Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > MTF charts for Nikkor lenses

MTF charts for Nikkor lenses

David J Taylor

David J. Littleboy wrote:
[]
>> http://www.nikon-image.com/jpn/produ...s/af/index.htm

> You found it. Just click through to the lens you want to see. The MTF
> chart is at the bottom of the page. (They only give the MTF wide
> open, something one sees surprisingly often in Japanese tech
> literature.)

Are these theoretical or measured MTFs?

David

Norman

On 16 Aug 2005 09:29:32 -0700, "Bill Hilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Can anyone point me to websites that show MTF charts for Nikkor
>>lenses please?

>Supposedly available on this Nikon Japanese site but I can't read
>Japanese so can't tell you which link to click on ... maybe someone can
>tell us which link to use for MTF charts?
>
>http://www.nikon-image.com/jpn/produ...s/af/index.htm

Try this instead.
http://babelfish.altavista.com/babel...s/af/index.htm

It's not the best, as the headings & menu items are images, rather than
translatable text. However, it's a little easier this way, as you do get some
english. The url goes to AF lenses, so you can just click on Wide, Standard or
Tele from there. If you look on the left, you'll see DX, AF, MF, so you can
click on the lens technology(?) there.

The translation isn't perfect, but it should be understandable.

- ---
Norman
Please reply via group. E-mail ID does not exist.

David J. Littleboy

"David J Taylor"
<(E-Mail Removed)-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid> wrote in
message news:l2uMe.90385$(E-Mail Removed). uk...
> David J. Littleboy wrote:
> []
>>> http://www.nikon-image.com/jpn/produ...s/af/index.htm

>> You found it. Just click through to the lens you want to see. The MTF
>> chart is at the bottom of the page. (They only give the MTF wide
>> open, something one sees surprisingly often in Japanese tech
>> literature.)

> Are these theoretical or measured MTFs?

(Obigatory quibble: You mean "Are those _calculated from the design_ or
measured MTFs?")

It doesn't say.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

David J Taylor

David J. Littleboy wrote:
> "David J Taylor"

[]
>> Are these theoretical or measured MTFs?

> (Obigatory quibble: You mean "Are those _calculated from the design_
> or measured MTFs?")
>
> It doesn't say.
>
> David J. Littleboy
> Tokyo, Japan

theoretical - "Describing an idea which is part of a theory, or a
consequence derived from theory." (from:
http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/glossary.htm). So I reckon if you design
something, and optical theory is part of that design process, then what
you get is a theoretical MTF.

I would be quite happy with the word "predicted" though.

I would guess that both Canon's and Nikon's MTF data is "predicted", and
that they will have some production limits against which a sample or
production units are tested.

Cheers,
David

deryck lant

The message <(E-Mail Removed)>
from Christopher Yeung <(E-Mail Removed)> contains these words:

> Can anyone point me to websites that show MTF charts for Nikkor lenses
> please?

Here are lots of Nikkor lens info and review sites:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=14644581
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=14644592

Deryck