Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Nikon D70 monitor behaviour

Nikon D70 monitor behaviour

Andy Clews

I find that white pixels, or at least brightly-lit patches of images, blink
on and off when on display on my D70. Is this normal behaviour, or a
power-saving feature? I find it rather irritating. Can it be switched
off, that is so that the image is displayed with non-blinking bright patches?

Forgive me if this feature is documented somewhere. I've checked through
the D70 manual and can't seem to find a reference to this feature.

--
Andy Clews University of Sussex IT Services
(Remove DENTURES if replying by email)

Hans S

Andy Clews wrote:

> I find that white pixels, or at least brightly-lit patches of images,
> blink on and off when on display on my D70. Is this normal
> behaviour, or a power-saving feature? I find it rather irritating.
> Can it be switched off, that is so that the image is displayed with
> non-blinking bright patches?

It's the "highlights" setting in playback mode. When you press the
multi-selector left or right, you will get other info.

> Forgive me if this feature is documented somewhere. I've checked
> through the D70 manual and can't seem to find a reference to this
> feature.

Look at the section "More about playback" (Page 113 in my manual).

MarkČ

"Andy Clews" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ddvdn2$36l$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I find that white pixels, or at least brightly-lit patches of images, blink
> on and off when on display on my D70. Is this normal behaviour, or a
> power-saving feature? I find it rather irritating. Can it be switched
> off, that is so that the image is displayed with non-blinking bright
> patches?
>
> Forgive me if this feature is documented somewhere. I've checked through
> the D70 manual and can't seem to find a reference to this feature.

That's showing you that portions of your image are blown out.

Jim

"Andy Clews" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ddvdn2$36l$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I find that white pixels, or at least brightly-lit patches of images, blink
> on and off when on display on my D70. Is this normal behaviour, or a
> power-saving feature? I find it rather irritating. Can it be switched
> off, that is so that the image is displayed with non-blinking bright
> patches?
>
> Forgive me if this feature is documented somewhere. I've checked through
> the D70 manual and can't seem to find a reference to this feature.

The D70 is indicating that these areas of the image are seriously
overexposed. The solution is to do whatever it takes to reduce the
overexposed condition. And, the manual does discuss this feature.
Jim

> --
> Andy Clews University of Sussex IT Services
> (Remove DENTURES if replying by email)

Andy Clews

Thus spake Hans S unto the assembled multitudes:
>> Can it be switched off, that is so that the image is displayed with
>> non-blinking bright patches?

> It's the "highlights" setting in playback mode. When you press the
> multi-selector left or right, you will get other info.

> Look at the section "More about playback" (Page 113 in my manual).

Thank you (and Jim). I had a feeling it was going to be something obvious.

Gradually getting to know this amazing piece of kit...