Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > looking for high quality point and shoot with short lag time

looking for high quality point and shoot with short lag time

jilliesmother

A mom looking for the best point and shoot (35 mm quality photos) with
the shortest lag time? What are your recommendations?

tigrrrr

for a short lag, my recomendation is Sony, avoid Canon. The lag-time
difference is getting smaller with time, so check also other aspects of
the cameras you are choosing.

David Arnstein

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
tigrrrr <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>for a short lag, my recomendation is Sony, avoid Canon. The lag-time
>difference is getting smaller with time, so check also other aspects of
>the cameras you are choosing.

Yes. I am getting good results with my Sony Cybershot DSCP200. Fast it
is!
--
David Arnstein
(E-Mail Removed)

wavelength

Sony Cybershot Enthusiast are probably the best for that.

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...s&Dept=cameras

John McWilliams

jilliesmother wrote:
> A mom looking for the best point and shoot (35 mm quality photos) with
> the shortest lag time? What are your recommendations?

Are you planning on shooting your child's sports activities? If so,
avoid the P+s cameras.

--
John McWilliams

Mark˛

"John McWilliams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> jilliesmother wrote:
>> A mom looking for the best point and shoot (35 mm quality photos) with
>> the shortest lag time? What are your recommendations?
>>

> Are you planning on shooting your child's sports activities? If so, avoid
> the P+s cameras.

Good advice.

If shooting kid sports, or active, moving stuff at all...she'll be FAR
happier with the very cheapest DSLR she can find (including used at real
bargain prices), and will get absolutely superior images.

Mark˛

"Mark˛" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote in message

> "John McWilliams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> jilliesmother wrote:
>>> A mom looking for the best point and shoot (35 mm quality photos) with
>>> the shortest lag time? What are your recommendations?
>>>

>> Are you planning on shooting your child's sports activities? If so, avoid
>> the P+s cameras.

> Good advice.
>
> If shooting kid sports, or active, moving stuff at all...she'll be FAR
> happier with the very cheapest DSLR she can find (including used at real
> bargain prices), and will get absolutely superior images.

Example of used Digital Rebel:
http://tinyurl.com/7qcsy

Add a $100 lens, and you'll beat the pants off of ANY point-and-shoot.

wavelength

I still stick by the Sony models.

Full AF shutter lag of .03 in a sub $500 model with 10x zoom is hard to
argue with.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/H1/H1DAT.HTM

Of course you only get 1.3 frames per second, but for the price it's
pretty great. I doubt this lady wan't to spend $800 on a camera and
lens, even used.

wavelength

And the new D50 only has a .265 shutter lag from full AF.

That's 9 times higher shutter lag.

Cycle time is better at 2.47 frames per sec.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/D50/D50A11.HTM

David Chien

Actually, if you buy a Sony, then set the camera to fixed focus mode at
1m, 3m or whatever resonable distance the kid will be away from you
(typically 3m is good), then you will have eliminated that big lag time
due to autofocusing completely.

What you do get is nearly instant shutter response, and a nice, clear
photo w/o worry. Indoors, simply set to fixed focus and flash always on
and you'll have the same.

Completely solved my problem re: running kids and/or indoor/low-light
missed shots.

Sony P200/T33/T7/W7 series all have this capability.

Otherwise, they are quick with typical 1/3rd sec AF times according to
various reviews.

---

As for the dSLR beating any P&S, well, remember than even they have AF
lag times.

For example, the Sony P200 full AF shutter lag time at wideangle
reported by imaging-resource.com is 0.30 seconds; the Rebel XT with
default lens is 0.24 seconds.

Yes, the dSLR beats the P&S, but a 0.06 second difference is hardly
anything to consider significant.

Where it is interesting is if you pre-focus both on a subject with full AF.

Sony P200 shutter lag of 0.013 seconds pre-focused; Rebel XT at 0.095
seconds! Yes, a P&S beating a dSLR!

Keep in mind that the smaller lenses on the P&S are easier to drive
(less motor required) a shorter distance to fully AF vs a larger dSLR lens.

---

Now, let's compare a Sony T33 to the dSLR (a very nice P&S with big 2.5"
LCD screen for mom's):

Full AF lag T33 = 0.24 seconds; Canon Rebel XT at 0.24 seconds!
Prefocused T33 = 0.011 seconds; Canon Rebel XT at 0.095 seconds!

Further advantage of the T33 vs dSLR?

You can stick the T33 into a shirt pocket or purse, even on, w/o
worrying about breaking off a typical zoom lens - why? No external zoom
lens! It's a folded, internal zoom lens that keeps the entire camera
slim and safe no matter how hurried you might get.

---