Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon 5D???

Canon 5D???

David J. Littleboy

"Joseph Meehan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> It may not be what you need but the 10-22mm does a great job for me.
> Frankly I doubt if I would have bought the 20D if it were not available.

It's not wide enough: http://www.pbase.com/davidjl/image/47227687/large

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

wilt

>FWIW, Nikon seems to be competing on something other than megapixels. I had
>the chance to shoot a friend's D70 and was quite impressed. Of course I
>then went out and bought a 20D.

I had a chance to shoot with my son-in-law's D70, was quite impressed,
then went out and bought a 20D, too!!!

--Wilt

wilt

> It seems to imply that they've captured
> some other mystical quality, and yet you passed it over for the 20D. ??

In my case, the D70 proved that shutter lag was gone and that 6Mpixel
was darned good. But I shoot professionally on occasion, and have need
for a camera with PC connection for studio flash (but cannot justify to
myself spending $8k on a single camera body, for the 1Ds MkII!) and as
low noise as possible and with more pixels, so the 20D was a better
choice for me.

--Wilt

David J. Littleboy

"wilt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>> It seems to imply that they've captured
>> some other mystical quality, and yet you passed it over for the 20D.
>> ??

> In my case, the D70 proved that shutter lag was gone and that 6Mpixel
> was darned good. But I shoot professionally on occasion, and have need
> for a camera with PC connection for studio flash (but cannot justify to
> myself spending $8k on a single camera body, for the 1Ds MkII!) and as
> low noise as possible and with more pixels, so the 20D was a better
> choice for me.

For 39 cents you can get a flash mount to PC converter...

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Brian Baird

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> ,
> Contax never ignored the full frame sensor and look what happened to them.

That was... CONTAX.
--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird

Dave R knows who

"GTO" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newswULe.634$(E-Mail Removed). ..
>I am probably a few days behind on this one. But how real is the Canon 5D?
>See http://news.techwhack.com/1878/canon...ally-unveiled/
>
> A full-format CMOS chip with 13 MPixels for around US$3500, doesn't sound
> bad at all.

Too much freaking money! I wish it was closer to $2500.

Frank ess

Dave R knows who wrote:
> "GTO" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newswULe.634$(E-Mail Removed). ..
>> I am probably a few days behind on this one. But how real is the
>> Canon 5D? See
>> http://news.techwhack.com/1878/canon...ally-unveiled/ A
>> full-format CMOS chip with 13 MPixels for around US$3500, doesn't
>> sound bad at all.

> Too much freaking money! I wish it was closer to $2500.

One thing it seems to mean is..

Buy More Cards.

Or a big-volume quick-download device.

Arrggghhhhhh.

winhag@yahoo.com

Let's hope, who knows what the actual price will be. I still believe
that Canon might bring it in lower (than $3500, maybe below $3k) to
keep it's price away from the 1D professional cameras. And who knows
what the 1DMkIIN will be? maybe same sensor as 5D but with high frame
rate and all the other pro bells and whistles. If Canon did that, than
they would have to bring the 5D in at a significanltly lower cost. Who
knows we will just have to wait and see.

MarkČ

"Frank ess" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dave R knows who wrote:
>> "GTO" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> newswULe.634$(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>> I am probably a few days behind on this one. But how real is the
>>> Canon 5D? See
>>> http://news.techwhack.com/1878/canon...ally-unveiled/ A
>>> full-format CMOS chip with 13 MPixels for around US$3500, doesn't
>>> sound bad at all.

>> Too much freaking money! I wish it was closer to $2500.

> One thing it seems to mean is..
>
> Buy More Cards.
>
> Or a big-volume quick-download device.
>
> Arrggghhhhhh.

It's not as bad as it seems. Consider this:
When I bought my D30 (100 digital-years ago in 2000), my 1GB microdrive cost
around $400 (still works every day, too, BTW). Now a 1GB *solid state* card
(which wasn't even available at that time) can be had for around $70-$90.
This means we're on a fairly even keel with 2000 in terms of storage cost
per image, since the D30's 3.25MP creates almost exactly 1/4th the file size
image that the 5D likely will. With these figures, it becomes clear that
cost-per image--**even at such high res** is about the same, or even
cheaper.

Now doesn't that just brighten your day?

Heck...If we stay with the Microdrive comparison, you can get about 4GB for
less than half what 1GB cost then. That's 8 times cheaper byte for byte,
and yet the images are only 4 times bigger.
-By now you should be giddy with laughter...
Woo-hoo!! -Let's go blow 5 grand!

Mark

Brian Baird

In article <wiVMe.2945$ct5.1509@fed1read04>, "MarkČ" <mjmorgan(lowest
even number here)@cox..net> says...
> Now a 1GB *solid state* card
> (which wasn't even available at that time) can be had for around $70-$90.

More like $50-60. Newegg, baby!

I don't buy the fast stuff - no need, the 10D couldn't use it anyhoo.
--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird