Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Windows - Browsing across vlans and also DC's on separate vlans

Windows - Browsing across vlans and also DC's on separate vlans

punisher

I have 2 windows 2003 dc's that are also dns servers and are on
separate vlans.

I am having browser issues and also netlogon errors.

I suspect I need to do something on the switch but I am not sure what.
It is s a cisco 2548g switch.

Harkin

Is this a new problem or an ongoing one? As long as you don't have that
traffic filtered via ACL then you shouldn't have to do anything. Can you
post the config of the two VLANs?

"punisher" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I have 2 windows 2003 dc's that are also dns servers and are on
> separate vlans.
>
> I am having browser issues and also netlogon errors.
>
> I suspect I need to do something on the switch but I am not sure what.
> It is s a cisco 2548g switch.

Charles Deling

Assuming both DC's are for the same domain -
1. Verify that the DHCP server is giving out the IP address of BOTH the
DC's for DNS servers. (All to often I see DHCP servers handing out DNS
servers that are outside of the network)
2. If your client machines are pre-Win2K (i.e. Win 95, 98 or NT) install
the WINS service on both DC's. Also in that case, make sure the DHCP
server is handing out the IP address of BOTH DC's as WINS servers
3. Check the event logs on both DC's and make sure that replication is
running properly on both the SAM and the DNS between the two servers. If
not, fix that first.
4. As the DC's are on separate VLANS, are you routing all protocols
between the two VLANS or are you doing some packet filtering with the
router. If you are doing filtering with the router, refer to item 3 above.

(If the DC's are for different domains the list gets longer)