Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Best spots to shoot parade of sail on San Diego Bay??

Best spots to shoot parade of sail on San Diego Bay??

MarkČ

"EF in FLA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:aASKe.5810$(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> (1) Which spot of the four is the BEST of the BEST.
>> (2) Where exactly on the best spot is the 'ideal location' to shoot the
>> parade of sail

> Geez, I'd imagine you'll see big boats sailing by no matter where you
> stand.
> Apparently you are seeking the "super lucky happy golden answer" from
> someone here, but maybe just maybe you'll have to use some trial and
> error.

That's great when you can easily re-shoot from another location.
In this case, you won't be able to move around like that, and the even only
happens once a year.

> Keep the sun at your back and you'll do fine.

Words of a snapshooter. -Don't know if that's what you are, but you're
talking like one.

For the rest, it is the difference between a shot worth using/printing and a
shot worth deleting, or sending to the tourist-photo-file.

Ronald Shu

There will be a special cruise tour by Hornblower for the parade
of sail on Aug. 17 (10:30 am). Ticket is $30. My concerns are:
(1) The cruise ship probably will sail around within the bay. Is it
steady enough to take sharp picture on the deck by a camera hand-held?
(2) I wish the captain of the cruise boat know s something about
phtography and will keep sun at the back of passingers to let them take
good lighting pictures of the parade, but it is a risky assumtion, I
know. Any ideas if you had preview experience. Much appreciate.

Ronald

Bob Salomon

In article <ddqm37$1272$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Ronald Shu <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> There will be a special cruise tour by Hornblower for the parade
> of sail on Aug. 17 (10:30 am). Ticket is $30. My concerns are:
> (1) The cruise ship probably will sail around within the bay. Is it
> steady enough to take sharp picture on the deck by a camera hand-held?
> (2) I wish the captain of the cruise boat know s something about
> phtography and will keep sun at the back of passingers to let them take
> good lighting pictures of the parade, but it is a risky assumtion, I
> know. Any ideas if you had preview experience. Much appreciate.
>
> Ronald

What about the USS Potomac out of Oakland? The lead docent has been a
photographer for decades and the boat is big enough that a choppy bay
won't cause problems.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

RSD99

"Bob Salomon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <ddqm37$1272$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Ronald Shu <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > There will be a special cruise tour by Hornblower for the parade
> > of sail on Aug. 17 (10:30 am). Ticket is $30. My concerns are:
> > (1) The cruise ship probably will sail around within the bay. Is it
> > steady enough to take sharp picture on the deck by a camera hand-held?
> > (2) I wish the captain of the cruise boat know s something about
> > phtography and will keep sun at the back of passingers to let them take
> > good lighting pictures of the parade, but it is a risky assumtion, I
> > know. Any ideas if you had preview experience. Much appreciate.
> >
> > Ronald

> What about the USS Potomac out of Oakland? The lead docent has been a
> photographer for decades and the boat is big enough that a choppy bay
> won't cause problems.
>
> --
> To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

Only problem I can think of is that Oakland is something like *500* *miles*
North of San Diego ...

Maybe when the "Tall Ships" get to the San Francisco Bay ...

Skip M

"Ronald Shu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ddqm37$1272$(E-Mail Removed)...
> There will be a special cruise tour by Hornblower for the parade of
> sail on Aug. 17 (10:30 am). Ticket is $30. My concerns are:
> (1) The cruise ship probably will sail around within the bay. Is it steady
> enough to take sharp picture on the deck by a camera hand-held?
> (2) I wish the captain of the cruise boat know s something about
> phtography and will keep sun at the back of passingers to let them take
> good lighting pictures of the parade, but it is a risky assumtion, I know.
> Any ideas if you had preview experience. Much appreciate.
>
> Ronald

Believe me, those big Hornblower Cruises "boats" are big enough so that all
you'll feel is a gentle rolling. I've shot off of them, a long time ago,
and there were no problems...

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com