Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Mysterious Seeping Tree Blob

Reply
Thread Tools

Mysterious Seeping Tree Blob

 
 
MarkČ
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-16-2005

"Jer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
MarkČ wrote:
>> What the heck?

>
>> I found this little white blob on a sunny, dry day in the Olympic Forest.

>
>> No rain...nothing else was damp, and yet this thing sat there right
>> before my eyes...drip...drip...dripping.

>
>> What gives?
>> http://www.pbase.com/image/47771244



>Were there other blobs around? Maybe it's some sort of gall from that wood
>borer. Failing all that, I would've carved it up to see what jumped out at
>my face.


You're gonna give me nightmares...


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
BJ in Texas
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-16-2005
MarkČ <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote:
|| "John Denk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
|| news:(E-Mail Removed)...
||| On Tuesday, August 16, 2005, mjmorgan@cox..net wrote:
|||
|||| What the heck?
|||| I found this little white blob on a sunny,
|||| dry day in the Olympic Forest.
|||
|||| No rain...nothing else was damp, and yet
|||| this thing sat there right before my
|||| eyes...drip...drip...dripping.
|||
|||| What gives?
|||
|||| http://www.pbase.com/image/47771244
|||
||| Definitely a mushroom/fungus, probably in the Inonotus
||| genus. Mushrooms
||| in this genus commonly "weep" like that. A fairly common
||| species up here in the midwest is Inonotus dryadeus, found
||| on Oak wood, might be yours too.
|||
||| John
||
|| That's definitely what it LOOKED like, but I couldn't figure
|| out where all the water kept coming from. Does is suck it
|| out of the tree? It was losing a lot of water, with frequent
|| drips, and as I said...it had been quite dry there for some
|| days.
||
|| Thanks for the post, and any other curiosity satisfying...
||
|| Mark

Mushrooms are a large percentage water, it was likely giving
up some of its absorbed moisture.

BJ
--
"There are two types of idiots: those born that way - and those
that make it a profession......."


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Randall Ainsworth
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-16-2005
In article <wJlMe.2431$ct5.525@fed1read04>, MarkČ < here)@cox..net>
wrote:

> Really?
> My wife and I spent two weeks driving from Southern Cal...all the way to
> Victoria and back...along with everything in-between on the 101. Great
> trip. Mostly crummy weather for photography (bright sun, no clouds) in
> under the forest canopy...but a nice trip anyway.
>
> Where are you?


I'm in Aberdeen, about 35 miles from the Lake Quinault area. If you
came up 101, you probably drove right past my house (I'm on the main
drag).

Haven't been up to the rain forest since earlier this year but it's
always a good place for photographs.
 
Reply With Quote
 
MarkČ
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-16-2005

"Randall Ainsworth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:160820050649229728%(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <wJlMe.2431$ct5.525@fed1read04>, MarkČ < here)@cox..net>
> wrote:
>
>> Really?
>> My wife and I spent two weeks driving from Southern Cal...all the way to
>> Victoria and back...along with everything in-between on the 101. Great
>> trip. Mostly crummy weather for photography (bright sun, no clouds) in
>> under the forest canopy...but a nice trip anyway.
>>
>> Where are you?

>
> I'm in Aberdeen, about 35 miles from the Lake Quinault area. If you
> came up 101, you probably drove right past my house (I'm on the main
> drag).
>
> Haven't been up to the rain forest since earlier this year but it's
> always a good place for photographs.


Ya, except under bright sun, shooting under the canopy means there are
little blown-out hot-spots hwerever the sunbeams shine through... Pretty
well impossible to take wide undergrowth pics...

I was hoping for some nice, bright, even overcast...but never got any.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Bob Harrington
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-17-2005
MarkČ wrote:
> "Randall Ainsworth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:160820050649229728%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> In article <wJlMe.2431$ct5.525@fed1read04>, MarkČ < here)@cox..net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Really?
>>> My wife and I spent two weeks driving from Southern Cal...all the
>>> way to Victoria and back...along with everything in-between on the
>>> 101. Great trip. Mostly crummy weather for photography (bright
>>> sun, no clouds) in under the forest canopy...but a nice trip anyway.
>>>
>>> Where are you?

>>
>> I'm in Aberdeen, about 35 miles from the Lake Quinault area. If you
>> came up 101, you probably drove right past my house (I'm on the main
>> drag).
>>
>> Haven't been up to the rain forest since earlier this year but it's
>> always a good place for photographs.

>
> Ya, except under bright sun, shooting under the canopy means there are
> little blown-out hot-spots hwerever the sunbeams shine through...
> Pretty well impossible to take wide undergrowth pics...
>
> I was hoping for some nice, bright, even overcast...but never got any.


Like we've had today across western Washington... Golly, I love our
Pacific Ocean air conditioning!

Bob ^,,^


 
Reply With Quote
 
Roe Thomas
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-17-2005
I believe what you've photo of is a tree toad egg mass, at times mistaken as
frogs. Roe

"MarkČ" wrote:

> "Jer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> MarkČ wrote:
> >> What the heck?

