow
by the end of the day I have nearly 20 million packets recieved and 15
million sent. I do not do much more than other users with PCs who may
run up 100k packets max. I do not connect to constant streams of
internet traffic either.

What is going on please?

Walter Roberson

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
James <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I connect to the network via a laptop (physical) 10/100 LAN. Somehow
>by the end of the day I have nearly 20 million packets recieved and 15
>million sent. I do not do much more than other users with PCs who may
>run up 100k packets max. I do not connect to constant streams of
>internet traffic either.

>What is going on please?

Cisco does not market any laptops at all, and does not market any
LAN cards under the Cisco name. If I recall correctly, they do market
LAN cards under the Linksys name. This newsgroup doesn't talk about
the Linksys equipment much, but if you tell us exactly which model
of Linksys card you are using, we might be able to come up with
something.

If you aren't using Cisco/Linksys equipment, then this is probably
not the right newsgroup. My guess is that you have a virus or spyware
and should install software such as "Spyware Search & Destroy",
"AdAware SE Personal", and one of the good free anti-virus programs
(lots of debate over which is the best -- you can always download
a trial of one of the famous ones to get you started).

James

I have plugged the LAN into my dell laptop - so am using a default
network card (3Com 3C920 Integrated Fast Ethernet Controller (3C905C-TX
Compatible). And this is linked to a Cicso 857W router. I am running
Zonelabs Security Suite (latest version) so I hope I do not have a
virus etc. Please let me know if I don't count for this group.

James <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I have plugged the LAN into my dell laptop - so am using a default
>network card (3Com 3C920 Integrated Fast Ethernet Controller (3C905C-TX
>Compatible). And this is linked to a Cicso 857W router.

I suggest you download Ethereal and examine the packets to see what
they are.

Rod Dorman

James <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I have plugged the LAN into my dell laptop - ...

Interesting point of view

--
-- Rod --
rodd(at)polylogics(dot)com

Merv

How did you determine how much traffic your laptop is receiving ?

netstat -e ???

James

No, just looked at the Status popup you get by double-clicking on the
systray icon. I'll try netstat -e and see what is produced.

James

Yes it is isn't it. Have you anything else to say

DigitalVinyl

"James" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I connect to the network via a laptop (physical) 10/100 LAN. Somehow
>by the end of the day I have nearly 20 million packets recieved and 15
>million sent. I do not do much more than other users with PCs who may
>run up 100k packets max. I do not connect to constant streams of
>internet traffic either.
>
>What is going on please?

Well I've got 2.5m/1.3m packets after nearly 24 hours. And I think I
did a few gigs of downloads last night.

99% chance you have a program running in the background doing
something.

The #1 likelihood is the current spyware/malware glut. Most PCs that I
have had to repair that were in a really bad state had Mcafee or
Norton antivirus installed and spyware had disabled them. AOL Spyware
scanners only detected spyware after it was fully installed and did
not stop the spyware from bringing other spyware programs down and
installing them. Once this process starts it is just a matter of time
till you landslide and have a dozen malwares running in the background
openging popups and even trojans. Worms/spyware can scan the entire
internet looking for victims. The presence of trojans can also raise
traffic levels considerably. This is an indication that someone else
is likely using your PC by accessing the trojan. Usually, when I've
found a PC that has been compromised to that level it performs
incredibly poorly, popups galore and the simplest of webpages display
slowly.

I would troubleshoot it as a PC problem first. Use all the freewares
to check things out

RUN AD-AWARE SE
RUN SPYBOT SEARCH and DESTROY v1.4
- makes sure you get all the latest updates before doing your first
scan. Scannning with old definitions is useless.

RUN an external virus checker to validate that yours hasn't been
compromised.
http://www.trendmicro.com/ free online virus and spyware scan
http://www.pandasoftware.com/ free online ActiveScan

Each product will find different things, no one product is enough. If
they are relatively clean (no viruses, minimal MALWARE) you can
probably be confident you're ok.

If you find lots of serious stuff(Malware, viruses, trojan), reboot,
then do a second run of all of them. If stuff keeps appearing than
you've still got something serious. At that point I suggest installing
a trial version of TROJAN HUNTER. It will clean the PC and i've found
that seriously screwed PCs still had really bad stuff that only this
one detected.

DiGiTAL_ViNYL (no email)

James

Thanks for the info. I used to run Ad-aware and Spybot but now have it
all within the Zone Alarms Suite. So I think my laptop is clean. I
have, today, purely by chance upgraded the driver for the LAN card and
although it was not mentioned as being one of the fixes I am getting
far less throughput - so maybe it is fixed. I'll watch for a bit and
see. I guess it is becasue I have just installed a new Cisco router
(and am having some issues wth VPN) that I have noticed this issue now,
I must have always had it!

Thanks again for your advice.

reuse HashMap$Entry (or HashMap in total) to avoid millions of allocations Vince Darley Java 4 03-02-2010 07:48 AM
Make Millions With In Days HARIKRISHNAN Computer Support 3 08-08-2004 02:48 AM
millions combinations of test vectors for ALU Lily VHDL 16 05-10-2004 07:22 PM
MILLIONS SUN Computer Support 2 01-14-2004 10:18 AM
Old scam....new words.....flight 103 passenger worth millions! Richard Computer Support 11 11-08-2003 04:09 PM

Advertisments