Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > I support Project Bore Snake

I support Project Bore Snake

Gary L. Burnore

Do it for the troops!

http://ProjectBoreSnake.org/

MarkČ

"Gary L. Burnore" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Do it for the troops!
>
> http://ProjectBoreSnake.org/

What a scam.

That's one of the most pathetic sales pitches I've ever seen.
Sell a pile of gun-cleaning stuff under the guise of charity.

If they are sooo needed, why don't they contract with the US government?
Answer? They've got gun-cleaning covered already.

Colin Campbell

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 21:18:06 -0700, "MarkČ" <mjmorgan(lowest even
number here)@cox..net> wrote:

>If they are sooo needed, why don't they contract with the US government?
>Answer? They've got gun-cleaning covered already.

And if the stuff actually met military specifications - the stuff
would be available through the military supply system.

--
There can be no triumph without loss.
No victory without suffering.

rickb308@yahoo.com

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 21:28:48 -0700, Colin Campbell
<(E-Mail Removed) (remove underscore)> wrote:

>On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 21:18:06 -0700, "MarkČ" <mjmorgan(lowest even
>number here)@cox..net> wrote:
>

>>If they are sooo needed, why don't they contract with the US government?
>>Answer? They've got gun-cleaning covered already.

>And if the stuff actually met military specifications - the stuff
>would be available through the military supply system.

There's a lot of stuff that meets mil-spec that the troops don't
have. It's called cost. Ever hear of lowest bidder?

It's the reason Altima has the boot contract instead of Danner.

Altima @ $69.95 vs. Danner Ft. Lewis @ $229.00.

Whomever vs. Blackhawk or Eagle Industries.

Most of Blackhawk DOES have the mil-spec numbers.

It's just not bought for the everyday line troops.

Rick Bowen
TSRA Life Member
lex talionis.

Colin Campbell

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 06:04:22 -0500, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>>And if the stuff actually met military specifications - the stuff
>>would be available through the military supply system.

>There's a lot of stuff that meets mil-spec that the troops don't
>have. It's called cost. Ever hear of lowest bidder?

Ever hear of Fedlog? If it has been approved then the supply sergeant
can order it.

>It's the reason Altima has the boot contract instead of Danner.

Actually the boots are made to a design specified by the government.
They are made by several different companies.

BTW, Danner/Matterhorn boots are CIF issue for cold weather
environments.

--
There can be no triumph without loss.
No victory without suffering.
No freedom without sacrifice.

Bill Funk

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 06:17:43 -0700, Colin Campbell
<(E-Mail Removed) (remove underscore)> wrote:

>On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 06:04:22 -0500, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>

>>>And if the stuff actually met military specifications - the stuff
>>>would be available through the military supply system.

>>There's a lot of stuff that meets mil-spec that the troops don't
>>have. It's called cost. Ever hear of lowest bidder?

>Ever hear of Fedlog? If it has been approved then the supply sergeant
>can order it.

Approved by whom?
DOD or the manufacturer?
Obviously, if the DOD approves an item for purchase, it can be
purchased.
Does a mere adherance to milspec guarantee approval by the DOD?
--
Bill Funk
funktionality.blogspot.com

Gunner

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 21:28:48 -0700, Colin Campbell
<(E-Mail Removed) (remove underscore)> wrote:

>On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 21:18:06 -0700, "MarkČ" <mjmorgan(lowest even
>number here)@cox..net> wrote:
>

>>If they are sooo needed, why don't they contract with the US government?
>>Answer? They've got gun-cleaning covered already.

>And if the stuff actually met military specifications - the stuff
>would be available through the military supply system.

Like all the FRS radios that went to Iraq? All the Camelback
hydration units that were privately bought? Leatherman multi-tools?

The 5 sniper veils and wind meters that I sent?

<snip long list>

Gunner

Colin Campbell

Gunner:
>Like all the FRS radios that went to Iraq? All the Camelback
>hydration units that were privately bought? Leatherman multi-tools?

You mean the non-Milspec Camelbacks that would start leaking within a
month of field use?

FYI, I was issued a Camelback that was made to Mil-spec (basically
stronger and more durable components) and a Leatherman prior to
deploying to Iraq. Unlike the civilian versions, mine made it through
a complete tour of duty and I am still using it today.

And when I was in Iraq FRS radios were being confiscated because of
safety and security issues.

Gunner

On 15 Aug 2005 13:30:37 -0700, "Colin Campbell"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Gunner:
>>Like all the FRS radios that went to Iraq? All the Camelback
>>hydration units that were privately bought? Leatherman multi-tools?

>You mean the non-Milspec Camelbacks that would start leaking within a
>month of field use?

Did all of them? And how long did it take for the Milspec versions to
arrive?

>FYI, I was issued a Camelback that was made to Mil-spec (basically
>stronger and more durable components) and a Leatherman prior to
>deploying to Iraq. Unlike the civilian versions, mine made it through
>a complete tour of duty and I am still using it today.

Good for you. My 4 yr old non milspec has lasted marvelously though
duty nearly as tough. Shrug.

>And when I was in Iraq FRS radios were being confiscated because of
>safety and security issues.

And how long was that after the fact, and what replaced them?

Gunner

Colin Campbell

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 23:35:20 GMT, Gunner <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On 15 Aug 2005 13:30:37 -0700, "Colin Campbell"
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Gunner:
>>>Like all the FRS radios that went to Iraq? All the Camelback
>>>hydration units that were privately bought? Leatherman multi-tools?

>>You mean the non-Milspec Camelbacks that would start leaking within a
>>month of field use?

>Did all of them? And how long did it take for the Milspec versions to
>arrive?

All of them that saw field use. The people on OIF 1 had purchased the
'civilian' versions before they went over. As a result of the
experience with them the US Army offered to buy 250,000 _if_ specific
design changes were made to improve durability. Initially the
Camelback people said 'no' - until the Army made the same offer to
their competitor. The Camelback company did the math (250,000 x $20)
and revamped their production line so that all of their products met
the specification.

When I went on OIF 2, the modified Camelback was part of the MOLLE-2
system.

>Good for you. My 4 yr old non milspec has lasted marvelously though
>duty nearly as tough. Shrug.

Really? How much time did it spend squashed between an unpadded seat
back and a SAPI plate in a vehicle traveling over poorly maintained
roads?

If yours has been around for 4 years than it has not seen duty 'nearly
as tough' as battlefield usage.

>>And when I was in Iraq FRS radios were being confiscated because of
>>safety and security issues.

>And how long was that after the fact, and what replaced them?

Generally as soon as the Sigint people identified the users. One of
the favorite tricks of the Sigint people was to provide transcripts of
FRS radio conversations and tell commanders: "This is what the enemy
now knows about your unit and your operations."

This is why troops are being issued _secure_ short-range radios.

BTW, since many IEDs operate on FRS frequencies using one can endanger
the lives of EOD personnel.