Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon S2 IS test image

Canon S2 IS test image

grumpy@mailinator.com

Near enough to a full moon, so I decided to test my new Canon S2 IS. The camera was hand held, auto
settings. Maximum zoom plus maximum digital (puke!) zoom to see how it would go. I am very
impressed by the results.

http://tinypic.com/aoqc8j.jpg

Mike Warren

> Near enough to a full moon, so I decided to test my new Canon S2 IS.
> The camera was hand held, auto settings. Maximum zoom plus maximum
> digital (puke!) zoom to see how it would go. I am very impressed by
> the results.
>
> http://tinypic.com/aoqc8j.jpg

I was waiting to shoot the moon tonight but it's been raining in
Cairns. So instead, I made a quick improvement to your pic in
Photoshop. Is it ok for me to post it? (or I can email it to you
if you like).

-Mike

yAro

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Near enough to a full moon, so I decided to test my new Canon S2 IS. The

camera was hand held, auto
> settings. Maximum zoom plus maximum digital (puke!) zoom to see how it

would go. I am very
> impressed by the results.
>
> http://tinypic.com/aoqc8j.jpg

Yeah, I can see something bright and round. You'd better do the same without
digi-zoom so we could actually see
something smaller but at least in focus. Then one can say something about
the quality of this camera and functionality of
its IS.

David J Taylor

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Near enough to a full moon, so I decided to test my new Canon S2 IS.
> The camera was hand held, auto settings. Maximum zoom plus maximum
> digital (puke!) zoom to see how it would go. I am very impressed by
> the results.
>
> http://tinypic.com/aoqc8j.jpg

Without the "benefit" of digital zoom, this is what I got from some
Panasonic cameras:

FZ20:
http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/F...35-01-crop.jpg

FZ5:
http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/F...23-53-crop.jpg

Hand-held, but I used spot metering and some exposure compensation to
avoid over exposure. The results are not dissimilar. I remain surprised
by the results which cameras of this class can produce, whatever the
brand.

Cheers,
David

Pete D

Not that impressive, here's one I did without IS, just plonked it on a
tripod.

http://pentaxds.multiply.com/photos/photo/4/1.jpg

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Near enough to a full moon, so I decided to test my new Canon S2 IS. The
> camera was hand held, auto
> settings. Maximum zoom plus maximum digital (puke!) zoom to see how it
> would go. I am very
> impressed by the results.
>
> http://tinypic.com/aoqc8j.jpg

Pete D

Or here for the slightly larger version.
http://pentaxds.multiply.com/photos/...to%2F4%2F1.jpg

"Pete D" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:tj%Me.3765$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Not that impressive, here's one I did without IS, just plonked it on a
> tripod.
>
> http://pentaxds.multiply.com/photos/photo/4/1.jpg
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Near enough to a full moon, so I decided to test my new Canon S2 IS. The
>> camera was hand held, auto
>> settings. Maximum zoom plus maximum digital (puke!) zoom to see how it
>> would go. I am very
>> impressed by the results.
>>
>> http://tinypic.com/aoqc8j.jpg

grumpy@mailinator.com

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 22:10:26 +1000, "Mike Warren" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > Near enough to a full moon, so I decided to test my new Canon S2 IS.
> > The camera was hand held, auto settings. Maximum zoom plus maximum
> > digital (puke!) zoom to see how it would go. I am very impressed by
> > the results.
> >
> > http://tinypic.com/aoqc8j.jpg

> I was waiting to shoot the moon tonight but it's been raining in
> Cairns. So instead, I made a quick improvement to your pic in
> Photoshop. Is it ok for me to post it? (or I can email it to you
> if you like).

Post it.

Mike Warren

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 22:10:26 +1000, "Mike Warren"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>> Near enough to a full moon, so I decided to test my new Canon S2 IS.
>>> The camera was hand held, auto settings. Maximum zoom plus maximum
>>> digital (puke!) zoom to see how it would go. I am very impressed by
>>> the results.
>>>
>>> http://tinypic.com/aoqc8j.jpg

>> I was waiting to shoot the moon tonight but it's been raining in
>> Cairns. So instead, I made a quick improvement to your pic in
>> Photoshop. Is it ok for me to post it? (or I can email it to you
>> if you like).

> Post it.

Ok. Here it is http://web.aanet.com.au/miwa/aoqc8j-modified.jpg

-Mike

SleeperMan

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Near enough to a full moon, so I decided to test my new Canon S2 IS.
> The camera was hand held, auto settings. Maximum zoom plus maximum
> digital (puke!) zoom to see how it would go. I am very impressed by
> the results.
>
> http://tinypic.com/aoqc8j.jpg

since you're shooting a moon, i guess i can send some shots to it...
Since you all already did shoot it, i only did two shots with tele converter
(Canon) - one with full optical zoom:
http://www.protoncek.com/misc/max_opt_conv.jpg

and other with full optical and digital zoom (also with converter):

http://www.protoncek.com/misc/max_opt&digi_conv.jpg

just for comparing purposes...

grumpy@mailinator.com

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 23:20:39 +1000, "Mike Warren" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> >> I was waiting to shoot the moon tonight but it's been raining in
> >> Cairns. So instead, I made a quick improvement to your pic in
> >> Photoshop. Is it ok for me to post it? (or I can email it to you
> >> if you like).

> > Post it.

> Ok. Here it is http://web.aanet.com.au/miwa/aoqc8j-modified.jpg
>
> -Mike