Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Which router do I use?

Which router do I use?

notkailen

I have installed a T3 in our new office and while it is in the test
environment I have it on a Cisco 2620 Router /32MB. I can get the T3 to
about 40% before the router overloads and starts dropping a ton of
packets. I knew I would need to get a new router to use the full T3 but
I am getting a lot of conflicting opinions from sales people.

My original plan was to use a Cisco 2851 and use the T3 a T1 and 1FastE
port. There will only be static routing so there will be little
overhead. If a T3 is about 80K PPS and the 2851 is rated at 250K PPS
then I should be able to use the 2851 at full speed and even add
another T3 when necessary as long as I don't plan to use the router
for anything else. But every Cisco rep I have spoken to tells me I need
a 3800 series and that if I don't get a 3845 I'm asking for trouble.

If the 2620 gets me almost half way and routers have improved
significantly since then why can't I just use the 2851?

Is this a lot of Sales FUD or am I missing something here?

Thanks,

Brian V

"notkailen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>I have installed a T3 in our new office and while it is in the test
> environment I have it on a Cisco 2620 Router /32MB. I can get the T3 to
> about 40% before the router overloads and starts dropping a ton of
> packets. I knew I would need to get a new router to use the full T3 but
> I am getting a lot of conflicting opinions from sales people.
>
> My original plan was to use a Cisco 2851 and use the T3 a T1 and 1FastE
> port. There will only be static routing so there will be little
> overhead. If a T3 is about 80K PPS and the 2851 is rated at 250K PPS
> then I should be able to use the 2851 at full speed and even add
> another T3 when necessary as long as I don't plan to use the router
> for anything else. But every Cisco rep I have spoken to tells me I need
> a 3800 series and that if I don't get a 3845 I'm asking for trouble.
>
> If the 2620 gets me almost half way and routers have improved
> significantly since then why can't I just use the 2851?
>
> Is this a lot of Sales FUD or am I missing something here?
>
> Thanks,
>
> (E-Mail Removed)

The PPS in the spec's are NOT a full size data packet. I believe they
base it on around an 80bit packet.
You should use a minimum of a 3800.

rdelvaux@gmail.com

Brian V a écrit :

> "notkailen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> >I have installed a T3 in our new office and while it is in the test
> > environment I have it on a Cisco 2620 Router /32MB. I can get the T3 to
> > about 40% before the router overloads and starts dropping a ton of
> > packets. I knew I would need to get a new router to use the full T3 but
> > I am getting a lot of conflicting opinions from sales people.
> >
> > My original plan was to use a Cisco 2851 and use the T3 a T1 and 1FastE
> > port. There will only be static routing so there will be little
> > overhead. If a T3 is about 80K PPS and the 2851 is rated at 250K PPS
> > then I should be able to use the 2851 at full speed and even add
> > another T3 when necessary as long as I don't plan to use the router
> > for anything else. But every Cisco rep I have spoken to tells me I need
> > a 3800 series and that if I don't get a 3845 I'm asking for trouble.
> >
> > If the 2620 gets me almost half way and routers have improved
> > significantly since then why can't I just use the 2851?
> >
> > Is this a lot of Sales FUD or am I missing something here?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > (E-Mail Removed)
> >

> The PPS in the spec's are NOT a full size data packet. I believe they
> base it on around an 80bit packet.
> You should use a minimum of a 3800.

it's 64bits packets

Sam Wilson

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Brian V a écrit :
>
> > The PPS in the spec's are NOT a full size data packet. I believe they
> > base it on around an 80bit packet.

> it's 64bits packets

64 byte packets, surely.

Sam

thatoneguy

Have to agree min. of a 3800. I would recommend a 3845 for a DS3.