Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Nikon D70 questions

Nikon D70 questions

Bob Allison

I received my D70 yesterday. Love it so far. Big step over my Epson-3000
I bought in 2001.

I have a question (first of many I'm sure)

1. When I turn off the camera the remaining exposures stays on. Is this
normal?

I have a couple others pertaining to battery life but will hold off until
I have a chance to find answers on the web.

TIA for advise

bob

--
Rap is to music what Etch-a-Sketch is to art.

Bob
in Carmel, CA

Joe Makowiec

On 11 Aug 2005 in rec.photo.digital, Bob Allison wrote:

> 1. When I turn off the camera the remaining exposures stays on. Is
> this normal?

Yes. The picture count shows unless there's no battery in the camera.

--
Joe Makowiec
http://makowiec.org/

wavelength

Yes this is normal. And a highly desired and bitched about feature if
it is left off of a DSLR I gather. (often)

Rita Berkowitz

Bob Allison wrote:

> I received my D70 yesterday. Love it so far. Big step over my
> Epson-3000 I bought in 2001.

You'll love the D70 since it's a great camera. The only problem you will
have is getting addicted to buying an assortment of lenses and an SB800
flash.

> I have a question (first of many I'm sure)
>
> 1. When I turn off the camera the remaining exposures stays on. Is
> this normal?

Yes.

> I have a couple others pertaining to battery life but will hold off
> until I have a chance to find answers on the web.

Battery life is so long that you'll be taking hundreds of shots and still be
wondering if it will ever run out.

Rita

Bob Allison

In article <Xns96AFC0FFCBB53makowiecatnycapdotrE@24.24.2.167> ,
Joe Makowiec <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > 1. When I turn off the camera the remaining exposures stays on. Is
> > this normal?

> Yes. The picture count shows unless there's no battery in the camera.

Thanks ,Joe, I will sleep easier now.

bob

--
Rap is to music what Etch-a-Sketch is to art.

Bob
in Carmel, CA

Bob Allison

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Rita Berkowitz" <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:

> > I have a couple others pertaining to battery life but will hold off
> > until I have a chance to find answers on the web.

> Battery life is so long that you'll be taking hundreds of shots and still be
> wondering if it will ever run out.

You've been reading my mind. That was one of my battery questions. The
other is:
Should I wait until the battery is almost empty to recharge it (as in the
case of Ni Cad) or can I just top it off (as in NiMH)?

Thanks again

bob

--
Rap is to music what Etch-a-Sketch is to art.

Bob
in Carmel, CA

Ben Brugman

Also the viewfinder stays 'on'.
(If the battery is removed the viewfinder becomes a bit darker).
I read somewhere 'off' is 2 ma.
On (with the meter and display off) is 3 ma.

So you actually do not have to switch of to conserve power.
Pressing the release button halfway switches of the display and
that is a way of conserving power.

have fun with your new 'toy'.

ben brugman

"Bob Allison" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> In article <Xns96AFC0FFCBB53makowiecatnycapdotrE@24.24.2.167> ,
> Joe Makowiec <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > > 1. When I turn off the camera the remaining exposures stays on. Is
> > > this normal?

> > Yes. The picture count shows unless there's no battery in the camera.

> Thanks ,Joe, I will sleep easier now.
>
> bob
>
> --
> Rap is to music what Etch-a-Sketch is to art.
>
> Bob
> in Carmel, CA

frederick

Rita Berkowitz wrote:
> Bob Allison wrote:

>>I have a couple others pertaining to battery life but will hold off
>>until I have a chance to find answers on the web.

> Battery life is so long that you'll be taking hundreds of shots and still be
> wondering if it will ever run out.

It's so long that I end up forgetting about it completely for days or
weeks. However, when the first little bit of the battery icon goes,
then it goes down quite rapidly until dead. A spare battery is quite
essential. I've had no problems with a cheap aftermarket one. One
spare seems enough - they recharge very quickly.

Rita Berkowitz

Bob Allison wrote:

> You've been reading my mind. That was one of my battery questions.
> The other is:
> Should I wait until the battery is almost empty to recharge it (as in
> the case of Ni Cad) or can I just top it off (as in NiMH)?

Like anything else there are two different schools of thought on this.
Personally, I use mine till it runs out and put another in. Having a spare
battery is great if you're shooting something important and want to be 100%
sure you'll have battery if needed. Then again, you can just charge the one
in the camera before your planned shoot and not worry about it.

Rita

Ed Ruf

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 22:45:19 GMT, in rec.photo.digital Bob Allison
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I received my D70 yesterday. Love it so far. Big step over my Epson-3000
>I bought in 2001.

Enjoy!

>1. When I turn off the camera the remaining exposures stays on. Is this
>normal?

As others have said, yes, it's normal.

>I have a couple others pertaining to battery life but will hold off until
>I have a chance to find answers on the web.

Also, do yourself a favor and read the manual to get a glimpse of what is
covered there. Also go to the Nikon tech support site and download a pdf
copy of the manual, so you can search by keywords, very helpful. If looking
for something more consider Thom Hogan's A Complete Guide to the Nikon D70.
ebook.

I'd echo the spare battery recommendations. A good supplier in the US is
http://www.thomas-distributing.com They last quite a while, but always nice
to have a spare handy. Being Li-ion there's no self discharge like NiMh, so
the spare is always ready to go.

Have fun!
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at