Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Minox missing on Dpreview...

Minox missing on Dpreview...

ThomasH

I always keep wondering, why Mionox cameras will not be
listed or tested by Dpreview. Of course I asked them per
email, and in traditional Dpreview fashion, there was no
answer.

Dpreview lists numerous, let me call them so, marginal
companies, which are out of digital camera production
anyway. Examples: Sanyo, JVC, even Agfa (which still
gets over 1000 hits per week, albiet they stopped to make
consumer cameras at 1.n Mpix models and cancelled their
digital camera division.)

In contrast to this, Minox is well and alive:

http://www.minox.com/minox2002/pages...4nav_produkte&

Especially their classic Leica M3 miniature is now
in its 4Mpix version, weight mere 95g (3oz approx).

I would like to see someplace a test and detailed
description. Seemingly, there are none...

Thomas

Canongirly

"ThomasH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I always keep wondering, why Mionox cameras will not be
> listed or tested by Dpreview. Of course I asked them per
> email, and in traditional Dpreview fashion, there was no
> answer.
>
> Dpreview lists numerous, let me call them so, marginal
> companies, which are out of digital camera production
> anyway. Examples: Sanyo, JVC, even Agfa (which still
> gets over 1000 hits per week, albiet they stopped to make
> consumer cameras at 1.n Mpix models and cancelled their
> digital camera division.)
>
> In contrast to this, Minox is well and alive:
>
> http://www.minox.com/minox2002/pages...4nav_produkte&
>
> Especially their classic Leica M3 miniature is now
> in its 4Mpix version, weight mere 95g (3oz approx).
>
> I would like to see someplace a test and detailed
> description. Seemingly, there are none...
>
> Thomas

Gee perhaps that's because they haven't had the opportunity to test it?
FYI the do have two Leicas on the site.

wavelength

Aren't Minox those things that chew on power cables in Star Wars..??

:0)~

Paul H.

"wavelength" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Aren't Minox those things that chew on power cables in Star Wars..??
>
> :0)~

These are a related species that chew on your wallet instead.

Paul H.

"ThomasH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I always keep wondering, why Mionox cameras will not be
> listed or tested by Dpreview. Of course I asked them per
> email, and in traditional Dpreview fashion, there was no
> answer.

Maybe it's because most Minox offerings have a relatively high "ho-hum"
factor. However, the toy-sized "Leica" cameras are cute and the (synthetic)
diamond-studded round cameras are, well, just perfect for bringing a sense
of style to the recently lobotomized. Funny, but of all the times I wished
my camera had this-or-that feature, I don't believe I ever once said to
myself, "Gee, I sure wish the body looked like the Starship Enterprise with
an eating disorder."

ThomasH

On 20-Aug-05 23:00, Paul H. wrote:
> "ThomasH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>I always keep wondering, why Mionox cameras will not be
>>listed or tested by Dpreview. Of course I asked them per
>>email, and in traditional Dpreview fashion, there was no
>>answer.

> Maybe it's because most Minox offerings have a relatively high "ho-hum"
> factor. However, the toy-sized "Leica" cameras are cute and the (synthetic)
> diamond-studded round cameras are, well, just perfect for bringing a sense
> of style to the recently lobotomized. Funny, but of all the times I wished
> my camera had this-or-that feature, I don't believe I ever once said to
> myself, "Gee, I sure wish the body looked like the Starship Enterprise with
> an eating disorder."

I think that our Maker in its infinite wisdom must have thought
something in providing us with this amazing variety of imaginations...
Minox and eating disorder!! I think that by this association you
just hit the spot for the most bizarre malfunction of the human
reasoning processor.

Minox is a traditional manufacturer of miniature cameras. They are
in business for untold years and their most important contribution
was to provide workhorses for the entire intelligence gathering
community. From governmental, over industrial down to fantasy
characters with a double-o number, they all run with a Minox in
their pocket (or elsewhere, for that matter...) Nothing surpassed
Minoxes in the combination of a tiny size, silent operation and
astonishing image quality. Of course photographers and private
people liked Minoxes for the same features as travel or event
cameras.

Their micro cameras were always equipped by top glass, sure
eclipsing what an average Nikon or Canon would provide you with.
Their former association with Leica allowed them to make their
famous Leica miniatures.

And I would like to get such a miniature for myself, as a camera
which I would take with me in my pocket to an event. However,
in the present time still sensors make the pictures. I would
like to see some images made with this Minox first... I can
imagine that they share the problem with Leica (or with Nikon
for that matter!) in getting their hands on decent low noise
sensors.

Thomas