Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > A question about Canon IS lenses.

A question about Canon IS lenses.

Eatmorepies

I am thinking of buying the 300mm f4L IS lens. I have heard that there is a
delay of up to 0.5s before the shutter fires to allow the IS system to get
up to speed. Is this true? I don't want to lose the advantage of the DSLR's
swift response.

Thanks

John

Jim Townsend

Eatmorepies wrote:

> I am thinking of buying the 300mm f4L IS lens. I have heard that there is a
> delay of up to 0.5s before the shutter fires to allow the IS system to get
> up to speed. Is this true? I don't want to lose the advantage of the DSLR's
> swift response.

I'm sure there's time involved, but it's not long.. IS takes place
in about the same time it takes to focus.. I've never really noticed
the delay.

I don't know of many people that can whip a camera up to their
eye and instantly shoot when using a 300mm lens

With long focal lengths there is some time involved in acquiring
the subject and then framing. I doing the shutter half-press to
get things in focus and stabilized during this time.

eawckyegcy@yahoo.com

Eatmorepies wrote:

> I am thinking of buying the 300mm f4L IS lens. I have heard that there is a
> delay of up to 0.5s before the shutter fires to allow the IS system to get
> up to speed. Is this true? I don't want to lose the advantage of the DSLR's
> swift response.

Assuming the effect is true, you have options:

a) don't buy the lens
b) buy the lens, but disable the IS

In both cases, you 'don't [...] lose the advantage of the DSLR's swift
response' (which sounds like a re-worded marketing blurb than anything
else); what more do you need?

However, as far as I can tell, you are the first to complain of this
'problem'; indeed, my own personal experience with two instances of
Canon's IS binoculars, an EF 500/4 and the 300/4 lenses indicates your
un-named source is either totally ignorant of the equipment (to wit:
the delay isn't worth worrying about), or was just pulling your leg.
Alas, USENET being what it is, we have The Bayesian Prior: _you_ are
just pulling our legs until you cite your source.

Colin D

Eatmorepies wrote:

> I am thinking of buying the 300mm f4L IS lens. I have heard that there is a
> delay of up to 0.5s before the shutter fires to allow the IS system to get
> up to speed. Is this true? I don't want to lose the advantage of the DSLR's
> swift response.
>
> Thanks
>
> John

The IS starts operating when you take a half-pressure to activate the
autofocus, and works continuously until you release the trigger. On my
17-85mm IS, the IS takes less than 1/4 second to start, and unless you
are taking an absolute grab shot as fast as possible, you won't notice
any lag at all. Under the usual shooting conditions, for me at least, I
have a half-pressure on the trigger while framing and focusing, and
firing is practically instantaneous when I shoot. Half a second after
you release the trigger, you can hear the IS stop.

Possiblt the 300mm is slower than the 17-85, but with regards to the
above I don't think it would be a problem.

Colin D.

Alan

"Eatmorepies" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am thinking of buying the 300mm f4L IS lens. I have heard that there is

> delay of up to 0.5s before the shutter fires to allow the IS system to get
> up to speed. Is this true? I don't want to lose the advantage of the

DSLR's
> swift response.
>
> Thanks
>
> John

I have 2 IS lenses. While there is a tiny amount of time for the IS system
to get going, it is un-noticable, and it stays running all the time the
shutter is half pressed (focusng) and for a few seconds afterwards. In any
case it does NOT cause any delay to the camera to take a shot between
pressing the shutter and it actually firing.
The time taken to focus (manually or auto) is far longer in comparison.

IS is damn good!

Alan.

MarkČ

"Eatmorepies" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am thinking of buying the 300mm f4L IS lens. I have heard that there is a
>delay of up to 0.5s before the shutter fires to allow the IS system to get
>up to speed. Is this true? I don't want to lose the advantage of the DSLR's
>swift response.
>
> Thanks
>
> John

The delay is far less than one half second.
I'd estimate about 1/5th of a second.

Also...when shooting action, most people have the shutter half-pressed well
before the actual exposure, which means the IS is whirring all along.

Skip M

"Eatmorepies" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am thinking of buying the 300mm f4L IS lens. I have heard that there is a
>delay of up to 0.5s before the shutter fires to allow the IS system to get
>up to speed. Is this true? I don't want to lose the advantage of the DSLR's
>swift response.
>
> Thanks
>
> John

It takes about a half second, or less from the time the IS is first turned
on for it to kick in. Once it is turned on, it's nearly instantaneous from
that point on, for subsequent shots.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

MarkČ

"Skip M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> "Eatmorepies" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I am thinking of buying the 300mm f4L IS lens. I have heard that there is
>>a delay of up to 0.5s before the shutter fires to allow the IS system to
>>get up to speed. Is this true? I don't want to lose the advantage of the
>>DSLR's swift response.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> John
>>

> It takes about a half second, or less from the time the IS is first turned
> on for it to kick in. Once it is turned on, it's nearly instantaneous
> from that point on, for subsequent shots.

Hey Skip...
Have you heard about the likely Canon 24-105 f4 *IS* L???
Had I seen this offering, I might have held off on the 24-70...

Seems my prediction wasn't too far off...

Skip M

"MarkČ" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote in message

> "Skip M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> "Eatmorepies" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I am thinking of buying the 300mm f4L IS lens. I have heard that there is
>>>a delay of up to 0.5s before the shutter fires to allow the IS system to
>>>get up to speed. Is this true? I don't want to lose the advantage of the
>>>DSLR's swift response.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> John
>>>

>> It takes about a half second, or less from the time the IS is first
>> turned on for it to kick in. Once it is turned on, it's nearly
>> instantaneous from that point on, for subsequent shots.

> Hey Skip...
> Have you heard about the likely Canon 24-105 f4 *IS* L???
> Had I seen this offering, I might have held off on the 24-70...
>
> Seems my prediction wasn't too far off...

I just did hear about it. It wouldn't have dissuaded me from getting the
24-70, though, I needed that f2.8. I'm looking at it as a secondary lens,
though. We were going to buy a second 28-70, this might do the trick,
instead...
It figures, though, like we both said...

--

Eatmorepies wrote:
> I am thinking of buying the 300mm f4L IS lens. I have heard that there is a
> delay of up to 0.5s before the shutter fires to allow the IS system to get
> up to speed. Is this true? I don't want to lose the advantage of the DSLR's
> swift response.

I have this lens, as well as 500 f/4 L IS,
100-400 L IS, and 28-135 IS. I done a lot of action shots
with it on 10D and 1D Mark II bodies, and I have never
had an issue with startup time on any of the
IS lenses, and with tens of thousands of images.
I have had issues with autofocus not being able to
lock on and follow very fast and erratic action of
animals, even with the 1D Mark II, and this is with both
the 300 and 500 f/4 L IS lenses. The 1D Mark II is also
much much MUCH faster than the 10D. When I use the 10D
the response seems sluggish compared to the 1D II
(like a P&S feels sluggish after using a DSLR).

Roger
Images at: http://www.clarkvision.com