Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Nikon "PictureProject" software

Reply
Thread Tools

Nikon "PictureProject" software

 
 
Hallvard Tangeraas
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-18-2005
I'm confused, trying to figure out Nikon's "PictureProject"
software (version 1.5) which came with the camera and is now
installed on a Windows ME computer.

I've been playing around with it a bit, and I'm afraid I've
messed things up.
Importing new images from the camera (or other folders on the
hard drive) is a breeze, but I'm having a hard time figuring out
where the different folder contents are located.
There's a "PictureProject" folder found inside the images folder
in the "My documents" folder.
It contains a bunch of numbered folders, each one seemingly
containing whatever has been imported in a session, but how do I
choose/access these folders when I'm using the program?

Secondly, I played around with some functions in PictureProject,
such as "rotate" and red-eye removal.
It seems that this actually alters the image files!!! Is this
correct? Is there any way to revert to the original files
*without* affecting the quality?
(I know that the JPEG format is a "lossy" one, so I assume that
every time an image is rotated and saved, a little quality is
lost). I'd like to keep at least a copy of my images on CD which
is original.


--
Hallvard
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Jim
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-18-2005

"Hallvard Tangeraas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4304a3e0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm confused, trying to figure out Nikon's "PictureProject" software
> (version 1.5) which came with the camera and is now installed on a Windows
> ME computer.
>
> I've been playing around with it a bit, and I'm afraid I've messed things
> up.
> Importing new images from the camera (or other folders on the hard drive)
> is a breeze, but I'm having a hard time figuring out where the different
> folder contents are located.
> There's a "PictureProject" folder found inside the images folder in the
> "My documents" folder.
> It contains a bunch of numbered folders, each one seemingly containing
> whatever has been imported in a session, but how do I choose/access these
> folders when I'm using the program?

You see the current one in Picture Perfect. I neither know nor need to know
how to access the other folders, because I always copy the files to another
folder before I do any work on them.
>
> Secondly, I played around with some functions in PictureProject, such as
> "rotate" and red-eye removal.
> It seems that this actually alters the image files!!! Is this correct? Is
> there any way to revert to the original files *without* affecting the
> quality?

Of course rotating and red-eye removal alter the image files. Well,
rotating won't do much, but as the resulting image will be compressed when
you close it, some degradation will occur. What you should do is save the
resulting image to another folder.
> (I know that the JPEG format is a "lossy" one, so I assume that every time
> an image is rotated and saved, a little quality is lost). I'd like to keep
> at least a copy of my images on CD which is original.

Just backup those numbered folders (which you left unchanged by saving any
changes elsewhere) to the CD.
Jim
>
>
> --
> Hallvard



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Hallvard Tangeraas
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-18-2005
Jim wrote:

> "Hallvard Tangeraas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4304a3e0$(E-Mail Removed)...


>> There's a "PictureProject" folder found inside the images folder in the
>> "My documents" folder.
>> It contains a bunch of numbered folders, each one seemingly containing
>> whatever has been imported in a session, but how do I choose/access these
>> folders when I'm using the program?

> You see the current one in Picture Perfect. I neither know nor need to know
> how to access the other folders, because I always copy the files to another
> folder before I do any work on them.


That's what I've started to do as well, and transferred them to CDs.
Unfortunately I transferred a memory card contents worth of
images directly into PictureProject and failed to copy the files
to another folder before messing around with the rotate functions
among others.


>> Secondly, I played around with some functions in PictureProject, such as
>> "rotate" and red-eye removal.
>> It seems that this actually alters the image files!!! Is this correct? Is
>> there any way to revert to the original files *without* affecting the
>> quality?

> Of course rotating and red-eye removal alter the image files. Well,
> rotating won't do much, but as the resulting image will be compressed when
> you close it, some degradation will occur. What you should do is save the
> resulting image to another folder.


The reason I asked is because I found an option for choosing the
original or edited image, but I can't seem to find separate
original and edited image files, which confuses me.
(If you select a photo, then go to "edit" mode (as opposed to
"Organize") -at the bottom right hand side of the screen there's
a window titled "Markers", which lets you choose between original
and edited versions of the image).

Good to hear that rotating won't do much damage as that's what
I've done mostly. I was sure that this function wouldn't actually
*change* the image files themselves, but merely add information
to PictureProject, telling it to rotate the said images such and
such. Why no warning about permanent alterations if this is the
case!!?!?!?

Now if someone could tell me how to access image folders other
than "Last import" I could see if the images are re-saved
un-edited again. Anyone else know about this?

Isn't this supposed to be a photo-album program?
I thought the idea was to be able to organize photos in various
ways, just like a "real", physical photo album. It's a little
confusing at the moment, but I'm sure there's a system of some
sort, if someone could give me a few pointers on how to get
started -the manual explains just about nothing beyond installing it.


>> (I know that the JPEG format is a "lossy" one, so I assume that every time
>> an image is rotated and saved, a little quality is lost). I'd like to keep
>> at least a copy of my images on CD which is original.

> Just backup those numbered folders (which you left unchanged by saving any
> changes elsewhere) to the CD.


Yup, I'm doing that from now on.
A tad late perhaps, for some of the images, though I hope not.


--
Hallvard
 
Reply With Quote
 
Scott Peterson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-19-2005
Hallvard Tangeraas <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>It contains a bunch of numbered folders, each one seemingly
>containing whatever has been imported in a session, but how do I
>choose/access these folders when I'm using the program?


It's a very confusing program. You may want to look at the latest
release of Nikon View and use a third party editing program like
Photoshop Elements 3.

One of the options on import is to put each new import into a separate
folder. You'll have to find the import options and turn that off to
stop that behavior. You can also choose the folder you want to use to
import pictures there. Nikon uses the Microsoft security model
default of the "My Documents" folder for each person logged on to an
XP system to store imported pictures.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SMS gateway software, SMS gateway, SMS software, SMS server, SMPP software, WAP Push John ASP .Net 0 08-29-2007 05:08 AM
SMS gateway software, SMS gateway, SMS software, SMS server, SMPP software, WAP Push John Java 0 08-28-2007 05:53 AM
Nikon 8800 vs Nikon 990 vs Canon 8MP Rebel vs Nikon D70 fj40rockcrawler@gmail.com Digital Photography 10 06-07-2005 06:53 PM
Nikon Coopix 5700 - Is Nikon Views Software Worth Loading? The_AntiArt Digital Photography 6 10-02-2004 06:59 PM
Nikon RAW NEF File Editing Without Nikon Capture? Free Software? Dave Head Digital Photography 13 01-14-2004 11:56 PM



Advertisments