Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Monster Moth

Monster Moth

MarkČ

This guy was about 10 inches (25cm) from tip to tip:

Bikpela true!

Beck

MarkČ wrote:
> This guy was about 10 inches (25cm) from tip to tip:
> http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/47903081/original
>
> Bikpela true!

urgh it looks like it has a snake head on either side

MarkČ

"Beck" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> MarkČ wrote:
>> This guy was about 10 inches (25cm) from tip to tip:
>> http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/47903081/original
>>
>> Bikpela true!

> urgh it looks like it has a snake head on either side

Hadn't noticed that, but I see it.
-To keep birds away, perhaps?

Beck

MarkČ wrote:
> "Beck" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> MarkČ wrote:
>>> This guy was about 10 inches (25cm) from tip to tip:
>>> http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/47903081/original
>>>
>>> Bikpela true!

>> urgh it looks like it has a snake head on either side

> Hadn't noticed that, but I see it.
> -To keep birds away, perhaps?

Was actually the first thing I noticed, my eyes were instantly drawn to
them. Maybe it is some kind of defence design.

Beck

MarkČ wrote:
> "Beck" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> MarkČ wrote:
>>> This guy was about 10 inches (25cm) from tip to tip:
>>> http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/47903081/original
>>>
>>> Bikpela true!

>> urgh it looks like it has a snake head on either side

> Hadn't noticed that, but I see it.
> -To keep birds away, perhaps?

Aside from the moths look, it is a very good picture

JimKramer

It is an Atlas Moth. Where were you when you took it?

Jim

Ron Hunter

Beck wrote:
> MarkČ wrote:
>> This guy was about 10 inches (25cm) from tip to tip:
>> http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/47903081/original
>>
>> Bikpela true!

> urgh it looks like it has a snake head on either side

I suppose that is to discourage birds from trying to eat him....

--
Ron Hunter http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Andy Clews

Thus spake JimKramer unto the assembled multitudes:
> It is an Atlas Moth. Where were you when you took it?

I know it's said that the wing tips look like snakes' heads, but the
wing-edges (from the sides up to to the tips) look to me like imitations of
large moth larvae which would probably be poisonous, thus deterring
predators. Brilliant bit of self-defence evolution.

--
Andy Clews University of Sussex IT Services
(Remove DENTURES if replying by email)

Bill Funk

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 01:55:39 -0700, "MarkČ" <mjmorgan(lowest even
number here)@cox..net> wrote:

>This guy was about 10 inches (25cm) from tip to tip:
>http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/47903081/original
>
>Bikpela true!

Wow! It's neat that you got the pic just as it emerged; there's no
damage to the wings at all!
Thanks!

--
Bill Funk
Replace "g" with "a"

Bob Harrington

MarkČ wrote:
> This guy was about 10 inches (25cm) from tip to tip:
> http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/47903081/original
>
> Bikpela true!

Amazing... moth and photograph!

This was in Washington State? Think I'll go close the windows... (^o

Bob ^,,^