Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > What insect is this?

What insect is this?

Jer

Mark˛ wrote:
> "Jer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Mark˛ wrote:
>
>>"Mark˛" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote in message
>>

>>>Does anyone know?
>>>http://www.pbase.com/image/47753652
>>>(The splotches on the right are spots on the window of my vehicle--where I
>>>found this guy...in Northern California).
>>>
>>>I think he looks like a Japanese Monster Movie character.
>>>Interesting eye shape...
>>>
>>>Anyone?
>>>
>>>-Mark

>>Here's another view..
>>This one was shot THROUGH the dirty window glass on my vehicle...so a
>>little gunky--
>>http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/47757530
>>

> Look like some flavor of a mature wood borer.
>
> By Jove, I think you've got it!
>
> Have a look at the first picture on this page (scroll down a bit).
> -Looks very similar, though different, less interesting color.
>
> Mark

The yellow & black model I've seen around here is otherwise real similar
in other respects. And often spell doom for the tree they hatched from.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

Mark˛

Mark˛ wrote:
> "Jer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Mark˛ wrote:
>
>>"Mark˛" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote in message
>>

>>>Does anyone know?
>>>http://www.pbase.com/image/47753652
>>>(The splotches on the right are spots on the window of my vehicle--where
>>>I found this guy...in Northern California).
>>>
>>>I think he looks like a Japanese Monster Movie character.
>>>Interesting eye shape...
>>>
>>>Anyone?
>>>
>>>-Mark

>>Here's another view..
>>This one was shot THROUGH the dirty window glass on my vehicle...so a
>>little gunky--
>>http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/47757530
>>

> Look like some flavor of a mature wood borer.
>
> By Jove, I think you've got it!
>
> Have a look at the first picture on this page (scroll down a bit).
> -Looks very similar, though different, less interesting color.
>
> Mark

The yellow & black model I've seen around here is otherwise real similar
in other respects. And often spell doom for the tree they hatched from.
----------------------

-Guess I should have squished him.
Actually, I went to get a container to capture him, but he flew right into
my face...and boy did I jump!

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

(PeteCresswell)

Per "Mark˛" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net>:
>Interesting eye shape...

Is that "100mm" a regular lens or a macro lens?

i.e. Should I aspire to such detail using my D70s and it's 18-70mm zoom lens?

--
PeteCresswell

ASAAR

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 20:05:41 -0700, "Mark˛" <mjmorgan(lowest even
number here)@cox..net> wrote:

> The yellow & black model I've seen around here is otherwise real similar
> in other respects. And often spell doom for the tree they hatched from.
> ----------------------
>
> -Guess I should have squished him.
> Actually, I went to get a container to capture him, but he flew right into
> my face...and boy did I jump!
>

> --
> jer
> email reply - I am not a 'ten'

Your past messages quoted properly and also recognized signature
delimiters. Did OE break or have you modified its operation, or are
you now manually copying and pasting followup text?

Mark˛

"ASAAR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 20:05:41 -0700, "Mark˛" <mjmorgan(lowest even
> number here)@cox..net> wrote:
>
>> The yellow & black model I've seen around here is otherwise real similar
>> in other respects. And often spell doom for the tree they hatched from.
>> ----------------------
>>
>> -Guess I should have squished him.
>> Actually, I went to get a container to capture him, but he flew right
>> into
>> my face...and boy did I jump!
>>

>> --
>> jer
>> email reply - I am not a 'ten'

> Your past messages quoted properly and also recognized signature
> delimiters. Did OE break or have you modified its operation, or are
> you now manually copying and pasting followup text?

OE quotes properly (with the ">") 99.9% of the time.
Every once in a while, I run into a post from someone where responding to
them doesn't generate the ">". -Hate when that happens, but don't know what
the trigger is that causes it.

I may have stuck them in on that one to avoid confusion.

ASAAR

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 22:53:32 -0700, "Mark˛" <mjmorgan(lowest even
number here)@cox..net> wrote:

>>> --
>>> jer
>>> email reply - I am not a 'ten'

>> Your past messages quoted properly and also recognized signature
>> delimiters. Did OE break or have you modified its operation, or are
>> you now manually copying and pasting followup text?

> OE quotes properly (with the ">") 99.9% of the time.
> Every once in a while, I run into a post from someone where responding to
> them doesn't generate the ">". -Hate when that happens, but don't know what
> the trigger is that causes it.

I never would have mentioned munged quotes since they're so
common. It was jer's signature at the bottom of your post that
caught my eye. The only way my newsreader could do that is if I
accidentally selected all of the text before instructing it to
reply. When nothing is selected, all text other than headers and
signatures are quoted. 99.9% of the time I manually highlight the
appropriate text, and then only that part is quoted. But I assume
this has nothing to do with what happened in your case since proper
quoting didn't occur. I've never used OE, but wonder if it has
options similar to what I've seen in Eudora, which has text editing
commands to "paste" as well as "paste quoted".

Bubbabob

Jer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Look like some flavor of a mature wood borer.

My thoughts, too.