> >
> >> I found this little white blob on a sunny, dry day in the Olympic Forest.

> >
> >> No rain...nothing else was damp, and yet this thing sat there right
> >> before my eyes...drip...drip...dripping.

> >
> >> What gives?
> >> http://www.pbase.com/image/47771244

>
> >Were there other blobs around? Maybe it's some sort of gall from that wood
> >borer. Failing all that, I would've carved it up to see what jumped out at
> >my face.

>
> You're gonna give me nightmares...


 
Reply With Quote
 
Roe Thomas
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-17-2005
I believe what you've photo of is a tree toad egg mass, at times mistaken as
frogs. Roe

"MarkČ" wrote:

> "Jer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> MarkČ wrote:
> >> What the heck?

> >
> >> I found this little white blob on a sunny, dry day in the Olympic Forest.

> >
> >> No rain...nothing else was damp, and yet this thing sat there right
> >> before my eyes...drip...drip...dripping.

> >
> >> What gives?
> >> http://www.pbase.com/image/47771244

>
> >Were there other blobs around? Maybe it's some sort of gall from that wood
> >borer. Failing all that, I would've carved it up to see what jumped out at
> >my face.

>
> You're gonna give me nightmares...


 
Reply With Quote
 
Roe Thomas
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-17-2005
I believe what you've photo of is a tree toad egg mass, at times mistaken as
frogs. Roe

"MarkČ" wrote:

> "Jer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> MarkČ wrote:
> >> What the heck?

> >
> >> I found this little white blob on a sunny, dry day in the Olympic Forest.

> >
> >> No rain...nothing else was damp, and yet this thing sat there right
> >> before my eyes...drip...drip...dripping.

> >
> >> What gives?
> >> http://www.pbase.com/image/47771244

>
> >Were there other blobs around? Maybe it's some sort of gall from that wood
> >borer. Failing all that, I would've carved it up to see what jumped out at
> >my face.

>
> You're gonna give me nightmares...


 
Reply With Quote
 
Roe Thomas
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-17-2005
I believe what you've photo of is a tree toad egg mass, at times mistaken as
frogs. Roe

"MarkČ" wrote:

> "Jer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> MarkČ wrote:
> >> What the heck?

> >
> >> I found this little white blob on a sunny, dry day in the Olympic Forest.

> >
> >> No rain...nothing else was damp, and yet this thing sat there right
> >> before my eyes...drip...drip...dripping.

> >
> >> What gives?
> >> http://www.pbase.com/image/47771244

>
> >Were there other blobs around? Maybe it's some sort of gall from that wood
> >borer. Failing all that, I would've carved it up to see what jumped out at
> >my face.

>
> You're gonna give me nightmares...


 
Reply With Quote
 
MarkČ
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-17-2005

"Bob Harrington" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> MarkČ wrote:
>> "Randall Ainsworth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:160820050649229728%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> In article <wJlMe.2431$ct5.525@fed1read04>, MarkČ < here)@cox..net>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>>> Really?
>>>> My wife and I spent two weeks driving from Southern Cal...all the
>>>> way to Victoria and back...along with everything in-between on the
>>>> 101. Great trip. Mostly crummy weather for photography (bright
>>>> sun, no clouds) in under the forest canopy...but a nice trip anyway.
>>>>
>>>> Where are you?
>>>
>>> I'm in Aberdeen, about 35 miles from the Lake Quinault area. If you
>>> came up 101, you probably drove right past my house (I'm on the main
>>> drag).
>>>
>>> Haven't been up to the rain forest since earlier this year but it's
>>> always a good place for photographs.

>>
>> Ya, except under bright sun, shooting under the canopy means there are
>> little blown-out hot-spots hwerever the sunbeams shine through... Pretty
>> well impossible to take wide undergrowth pics...
>>
>> I was hoping for some nice, bright, even overcast...but never got any.

>
> Like we've had today across western Washington... Golly, I love our
> Pacific Ocean air conditioning!


Ya...the day we had to leave the Olympic area, it started with nice
overcast.
Timing is everything, and mine wasn't there. These are things that would be
different had I been by myself. If I didn't have my wife's boredom to
contend with (though she is VERY patient), I would have stayed several days
waiting for weather, if necessary.

On the other hand...I'm lucky to haev a wife who lets me stop every 10
seconds for pictures.



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
B+ Tree versus Ternary Search Tree Ramkumar Menon Java 2 08-16-2005 08:13 PM
B+ Tree versus Ternary Search Tree Ramkumar Menon Java 0 08-16-2005 09:01 AM
Prozac seeping into Brit water supplies =?iso-8859-1?Q?=B1?= Digital Photography 36 08-22-2004 11:06 AM
B tree, B+ tree and B* tree Stub C Programming 3 11-12-2003 01:51 PM
Spanning Tree And Per Vlan Spanning Tree Amy L. Cisco 0 07-24-2003 10:01 PM



Advertisments