Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Oversaturated flowers

Oversaturated flowers

Mike Warren

Last weekend while out photographing waterfalls on the
Atherton Tableland I saw some flowers that were fluorescing.
I've never seen this effect before from natural objects.

I took a picture not expecting the effect to show and it didn't. Here
is the unchanged picture:

http://web.aanet.com.au/miwa/Flowers-Unedited.jpg

and this is a simulation of what I saw:

http://web.aanet.com.au/miwa/Flowers-Simulated.jpg

Extreme saturation with glowing blue/violet fringing.

These flowers were in the shade but the sun was shining.

Have other people seen this sort of thing?

-Mike

MarkČ

"Mike Warren" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:4301ce41$0$47203$(E-Mail Removed) eenews.net...
> Last weekend while out photographing waterfalls on the
> Atherton Tableland I saw some flowers that were fluorescing.
> I've never seen this effect before from natural objects.
>
> I took a picture not expecting the effect to show and it didn't. Here
> is the unchanged picture:
>
> http://web.aanet.com.au/miwa/Flowers-Unedited.jpg
>
> and this is a simulation of what I saw:
>
> http://web.aanet.com.au/miwa/Flowers-Simulated.jpg
>
> Extreme saturation with glowing blue/violet fringing.
>
> These flowers were in the shade but the sun was shining.
>
> Have other people seen this sort of thing?

Ya, but only when I really...really...REALLY needed to get more sleep.

That's interesting. I've seen some flower under strong light that did seem
to glow, but not with purple fringing... Did you forget you had that
inspector's black-light thingy in your pocket, perhaps?

Mike Warren

MarkČ wrote:
> That's interesting. I've seen some flower under strong light that
> did seem to glow, but not with purple fringing... Did you forget you
> had that inspector's black-light thingy in your pocket, perhaps?

Doesn't everyone carry a black light when photographing waterfalls?

-Mike

MarkČ

"Mike Warren" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:4301d23f$0$64002$(E-Mail Removed) eenews.net...
> MarkČ wrote:
>> That's interesting. I've seen some flower under strong light that
>> did seem to glow, but not with purple fringing... Did you forget you
>> had that inspector's black-light thingy in your pocket, perhaps?

> Doesn't everyone carry a black light when photographing waterfalls?

Only when looking for clues...

Bill DeWitt

Mike Warren mentioned in passing :

> Last weekend while out photographing waterfalls on the
> Atherton Tableland I saw some flowers that were fluorescing.
> I've never seen this effect before from natural objects.
>
> I took a picture not expecting the effect to show and it didn't. Here
> is the unchanged picture:

I don't know if this is related... but my lovely wife and I always wait
for that special time of late afternoon when all the flowers seem to
fluoresce. I have assumed that it was because the filtering of the
atmosphere reduced the amount of available frequencies for the greenery to
reflect, causing the flowers to seem to reflect more than their share of
light.

Perhaps water in the air near a waterfall has the same effect?

salgud

Mike Warren wrote:
> MarkČ wrote:
> > That's interesting. I've seen some flower under strong light that
> > did seem to glow, but not with purple fringing... Did you forget you
> > had that inspector's black-light thingy in your pocket, perhaps?

> Doesn't everyone carry a black light when photographing waterfalls?
>
> -Mike

Never leave home without it!

What time of day was it when you took the pic?

Mike Warren

salgud wrote:
> Mike Warren wrote:
>> MarkČ wrote:
>>> That's interesting. I've seen some flower under strong light that
>>> did seem to glow, but not with purple fringing... Did you forget
>>> you had that inspector's black-light thingy in your pocket, perhaps?

>> Doesn't everyone carry a black light when photographing waterfalls?
>>
>> -Mike

> Never leave home without it!
>
> What time of day was it when you took the pic?

2:45PM

-Mike

salgud

Mike Warren wrote:
> salgud wrote:
> > Mike Warren wrote:
> >>
> >> Doesn't everyone carry a black light when photographing waterfalls?
> >>
> >> -Mike

> > Never leave home without it!
> >
> > What time of day was it when you took the pic?

> 2:45PM
>
> -Mike

Well, that blows my theory!

BROKEN FLOWERS Goro DVD Video 6 12-26-2005 11:48 PM
Canon 50mm Macro and Flowers JoeRacquetball Digital Photography 6 10-19-2004 05:15 PM
Closeups of flowers question. Stan Digital Photography 9 07-05-2004 05:30 PM
G3 oversaturated highlights wdh@esle.net Digital Photography 3 08-23-2003 10:08 AM
Transparent flowers without backlighting? binnie Digital Photography 2 07-17-2003 07:08 PM

Advertisments