Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > looking for high quality point and shoot with short lag time

looking for high quality point and shoot with short lag time

ecm

jilliesmother wrote:
> A mom looking for the best point and shoot (35 mm quality photos) with
> the shortest lag time? What are your recommendations?

I have to say, if shutter lag is really a problem, the dSLR's will beat
anything else, hands down.

But, if $800+ for a digicam is not in your future, consider cameras
like the Fuji F10 (~$300); very fast, and resonably useable ISO 400-800
for low light. Or perhaps the Casio Exilim EX-P700 (~$400-450);
supposed to be fast, and it's got a decent "burst" of 5 shots in 1.5
seconds. It also has a connector for an external flash; useful for
indoor kiddie shots. Check out reviews at places like www.dpreview.com
, www.steves-digital.com or www.imaging-resource.com .

Sony does make good cameras, I own a Sony miniDV Camcorder that I
really appreciate. The only issue might be the proprietary Memory Stick
flash memory; it's expensive and the technology is not holding up well
over time. There are two "new" memory stick formats that are not
necessarily backwards compatible. (and before the flames start, I'll
direct y'all to here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_stick )

"35mm quality" doesn't tell us much about what you want; most digicams
with 3 megapixels or more will take better pics than the ol' 35mm point
& shoot with drugstore-brand film, but that's not saying much. Do you
want 4x6" snapshots, or 11X17" gallery-quality prints? In general, any
good-quality name-brand P&S with 4-7 Mpixels, and an optical (NOT
digital) zoom of at least 3X will do a good job for up to 8X10" prints.

Good Luck!
ECM

wavelength

ecm wrote:
> jilliesmother wrote:
> > A mom looking for the best point and shoot (35 mm quality photos) with
> > the shortest lag time? What are your recommendations?

> I have to say, if shutter lag is really a problem, the dSLR's will beat
> anything else, hands down.

What I have been saying is that most low end dSLR's actually don't beat
the top end Sony models when it comes to full AF press shutter release
lag times.

The DSC-H1 and DSC-v3 both beat the D50 hands down, not the other way
around. Just go to imaging-resource.com and check the times.

This is the real reason that Konica Minolta and Sony have teamed up.
Sony wanted SLR body, lens, camera control engineering and ergonomics,
and CCD shift Anti-shake from Konica, and Konica wants Sony's laser
range finder for focusing (in complete darkness even), better CMOS and
CCD sensors, internal electronics and software experience.

Alot of people have discounted this team-up, but I imagine that they
will be a force to be reckoned with.

ecm

wavelength wrote:
> ecm wrote:
> > jilliesmother wrote:
> > > A mom looking for the best point and shoot (35 mm quality photos) with
> > > the shortest lag time? What are your recommendations?

> > I have to say, if shutter lag is really a problem, the dSLR's will beat
> > anything else, hands down.
> >

> What I have been saying is that most low end dSLR's actually don't beat
> the top end Sony models when it comes to full AF press shutter release
> lag times.
>
> The DSC-H1 and DSC-v3 both beat the D50 hands down, not the other way
> around. Just go to imaging-resource.com and check the times.

Some of the newer cameras are starting to do MUCH better.... a trend I
really hope continues. But the published times aren't everything,
there's also the "feel" of the camera. I've tried out (for example) the
Fuji F10; the numbers (on dpreview, IIRC; they're down this am) say
it's ~1/2 second for "full press" lag, so including autofocus, exposure
metering, and image capture but not storage - faster than, for example,
the Canon dRebel. However, get it in your hands and it's not as good as
the numbers say; it still has a noticable (and irritating) lag. Maybe
the new Sony's are different, I haven't tried them. The Canon dRebel I
borrowed last Christmas, OTOH, felt as close to my old manual Nikon SLR
as I've been in a looong time..... I know, it's not the fastest, but
it's the one I've had my hands on. I guess the word I'd use is it felt
a lot more "responsive". Subjective impression, yes; it doesn't make a
lot of sense. But it's enough that this old scientist is willing to
abandon the empirical method, and wait until he can afford a dSLR.

> This is the real reason that Konica Minolta and Sony have teamed up.
> Sony wanted SLR body, lens, camera control engineering and ergonomics,
> and CCD shift Anti-shake from Konica, and Konica wants Sony's laser
> range finder for focusing (in complete darkness even), better CMOS and
> CCD sensors, internal electronics and software experience.
>
> Alot of people have discounted this team-up, but I imagine that they
> will be a force to be reckoned with.

I think this is an awesome team-up, I think that there's been a lot of
sour grapes - worried they'll have to upgrade too soon? Not invested in
Minolta lenses? The Maxxum 5D is ALMOST enough to make me invest,
but.... I don't know. There's no reviews yet, we'll have to see. I
started in photography with a Minolta Hi-Matic F viewfinder camera, so
I'm very fond of Minolta's lenses. And as I've said, Sony puts together
quality products - if only they didn't stick to their proprietary
memory....

Frankly, things are so tough in the digital camera arena right now, I'd
not be surprised to see a Nikon-Samsung or Pentax-Canon (or whatever,
I'm picking them out of the hat) in the near future. There's already
the Olympus-Panasonic team that has the potential to do great things,
as long as they survive the next few years.

ECM