Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Mysterious Seeping Tree Blob

Mysterious Seeping Tree Blob

MarkČ

What the heck?

I found this little white blob on a sunny, dry day in the Olympic Forest.

No rain...nothing else was damp, and yet this thing sat there right before
my eyes...drip...drip...dripping.

What gives?
http://www.pbase.com/image/47771244

MarkČ

"MarkČ" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote in message
> What the heck?
>
> I found this little white blob on a sunny, dry day in the Olympic Forest.
>
> No rain...nothing else was damp, and yet this thing sat there right before
> my eyes...drip...drip...dripping.
>
> What gives?
> http://www.pbase.com/image/47771244

I should add that it is about two inches across...

Mike Warren

MarkČ wrote:
> "MarkČ" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote in message
>> What the heck?
>>
>> I found this little white blob on a sunny, dry day in the Olympic
>> Forest. No rain...nothing else was damp, and yet this thing sat there
>> right
>> before my eyes...drip...drip...dripping.
>>
>> What gives?
>> http://www.pbase.com/image/47771244

> I should add that it is about two inches across...

What did the liquid taste like?

-Mike

Little Green Eyed Dragon

In article <gLiMe.2405$ct5.2247@fed1read04>,
"MarkČ" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote:

> What the heck?
>
> I found this little white blob on a sunny, dry day in the Olympic Forest.
>
> No rain...nothing else was damp, and yet this thing sat there right before
> my eyes...drip...drip...dripping.
>
> What gives?
> http://www.pbase.com/image/47771244

Its a fungus, or an alien life form. Did you think to attempt tasting it.
--
Would thou choose to meet a rat eating dragon, or
a dragon, eating rat? The answer of: I am somewhere

MarkČ

"Little Green Eyed Dragon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <gLiMe.2405$ct5.2247@fed1read04>,
> "MarkČ" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote:
>
>> What the heck?
>>
>> I found this little white blob on a sunny, dry day in the Olympic Forest.
>>
>> No rain...nothing else was damp, and yet this thing sat there right
>> before
>> my eyes...drip...drip...dripping.
>>
>> What gives?
>> http://www.pbase.com/image/47771244

> Its a fungus, or an alien life form. Did you think to attempt tasting it.

I did.
It must have been poison, though, cause I died right quick...
-This is the ghost of MarkČ

Oooooo-OOOO-oooo-clank-clank...

John Denk

On Tuesday, August 16, 2005, mjmorgan@cox..net wrote:

>What the heck?
>I found this little white blob on a sunny,
> dry day in the Olympic Forest.

>No rain...nothing else was damp, and yet
> this thing sat there right before my
> eyes...drip...drip...dripping.

>What gives?

>http://www.pbase.com/image/47771244

Definitely a mushroom/fungus, probably in the Inonotus genus. Mushrooms
in this genus commonly "weep" like that. A fairly common species up here
in the midwest is Inonotus dryadeus, found on Oak wood, might be yours
too.

John

Visit my web pages, Mushrooms of the Chicago Region at:
http://community.webtv.net/Mycofan/Mushroomsofthe , also my fractal
art page at http://community.webtv.net/Inspiring2/MyDigitalArt

Randall Ainsworth

In article <gLiMe.2405$ct5.2247@fed1read04>, MarkČ < here)@cox..net>
wrote:

> What the heck?
>
> I found this little white blob on a sunny, dry day in the Olympic Forest.
>
> No rain...nothing else was damp, and yet this thing sat there right before
> my eyes...drip...drip...dripping.
>
> What gives?

What are you doing in my neck of the woods?

Jer

MarkČ wrote:
> What the heck?
>
> I found this little white blob on a sunny, dry day in the Olympic Forest.
>
> No rain...nothing else was damp, and yet this thing sat there right before
> my eyes...drip...drip...dripping.
>
> What gives?
> http://www.pbase.com/image/47771244

Were there other blobs around? Maybe it's some sort of gall from that
wood borer. Failing all that, I would've carved it up to see what
jumped out at my face.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

MarkČ

"Randall Ainsworth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:160820050606213044%(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <gLiMe.2405$ct5.2247@fed1read04>, MarkČ < here)@cox..net>
> wrote:
>
>> What the heck?
>>
>> I found this little white blob on a sunny, dry day in the Olympic Forest.
>>
>> No rain...nothing else was damp, and yet this thing sat there right
>> before
>> my eyes...drip...drip...dripping.
>>
>> What gives?

> What are you doing in my neck of the woods?

Really?
My wife and I spent two weeks driving from Southern Cal...all the way to
Victoria and back...along with everything in-between on the 101. Great
trip. Mostly crummy weather for photography (bright sun, no clouds) in
under the forest canopy...but a nice trip anyway.

Where are you?

MarkČ

"John Denk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tuesday, August 16, 2005, mjmorgan@cox..net wrote:
>
>>What the heck?
>>I found this little white blob on a sunny,
>> dry day in the Olympic Forest.

>>No rain...nothing else was damp, and yet
>> this thing sat there right before my
>> eyes...drip...drip...dripping.

>>What gives?

>>http://www.pbase.com/image/47771244

> Definitely a mushroom/fungus, probably in the Inonotus genus. Mushrooms
> in this genus commonly "weep" like that. A fairly common species up here
> in the midwest is Inonotus dryadeus, found on Oak wood, might be yours
> too.
>
> John

That's definitely what it LOOKED like, but I couldn't figure out where all
the water kept coming from. Does is suck it out of the tree? It was losing
a lot of water, with frequent drips, and as I said...it had been quite dry
there for some days.

Thanks for the post, and any other curiosity satisfying...

Mark